Author Topic: Ron Paul on the 2nd Amendment  (Read 5952 times)

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
Re: Ron Paul on the 2nd Amendment
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2007, 12:42:27 AM »
I thought to myself "Hey a thread about Ron Paul and the Second Amendment, I like both of those."

When I opened the thread, I was greeted with a pleasant trio of videos to show me that Ron Paul is possibly the most gun friendly presidential candidate this country has seen in a long long time. "Wow" I thought "This is great, there must be more. After all, there are two pages"

So I scrolled through, expecting to find more about the glorious 2nd Amendment and it's potential savior. But soon reality set it.....

The only thing I found was disappointment.....

Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2007, 01:58:17 AM »
So I scrolled through, expecting to find more about the glorious 2nd Amendment and it's potential savior. But soon reality set it.....

The only thing I found was disappointment.....

That's Ron Paul for you.  It all sounds so great.  Until you get to the Iraq part of the platform - then he just wants to give up and run. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2007, 05:01:14 AM »
I thought THR L&P was closed?  Wrong again....sigh...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »
The war in Iraq was sold to us with false information. The area is more dangerous now than when we entered it. We destroyed a regime hated by our direct enemies, the jihadists, and created thousands of new recruits for them. This war has cost more than 3,000 American lives, thousands of seriously wounded, and hundreds of billions of dollars. We must have new leadership in the White House to ensure this never happens again.

Both Jefferson and Washington warned us about entangling ourselves in the affairs of other nations. Today, we have troops in 130 countries. We are spread so thin that we have too few troops defending America. And now, there are new calls for a draft of our young men and women.

We can continue to fund and fight no-win police actions around the globe, or we can refocus on securing America and bring the troops home. No war should ever be fought without a declaration of war voted upon by the Congress, as required by the Constitution.

Under no circumstances should the U.S. again go to war as the result of a resolution that comes from an unelected, foreign body, such as the United Nations.

Too often we give foreign aid and intervene on behalf of governments that are despised. Then, we become despised. Too often we have supported those who turn on us, like the Kosovars who aid Islamic terrorists, or the Afghan jihads themselves, and their friend Osama bin Laden. We armed and trained them, and now were paying the price.

At the same time, we must not isolate ourselves. The generosity of the American people has been felt around the globe. Many have thanked God for it, in many languages. Let us have a strong America, conducting open trade, travel, communication, and diplomacy with other nations.

I'm sorry I must be absolutely insane, because this sounds reasonable to me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »
"I'd say the American treatment of certain Indian tribes was closer to true genocide than anything the Brits ever did."

Ah. Of course.

Read up on some of the things that the BRITISH to native tribes in North America.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Len Budney

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2007, 02:26:04 PM »
Read up on some of the things that the BRITISH to native tribes in North America.

True. I used to live near Amherst, MA. There's a movement there to rename either the town or the university--I forget which, and probably both. But Lord Jeffrey Amherst was technically a Brit, not an American.

Still, the Indian wars after the War for Southern Independence were definitely a classic example of genocide. Anyone who gets smug on the subject is going to find that whatever nation he hails from was also a party to comparable atrocities.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2007, 09:32:55 AM »
"Still, the Indian wars after the War for Southern Stupidity were definitely a classic example of genocide. Anyone who gets smug on the subject is going to find that whatever nation he hails from was also a party to comparable atrocities."

Actually, no, the Indian wars were NOT a classic example of genocide.

The avowed purpose of governmental action in the west of the Civil War was to move the plains Indians off their traditional lands, onto defined reservations, and open former Indian lands to white settlement.

Had it been an exercise in genocide, the Bureau of Indian Affairs would never have been established, reservations would never have been established, the whole Indian Schools System would never have been established.

Had it been an exercise in genocide, the Indians would have been slaughtered where they were with no emphasis given to moving them to reservations, or they would have been slaughtered at the reservations.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Len Budney

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2007, 10:19:50 AM »
The avowed purpose of governmental action in the west of the Civil War was to move the plains Indians off their traditional lands, onto defined reservations, and open former Indian lands to white settlement.
... but that didn't quite work out according to plan, so the majority were simply slaughtered. If it HAD gone according to plan, we could say that it wasn't "genocide," but it was still a crime of biblical proportions.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2007, 11:15:32 AM »
I was more thinking of the actions of the "49'ers" in California. But then I realized that it wasn't a state yet, so I suppose "American" is a bit off.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.