Author Topic: My guard dog Normandy.  (Read 2301 times)

helpless

My guard dog Normandy.
« on: June 05, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
Norman for short. He is 10 weeks old, 14 pounds and huge paws. Picked him up from the Humane Society this weekend. He is well behaved and seems to be already house broken.

I work late at night and I was looking for a dog to stay home with the woman for security reasons. I have had dogs before and have experience with obedience training. As far as bringing up a dog with home security in mind do you guys have any advice on raising a friendly yet protective dog? i.e. some badguy wont be able to just slip the dog a treat and and "Good boy" to get past the dog.

You guys see that show "it takes a Thief" on Discovery. The guy breaks into peoples homes to show how easy it is and he never has a problem with dogs. Even when the owners think of their dog as being tuff.

Any advice?

He seems to have some German Shepard in him and the vet said today that he will prob get to be about 80 lbs buy the looks of his knees and paws.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

onions!

Re: My guard dog Normandy.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 01:49:56 PM »
Good looking pup!
No ideas on the training.

***THREAD DRIFT***
condolences Mike

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
The German Shepherd background is probably good. The hearding breeds are usually highly intelligent and protective of their "Herd" and territory so training should emphasize that. We had a Belgian Shepherd (Groenendael/Sheepdog) that was very protective and that we lost to lymphoma in December, '06 at age 9. Outside the home he would calm down and let straingers pet him....eventually. He would never eat food they offered. He was highly protective of the house/yard as we worked within these boundaries daily and he recognized the borders. He acted differently in our yard vs. in town. He also chased off two bear intrusions on our home, one that partially broke in a window. Good dog!

Our other long-time dog is a Humane Society mix of Lab, chow, others. She barks at cars going by, but would lick a burgler to death. It must be in heredity somewhat! She is about 14 now.

In the summer last year I got a Border Collie/St Bernard mix female from Humane Society. I thought our older female was sure to go first and the Belgian Shepherd would always get so upset and chew the furnature if left alone. He ended up leaving us first and we had two females with no real protective instincts (at the time). The puppy is beginning to overcome her fears and challenge other dogs and humans in our yard. At 8 weeks (guess) she was 12 pounds and huge feet. She is now 10 months old and 65 pounds.

Last Christmas we got a 1YO male Belgian Tervuren. He is like the Belgian Shepherd only black/tan instead of solid black. Within a week he was protective of our property. When hiking on city trails he will not let his guard down enough to eat dog treats others may offer. Our problem is to socialize him vs. protectiveness.

Your dog's German Shepherd heritage is good for a protective instinct. For training for home intruders and the tricks they may play, have an unknown (to Norm) person come to your door/fence and act aggressively while offering treats. Praise your dog if he is aggerssive and let the situation slowly de-escalate. Walking Norm around the house and around the property boundary will imprint his territory and make him more likely to be protective.

Very nice looking dog by the way!

Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

helpless

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:54:15 PM »
Hey thanks mountainclmbr, for taking to time to type all that out. I am going to try the bit about having a stranger come to the door and walk the property line.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 07:03:10 AM »
helpless,

The protective instinct will probably take a while to develop, but imprinting territorial boundries is something you can start with a puppy. Many puppies will have irrational fears that they eventually outgrow. Our Border Collie/St Bernard used to run and hide under the bed if anyone came to the door. It didn't take too long before she was too big to fit under the bed. at about 9 months she suddenly stopped being afraid of other people and would bark if someone came to the door. She is still afraid of thunder, just like our 14YO dog. During a thunderstorm it is a race between them to get to a good dark spot in the bathroom to hide. The Belgian Tervuren just seems confused about why they ran away. It is really funny how their personalities can vary.

I am starting to work with our Belgian Tervuren on agility training. A Tervuren (Maxwell) almost won the 24 inch class Eukaneuba Invitational national championship last December. Maxwell was fastest, but was disqualified for stepping off the "see-saw" obstacle before the far end touched the ground. I attached a link to the video of this match. If you click on "Diesel and Maxwell" you will see the overlay video of the winner, Border Collie Diesel with Belgian Tervuren Maxwell. Maxwell is the one that looks like a long-haired German Shepherd. Note that the dogs are responding to the handler's commands. The dogs don't get to see the course layout before they run.

http://www.akc.org/events/agility/invitational/2006/videos.cfm

Here are also some good dog training articles:

http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/articles.htm

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 10:01:52 AM »
Nice looking pup!

helpless

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:46:39 AM »
 Thanks again mountainclmbr
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:31:40 AM »
You are welcome helpless. Let me know how things are progressing. I am doing the training with the two younger dogs. The 14YO dog is too set in her ways to do anything now. I began working on tracking drills this weekend. I live right next to the Roosevelt National Forest boundary (700,000 plus acres) and have plenty of area for practice. With the Belgian Sheepdog that we recently lost to cancer, I could hike over 1/2 mile into the forest and hide. My wife would let him out after a pre-determined time. He could always find me, even if I was hiding in heavy brush. We had to work up to 1/2 mile though. We started the two new dogs at about 100 yards, first with the dogs released individually then together. The first try, I had to whistle and call a bit. The second time, they knew they needed to search for me. There is so much more work to do and not enough hours in the day!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:15:02 AM »
Our recently deceased old girl beagle, had a very deep bark when she wanted to sound fierce, and if someone came to the front door she did not know, you might think there was a huge dog inside. But, if you actually came in she was the sweetest dog. She had the territorial instincts to some extent, but not the temperament to back it up.

The newer beagle, doesn't have much in the way of territorial instincts yet, except where tasty looking rabbits and other small critters are concerned.

Personally, I think unless you want to spend a lot of money on dog training, your best bet is not to rely on a dog for much more than a trip wire. They are pretty good at that, but unless you have expensive professional training for the dog, you are best off not trying for an attack dog. Most dogs have some instinct to warn their humans if someone is sniffing around and shouldn't be, but you really don't want the dog to attack except on command. A dog attack is potentially lethal and needs to be considered in that way, similar to owning firearms.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:32:11 AM »
Having lost both of my dogs in the recently, I can only wish you the many years of joy that I had with Ruger and Nikky.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 09:16:44 AM »
Mike,

Did you get a new dog?

We got a new male dog pretty quickly last December because spring time can be a very bad time for bear break-ins. We found a dog show breeder that had a 1YO male Belgian Tervuren that had a slight teeth alignment problem develop as he matured, a disqualification in silly dog shows. He saw our yard as his territory by spring time and would have raised all kinds of commotion if a bear was sniffing around the house.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »
My dog Nikky died Saturday morning.

No, I have not gotten a new dog yet, and I likely won't for quite awhile.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »
I am really sorry to hear that Mike.

helpless

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 11:00:56 PM »

We just had a rott die on monday. Sucks x2, he was part of the family.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 02:48:00 AM »
The funny thing about dogs is they protect us, thier mastors.  When we're not around, they usually could give two poops. 
That's a good looking pup.  I imagine the German in him is going to be a huge asset.  Dogs have deep rooted instincts in thier training.  My Brittany pup points birds. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »

That's awful.  You shouldn't rush right out to get another companion... but you shouldn't wait a long, long time, either, unless you really need to.  You won't be "replacing" Nikky, and there are good dogs that deserve life sitting in the shelters.