Author Topic: tech support (A day in the life)  (Read 2621 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
tech support (A day in the life)
« on: September 16, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
In my job I wear various hats supporting a large user base after hours and weekends for all manner of hardware / software.

I have several very well educated folks (some are professors) I refer to as my "frequent flyers". They have very, very little common sense.

I have a few in particular who call me like clockwork, every day. Same problems, over and over and over.

I have tried teaching them. I have tried holding their hands. I have tried being trite with them.

Today was the cliched "straw that broke the camel's back".

User calls and says "All of our computers are down, you need to get up here ASAP."

So, I wander up to see what is going on. Some yoyo turned their monitors off (and it wasn't anywhere near 'all of the computers') and they thought the computers were down.

So, I turned the monitors back on. "How did you do that?" Me:"......."

As I was leaving, I was accosted by a very irritated (and irritating) customer. One of the bigwig, head honcho types. "These machines never work, they are frustrating, AND THEY FORGET MY PASSWORDS!"

Me: "Well, let's take a look."
User tries to log into her e-mail client using her i.d. for another system.
User: "See, it never works!"
Me: "That's because you are using the wrong i.d."
User: "Oh no I am not!"
Me: "Hold on just a moment, I'll look up your i.d."
User: "Okay, but I am using the correct i.d."
Me: "Look here. This is the i.d. you are supposed to use for e-mail."
User: "When did you guys change my i.d.?"
Me: "We didn't."
User: "THEN THE COMPUTER FORGOT MY I.D. THEY ALWAYS DO THIS!"
Me: "....."

Half an hour later, same person calls up.

User: "I can't get into xyz application, it says my password is invalid."
Me: "I just reset that password for you this morning, remember?"
User: "Of COURSE I remember. It's not working now though."
Me: " Did you change your password after I gave you the new one?"
User: "I don't know."
Me: "Uh, okay, just for the fun of it, let's try the password I gave you this morning. Type in 'cornflakes' at the password prompt."
User:" Ok.... wait.... Okay, it's working now. WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?"
Me: "......." (We are NOT to tell them it's a problem with the biological interface, and I couldn't think of anything else)

3 1/2 hours later, same user.

User: "I can't get into xyz again."
Me: " Are you using the password I gave you this morning?"
User: " Y-E-S."
Me: "Try typing 'cornflakes' in at the prompt."
User: "Oh. That worked. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE STUPID COMPUTERS?"
Me: "Quite honestly, you are forgetting your password. I find it strange that I can remember your password and you cannot."

(Telling them this is a no-no, and I bet I will hear about it, but I am sick of this day-in and day-out)

User:" GRAAACK! GRUMBLERUMBLE DOOMANDGLOOM SMITINGSANDTHREATS!"
Me: "I am also going to schedule you some training." (Something I CAN do with impunity)
User: "GRONK! I HAVE A PHD XYZ LMNOPQ and I AM THE DIRECTOR OF THIS DEPARTMENT BLAH BLAH BLAH! THESE COMPUTER SYSTEMS SUCK BLAH BLAH BLAH! YOU DONT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO BLAH BLAH BLAH!
Me: "Actually, I DO have the authority to do that. I also have the authority to lock down your accounts to prevent 'mistakes'. I would prefer, however, to help you with your passwords and accounts so that we don't have to go through this every day."
User: "WHO IS YOUR MANAGER? GET THEM ON THE PHONE TO ME IMMEDIATELY!"
Me: "John Smith, 555-1212. E-mail address is jsmith@anywhereusa.net"
User: "CLICK!"

About 45 minutes later, my boss calls. After I explained my side of the story and told him this has been going on for MONTHS, he said those magical words. "Lock the accounts. I'll call the user and notify their superior. If the user is having this much trouble, I don't think training is going to help. If the user calls back again, transfer them to Dr. Williams (the IT Security director) and let him handle it."

1 down, so many, many more to go.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 12:29:03 PM »
Oh my
I don't even know what else to say
Except probably some rude comment about the state of publik education in amerika today.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:47:47 PM »
Grisly, you must have tremendous restraint and character. Either that, or those aggression inhibitors are working wonders.

~GnSx

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:57:39 PM »
I tend to bit a bit more technologically adept than many of the people in our office so, by default, I become the in-house tech support. I feel your pain.

Let's see....

There's the guy who somehow keeps deleting his Inbox folder in Outlook Express. Not the contents, the entire folder.

There's the assistant (wife) of one of the agent's who manages to run a couple of stapled or recently glued pages through the copier every time she uses it, promting a call to the service tech. The office place we have the copier leased from have offered to get her one of the radio shock collars like you use to train dogs to stay away from things.

There's the receptionist who insists on using her space heater, which has a nasty habit of causing line transients when it power-cycles. Of course, the owner has no concept of line transients. He also has no concept of power conditioners and refuses to buy one. He insists that computer companies are all evil and nobody makes a machine that's worth a darn. Our paid tech support guy sends the receptionist some flowers every year for her birthday. I also understand he offered to fix that space heater free of charge for as long as she works here.

There is the owner's wife who continually sends out partial voicemails. "Hi, this is.. oh..".  Message two. "Hi, this.. honey, which button is it again?"  Message three. "Hi, this is Mary. This, uh, I ..oh drat". Fourth message. "Hi, this.. (in background) @#$!$# Steve, I can't figure out if this stupid thing is recording. Get your butt over here and see!" Fifth message. "Hi everyone, this is Steve. Mary wanted to know......"

And there is the old farmer turned real estate agent who has been dragged, kicking and screaming, into the age of technology. He can't understand why anyone would want a stupid comuter anyway. His son help him order one - a good one, mind you. Every time he touches it something unexpected happens and it sends him into a tailspin. When he can't get it to do what he wants he reaches over and unplugs it. Then immediately plugs it back it. Sometimes you can even hear the zzzziisssh of the arcing plug when he doesn't quite pull it out all the way. Normally this happens about three times a day. After many hard drives, a couple of power supplies, several accessory cards, a system board, and a monitor, Dell has offered to buy the machine back at full price - including shipping - if he will promise never to order another one from them ever again.

Pretty good entertainment if you ask me.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 12:57:52 PM »
Score one for IT support!!!

Good onya!

I can understand her frustration, but if she has a PhD, you'd think she could remember a gorram password.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 01:03:40 PM »
but if she has a PhD, you'd think she could remember a gorram password
Oh, there are sooo many unflattering things I could say. Cheesy

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »
The problem with some of the folks with PhDs is that they think their degree makes them an expert in everything.

I'd elaborate but it would take this thread off topic.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 01:41:30 PM »
Having spent 2 years doing tech support for a college at my university when I was going to school, I came to learn quickly that education does not equal intelligence or common sense. I had several repeated conversations while there that were painfully similar to the one described by grislyatoms. The more heated of them usually ended with the esteemed educator screaming about how they should somehow be exempt from their self-inflicted technical difficulties because of their many degrees and their tenure. The only thing that made it tolerable was that the dean of the college usually took our side in professor/tech support disputes.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »
'cornflakes' is an awesome password.
I'm going to use it on the computer system of my super giant death robot.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Love, mabs.
<3
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 02:04:38 PM »
I used to do billing support, which doesn't give you quite as many stupid-user stories, but I had a few.

My favorite was a nasty elderly woman who called up after we switched HBO from an analog signal (no box needed) to a digital signal (box needed.)  She berated me for a good five minutes about how the company was money grubbing, but the best part was when she screamed she was going to sue us for not notifying her:

"I'm sorry ma'am, we sent out letters two months before the change happened, I apologize you didn't receive yours."
"I throw out anything that's not a bill!"
"We also put it in the news section on the bill, in the left-hand column last month."
"I don't read my bills, I just pay them!  I've paid every month on time for as long as I've been a customer!" [Checks billing history, sees customer has been 30 days late over a dozen times, and 60 days late three times.]

At this point, I decided to see what else she was lying about, so I pulled up her call history (a log of every time the customer calls us and every time we call the customer.)  I was on a team that personally called every single one of the thousands of customers affected (most had already undergone the change years ago,) and guess what?  Dated, timestamped, and noted--"Called customer to inform of change, halfway through intro customer screamed never to call her again and hung up on me. Sub already on do-not-call and do-not-mail lists."

And the best part?  I was the one who called her.

Second place would be the guy I spent 15 minutes with trying to get his online billing system working.  The guy had forgotten his password, and was screaming at me that our system was a POS, that he was leaving us for DirecTV, that we were a bunch of thieves, and that our entire department was useless.  We were stuck on the point where he had to answer his security question to reset his password:

"I know where I met my goddamned wife!  We were at the gift shop at the Jacob Javits Center!  I've tried gift shop, javits, javits center, lower case and uppercase and everything!  The goddamned system is broken!"
[Hazzarded a guess and put in Javits Center on my screen to see what would happen.]
"Well, let's try one last combination--try J-a-v-i-t-s--"
"Oh."
"Sir?"
"Well, I told you I knew where I met my wife, I just can't spell."

I could go on with these forever now that I got started, but a perennial favorite was our AmEx users.  Far and away, more people signed up for recurring, automatic bill payment through AmEx than through Visa, Mastercard, and Discover combined.  People would then proceed to forget about their cable bill for years, until they finally received a late notice.

"What do you mean the card was rejected!  I've been using that card since before you were born!"
"Well, from what I see on the account sir, it looks like the card expired last month, at which time the payment was rejected, and our system sent you an automatic notice to update your card information."
"It wasn't rejected!  I've had this card since before plastic was invented!"
"I do apologize sir, but my screen shows your card expired.  Is it possible that AmEx has sent you a new card in the last month or two."
"Of course, BUT IT'S GOT THE SAME NUMBER!"
[Puts headset on mute, strangles stress toy, breathes a large sigh.]

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 02:27:14 PM »
I haven't been around long enough to have any of these stories, but my teacher told us all a funny one a while back, he works in the HVAC field...
Some lady had brought him one of those in-window fans...nothing more, just a fan.  She said that it wasn't cooling well and she wanted him to put some freon in it...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 03:00:35 PM »
"Lock the accounts.
How Sweet It Is.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »
I feel for in the trenches TS and some of their problem children.  The TS guys I interact with are pretty good folks, but horrifically siloed: WIn desktops, Win servers, linux/unix, networked storage, networking, engineering apps.  They are also spread thin since 3/4 have been sold off to be CSC employees.  SOme folks think loyaty is a one-way street.

The newest silo: corporate security.  Nobody but dudes 1500 miles away have the authority to fiddle with AV apps.  So, when Symantec AV v10 was installed over older versions & turned machines into bricks from noon until COB,  Our local guys had to try to fix it by fiddling around the edges & treating it like a black box.  What a charlie foxtrot.

I will make my next machine a linux box, thanks to this.  I don't mind my company having hooks and such in my machine that it imposes as mandatory apps & policies.  What I do mind is not allowing the local TS the authority to fix CFs.  I can reason with local TS & they know I am not a drooling monkey pounding on a keyboard.  Local TS also has a better understanding about what makes my company money (something corporate IT has no clue about).

Oh, another example of IT mgmt JUST NOT GETTING IT:
A few years back, I inquired if IT had a plan to support linux now or in the future.  The reply was, "We do not now and we never will support linux."  I can count the unix boxes in our building on one hand, today.  I don't even try to count the linux boxes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 04:39:38 PM »
$$$$$$$$$$$hhhhhiiiiiiitttttttttttt

My company (a MAJOR player in the industry, starts with an M, not that one) decided to put a 24/7/365 mission critical application on windows.

Shocked
I know, i know, I tried.
Oh, that's 3 years ago, there's still no code to this date, now they are re-thinking it for the 3rd time.  But it will stay on windows.

snort
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 04:45:46 PM »
Ah, a tech thread of some sort appears pretty regularly each month on one of the forums I visit. I have trouble understanding how people have so much trouble with the basics of computing, but it seems to be a very common, recurring theme. I'm definitely no computer whiz myself, but I can at least get around it.

On second thought, my mom's always calling me, asking "What's wrong with my computer? Why is it doing this? Why won't it do this? I don't know what's wrong. Fix it!"

Okay, maybe I do understand.
Andy

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 05:08:27 PM »
My new job, here in the Dallas area, is supporting $Mouse_Company.

The users get ANYTHING they want.  iTunes?  Limewire?  Other_crappy_apps?  Suuuure, here ya go.
That would be okay if they didn't try to use anything.  The winBoxen would stay up for years.  However, they insist on the rights to be able to use them...and therein lies the problem.  Even the Mac users, their problems are that $Mouse_company is a Wintel org and their stuff just hates talking to the servers...and they cant remember their passwords.

I have pages and pages of IT Help Desk horror stories but Im lazy and will only tell you one.

Me - How can I help you?

$luser - My email account is full, I NEEEEEED more room.

Me -  Hold on just a moment, let me remote in and check, you shouldn't be full
$luser - Okay.

Me - *blink* Um, you do know you dont have to keep emails from 2001, especially jokes and goofy pictures.  If you wait long enough they will come around again.  Or, even better, since oyu have a CD-R drive on your PC, why dont you save them to disk, delete the ones in your inbox, and take the CD home.
$luser - I dont trust those things, I want to keep them in the $app.

Me - Um, sorry, can't do it.  Sending this ticket to Dir of IT and let him come explain to you how it works.  You are clogging the servers and you PC with non-work related stuff.  Have a nice day.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 06:41:01 PM »
People are myopically clueless everywhere.

I work for a major cellphone company.  Some highlights of the past week:

-A 10 year customer informs us he's quitting.  We've had three major changes in plans available since he joined, and for the third time, we failed to call him personally to let him know we have new plans available.  Never mind that  1.  We have 20 million customers nationwide  2.  The FCC prohibits us from doing just that, and  3.  That's what we spend many millions of dollars on advertising for.

-What Vodka7 said.  Never mind the specifics; they've all blended together.

SCREW THIS!!  I come here as a relief from my job.  and truthfully, half the idiots I deal with daily work for us.   :nearpostalseething:
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 09:52:34 PM »
Gris, does your boss need any more folks? I'd LOVE to have a manager who'd back me on something. Anything...

About a month before I got outsourced, the company showed up. Fun part was that they knew EVERYTHING. Didn't ask any questions...

Then they started "fixing" stuff that wasn't broken. Okay... Even stuff that I "suggested" that they avoid touching... Then they started wondering why it didn't work anymore.

You know, I miss a lot of the people I worked for, but I sure as hell don't miss my immediate management.
Blog under construction

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 04:44:10 AM »
Bogie - Been there, done that, at my last job. Co. got bought out by another, the folks coming in had a "conqueror" complex. We were told not to interfere with them.

One day, we are sitting in the computer room when here come some of the new hotshot networking guys. 20 minutes later they are wheeling our core switch out on a dolly.

Calls from EVERYWHERE. "Nothing's working." No kidding? An hour later here come the "conquerors", wheeling the switch back into the computer room.

All - Sounds like a lot of folks have been there, done that. Cold comfort to see I am not alone, but at least it's some comfort. Thanks for all the responses, folks.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 06:31:59 AM »
I have a user like yours.
A couple times a week, she will call me, frantic, because "the computer is misreading my password!"
I go to her desk, type in exactly what she tells me her password is, and it works.  She is truly convinced that the computer is misreading what she is typing.
Another user, in a similar situation, accused me of fixing it before I came over to her desk, so I would look good in front of everyone.