Author Topic: Its a Female Dog, or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal?  (Read 3181 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Its a Female Dog, or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal?
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
Freedom of speech? What's that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/nyregion/07bword.html?ei=5090&en=8bb9b60b7da0d2ed&ex=1344139200&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

August 7, 2007
Its a Female Dog, or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal?
By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM

The New York City Council, which drew national headlines when it passed a symbolic citywide ban earlier this year on the use of the so-called n-word, has turned its linguistic (and legislative) lance toward a different slur: bitch.

The term is hateful and deeply sexist, said Councilwoman Darlene Mealy of Brooklyn, who has introduced a measure against the word, saying it creates a paradigm of shame and indignity for all women.

But conversations over the last week indicate that the b-word (as it is referred to in the legislation) enjoys a surprisingly strong currency  and even some defenders  among many New Yorkers.

And Ms. Mealy admitted that the citys political ruling class can be guilty of its use. As she circulated her proposal, she said, even council members are saying that they use it to their wives.

The measure, which 19 of the 51 council members have signed onto, was prompted in part by the frequent use of the word in hip-hop music. Ten rappers were cited in the legislation, along with an excerpt from an 1811 dictionary that defined the word as A she dog, or doggess; the most offensive appellation that can be given to an English woman.

While the bill also bans the slang word ho, the b-word appears to have acquired more shades of meaning among various groups, ranging from a term of camaraderie to, in a gerund form, an expression of emphatic approval. Ms. Mealy acknowledged that the measure was unenforceable, but she argued that it would carry symbolic power against the pejorative uses of the word. Even so, a number of New Yorkers said they were taken aback by the idea of prohibiting a term that they not only use, but do so with relish and affection.

Half my conversation would be gone, said Michael Musto, the Village Voice columnist, whom a reporter encountered on his bicycle on Sunday night on the corner of Seventh Avenue South and Christopher Street. Mr. Musto, widely known for his coverage of celebrity gossip, dismissed the idea as absurd.

On the downtown club scene, he said, munching on an apple, the two terms are often used as terms of endearment. We divest any negative implication from the word and toss it around with love.

Darris James, 31, an architect from Brooklyn who was outside the Duplex, a piano bar in the West Village, on Sunday night was similarly opposed. Hell, if I cant say bitch, I wouldnt be able to call half my friends.

They may not have been the kinds of reaction that Ms. Mealy, a Detroit-born former transit worker serving her first term, was expecting. They buried the n-word, but what about the other words that really affect women, such as b, and ho? Thats a vile attack on our womanhood, Ms. Mealy said in a telephone interview. In listening to my other colleagues, that they say that to their wives or their friends, we have gotten really complacent with it.

The resolution, introduced on July 25, was first reported by The Daily News. It is being considered by the Councils Civil Rights Committee and is expected to be discussed next month.

Many of those interviewed for this article acknowledged that the b-word could be quite vicious  but insisted that context was everything.

I think its a description that is used insouciantly in the fashion industry, said Hamish Bowles, the European editor at large of Vogue, as he ordered a sushi special at the Condé Nast cafeteria last week. It would only be used in the fashion world with a sense of high irony and camp.

Mr. Bowles, in salmon seersucker and a purple polo, appeared amused by the Council measure. Its very Paris Is Burning, isnt it? he asked, referring to the film that captured the 1980s drag queen scene in New York.

The b-word has been used to refer to female dogs since around 1000 A.D., according to the Oxford English Dictionary, which traces the terms derogatory application to women to the 15th century; the entry notes that the term is not now in decent use.

But there is much evidence that the word  for better or worse  is part of the accepted vernacular of the city. The cover of this weeks New York magazine features the word, and syndicated episodes of Sex and the City, the chronicle of high-heeled Manhattan singledom, include it, though some obscenities were bleeped for its run on family-friendly TBS. A feminist journal with the word as its title is widely available in bookstores here, displayed in the front rung at Borders at the Time Warner Center.

Robin Lakoff, a Brooklyn-born linguist who teaches at the University of California, Berkeley, said that she despised the word, but that enforcing linguistic change through authority almost never works, echoing comments from some New Yorkers who believed a ban would only serve to heighten the words power.

If what the City Council wants to do is increase civility, it would have to be able to contextualize it, said Ms. Lakoff, who studies language and gender. You forbid the uses that drive people apart, but encourage the ones that drive people together. Which is not easy.

Councilman Leroy G. Comrie Jr., the Queens Democrat who successfully sponsored a symbolic moratorium on the n-word that was adopted Feb. 28, said he supported Ms. Mealys measure, but acknowledged that the term had many uses.

We want to make sure the context that its used is not a negative one, Mr. Comrie said yesterday.

Back at the West Village piano bar on Sunday evening, Poppi Kramer had just finished up her cabaret set. She scoffed at the proposal. Im a stand-up comic. You may as well just say to me, dont even use the word the. 

But at least one person with a legitimate reason to use the word saw some merit in cutting down on its use.

Wed be grandfathered in, I would think, said David Frei, who has been a host of the Westminster Kennel Club dog show in New York since 1990. The word is a formal canine label that appears on the competitions official materials. But Mr. Frei said he worried about the words impact on some viewers, especially younger ones.

I think we have to take responsibility for that word on the air. The reality is its in the realm of responsible conduct to not use that word anymore.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Its a Female Dog, or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:12:17 PM »
I always knew New Yorkers were "Mealy Mouthed."

Do you suppose it would ever occur to these jokers to enact legislation that would actually improve the quality of life in that cesspool?  Something like allowing CCW, or closing all the public schools.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Len Budney

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »
See? Once you start banning words, you just can't stop. Betcha can't ban one!(tm)
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 02:57:47 PM »
See? Once you start banning words, you just can't stop. Betcha can't ban one!(tm)

This is one of the reasons I object to banning words, or making them 'swears' that are politically incorrect.  Just look at a good thesaurus for some behaviors considered incorrect over time - they'll have dozens of synonyms.  For example, the meaning of the word prostitute is an alternate for words for at least two animals and three fruits.

For the preservation of the language, I propose we keep the words we have, as we have those words for a reason, and to ban or prohibit them will only create a reason to use another word for the purpose.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 03:02:39 PM »
But the "O to B**ch in .3 seconds" bumper stickers and "B**ch Goddess" t-shirts let you know which no-class, loud-mouth broads to avoid.    sad

So, you ban a word in the name of feminism, and you're a great social reformer.  You try to ban it in the name of decency, and you're the Taliban.  Ah, irony.  We Bible-Thumpers have been opposed to this word for a long time.  When will the "feminists" catch up with us?   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

James Odom

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:48:50 AM »
I think this is how Newspeak got started in "1984."  See, if we just put plus in front of good, we can eliminate great, fabulous, wonderful, and a whole host of other words.   Similarly, we don't need bitch if we just use plus ungood woman, or double plus ungood woman in extreme cases.

Too bad we don't have some kind of Constitutional amendment to protect this sort of thing.  rolleyes
RT

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:50:39 AM »
What?

If NY bans that, what are we going to call Hillary?  grin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
Mrs President?

Where's the puking smiley...

Chris

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »
They're banning bitches from NYC???

Doesn't that result in about a 55% reduction in population?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
I have no link, but I swear I heard somewhere last week that NY City was also contemplating that by 2010 it will be illegal to feed babies formula; that they must be breast fed.   rolleyes
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 06:21:52 PM »
[Councilwoman Darlene] Mealy [of Brooklyn] acknowledged that the measure was unenforceable, but she argued that it would carry symbolic power against the pejorative uses of the word.

Why are there not local protests over this kind of crap?  Do people think that sending a message by putting selectively-enforced laws on the books is actually a good idea?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:27:59 PM »
Why are there not local protests over this kind of crap?  Do people think that sending a message by putting selectively-enforced laws on the books is actually a good idea?
There should be. I know I'm sick and tired of politicians wasting time on symbolic feel-good nonsense when there are plenty of real issues that should be dealt with.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 06:32:03 AM »
D. R. ZINN

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 06:39:10 AM »
Does this mean like 95% of movies are banned from airing in NYC?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 07:17:06 PM »
For the preservation of the language, I propose we keep the words we have, as we have those words for a reason, and to ban or prohibit them will only create a reason to use another word for the purpose.

Yes. Ban the b-word, and another word will be given the exact same meaning and will rise up to take its place. Different set of syllables, same intent. And therefore, did you really do anything? (not to imply that this is something the government should be meddling with in the first place.) Sounds like a losing proposition. 
Andy

Len Budney

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 09:36:57 PM »
Yes. Ban the b-word, and another word will be given the exact same meaning and will rise up to take its place. Different set of syllables, same intent. And therefore, did you really do anything? Sounds like a losing proposition. 
Taboo words have exactly that problem. For example, Polynesians worshiped volcanoes, so to say the word "volcano" was forbidden. But the word they used in its place gradually earned the taboo, and was in turn forbidden. And so on. Linguists haven't the faintest clue what the original Polynesian word for "volcano" was, because it's been replaced almost as frequently as every generation, and is way lost in the mists of time.

The same thin happens with words referring to minorities. The allowable substitute gradually starts being used in a negative way, and has to be replaced. Thus we get: negro --> colored --> black --> of color --> African American.

--Len.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 01:24:46 AM »
The allowable substitute gradually starts being used in a negative way, and has to be replaced. Thus we get: negro --> colored --> black --> of color --> African American.
Thank you for not posting the really negative ones (we all know what they are).
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 01:55:12 AM »
negro --> colored --> black --> of color --> African American.

Gasp.  Hate-speech!!   shocked
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Vlad

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 03:01:32 AM »
Quote from: LadySmith
Thank you for not posting the really negative ones (we all know what they are).

I think that was actually the point. Those terms are considered negative by most people I know. I think he was pointing out that every term he used was the "PC" or "Preferable" term at one time. In the times they were used it was the nicest descriptor availabe. Then slowly they took on the same negative conotation the words they were replacing had, so they had to be replaced in just about the order he posted. Those terms aren't "vulgar" but, calling someone a negro in todays social climate might earn you a butt-whippin. At one time it was a sign of respect or endearment because you hadn't called them the N-word.

Words carry as much weight as you lend them. There is no panacea for "hurt feelings" nor was there ever a "right" to not be offended. Part of life as a pack animal is learning how to interact with the other members.

Politicians making laws like this, without being tarred and feathered for it, makes me weep for what the grand experiment has become. I shudder at the thoughts of what it WILL become if nobody stops things like this locally.

Len Budney

Re: It’s a Female Dog, or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal?
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 03:09:18 AM »
I think that was actually the point. Those terms are considered negative by most people I know. I think he was pointing out that every term he used was the "PC" or "Preferable" term at one time. In the times they were used it was the nicest descriptor availabe. Then slowly they took on the same negative conotation the words they were replacing had, so they had to be replaced in just about the order he posted. Those terms aren't "vulgar" but, calling someone a negro in todays social climate might earn you a butt-whippin. At one time it was a sign of respect or endearment because you hadn't called them the N-word.

Vlad, exactly. In their day, those were the words that good nonracists were supposed to use.

My grampa sounded horribly prejudiced to my ears, because he always said "colored" or even more charmingly, "those coloreds." But he was actually using the polite word from his own day; he was just too cussed old to let anyone tell him that the polite word was now rude, and he had to switch to a new one.

--Len.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 03:49:48 AM »
Ar one time "Black" was a very derogatory word.
I am sorry the word Negro fell out of favor.  It is the best word and has plenty of cognates in other languages.  The said people are not black (any more than I am white).  They are not "African American" since virtually none of them was born in Africa.
The whole race business stinks.  I had a Jordanian in my shop buying a gun and on the 4473 they ask race.  He said "what do I put?"  He wasnt white strictly speaking.  Jordan is in Asia so he was technically an Asian.  BUt this isnt what they wanted.
Eliminate the whole sorry business.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 03:55:07 AM »
Maybe next time I fill out a 4473 I will put Human down for my race. 

If the doesn't work maybe just, what difference does it make?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 04:57:21 AM »
It's absurd.  I had another customer come in, a middle aged man in his 50s.  He looked exactly like the Italians I remember from my childhood in NYC (most of those from southern Italy/Sicily).
When he filled out the 4473 he checked Black.  I asked him and he said "thats what I am."  What am I supposed to do?  Tell him he doesnt look Black?  Ask for his Black identity card?  See if he tap dances or likes watermelon?
It's just dumb.

Len Budney

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 04:59:33 AM »
It's absurd.  I had another customer come in, a middle aged man in his 50s.  He looked exactly like the Italians I remember from my childhood in NYC (most of those from southern Italy/Sicily). When he filled out the 4473 he checked Black.
Yep. A south-African college student got in trouble because he checked "African" on his admission paperwork. Apparently white-skinned Africans aren't African.

--Len.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 09:58:39 AM »
They are not "African American" since virtually none of them was born in Africa.
The whole race business stinks.
I was quite amused a few years ago at the high school administration police that got their panties in a serious bunch when the student body voted for the "Outstanding African American Student" and selected the only actual immigrant from Africa, a South African girl who was white, blonde, and blue-eyed.   cheesy  grin