Author Topic: Its a Female Dog, or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal?  (Read 3180 times)

m1911owner

• friend
Re: Its a Female Dog, or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 10:15:06 AM »
Yep. A south-African college student got in trouble because he checked "African" on his admission paperwork. Apparently white-skinned Africans aren't African.

I would really love to see what a court would do with that case!  I can't really see any way to adjudicate that, that wouldn't make a completely mockery of "What race are you?" blanks, and create ten times as many new questions as it answers.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 10:57:26 AM »
Both the president of our synagogue and the gabbai are African Americans.

Dr. Meyerowitz was born in Bethlehem SA and Dr Schach in Capetown and both are now American citizens.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »
Rabbi, Len, Vlad,

Thanks for saying all of that about "Negro," "colored," etc.  I wish more people could figure that out.  Like The Rabbi, I would also like to see "Negro" make a comeback.  It's a good word that should offend no one. 

I was quite amused a few years ago at the high school administration police that got their panties in a serious bunch when the student body voted for the "Outstanding African American Student" and selected the only actual immigrant from Africa, a South African girl who was white, blonde, and blue-eyed. 

How does a school get away with even voting for such a title?  It practically screams that Blacks can't be "outstanding" among the larger student body.  Doesn't it? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »
Eliminate the whole sorry business.
I know it's happened at least once before, but I'm still surprised there's something I agree with Rabbi on.

Loan officers here in California are (or were?) required, if an applicant declines to state, to fill in what they think best describes the race of the person.
D. R. ZINN

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 01:24:11 PM »
I was quite amused a few years ago at the high school administration police that got their panties in a serious bunch when the student body voted for the "Outstanding African American Student" and selected the only actual immigrant from Africa, a South African girl who was white, blonde, and blue-eyed. 

How does a school get away with even voting for such a title?  It practically screams that Blacks can't be "outstanding" among the larger student body.  Doesn't it? 

Indeed.  Plus, if they were to have an "Outstanding White Student", or "Outstanding Euro-American Student", you just know that:

1.  There would be riots;

2.  they'd burn down the school; and

3.  there would be an injunction faster than you can say "Ruth Bader-Ginsburg."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 01:26:52 PM »
Eliminate the whole sorry business.
I know it's happened at least once before, but I'm still surprised there's something I agree with Rabbi on.

Loan officers here in California are (or were?) required, if an applicant declines to state, to fill in what they think best describes the race of the person.

You'd be surprised how often we're likely to agree.  Its just disagreeing is so much more fun.

When I did the loan biz I would often have applications by phone.  I'd fill it out and shop it to a lender.  They'd ask me the race and I told them I didnt know.  They asked me to guess based on the person's voice!  I can tell you I have mis-judged both ways a whole bunch of times.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »
Why are there not local protests over this kind of crap? 

How about a massive Bitch Parade for owners of female dogs?  They can all walk their dogs and carry signs declaring how proud their are to have bitches.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »
I would love to see that happen.  Love it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »
Or proud to have a Son of a Bitch. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Vile Nylons

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 05:54:01 AM »
Councilwoman Mealey has not walked the streets of NY enough.  In the colorful "city of adjectives"  attacking the word "bitch" would send a symbolic message indeed .... of how naive or perhaps ignorant she truly is.     

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2007, 06:27:27 AM »
If they banned the "f-word" (and could enforce it), New Yorkers would talk as slowly as the rest of Americans.

When I first started with the company I work for, we had two gentlemen of Negroid race in our department and two OTHER gentlement who were "African-American" (African by birth, naturalized Americans). One born in Ethiopia (he was Arabic) and one South Africa (he was English-Dutch) in our department, which caused us all, from the blacks to the whites with the spectrum in-between a moderate amount of amusement at attempts at politically correct racial labeling.

And Cosine has a point when his is turned to the reverse as well

Taboo words have exactly that problem. For example, Polynesians worshiped volcanoes, so to say the word "volcano" was forbidden. But the word they used in its place gradually earned the taboo, and was in turn forbidden. And so on...

Words not emoted upon by the victim lose their cutting power as well.

For example the words "White trash", "PWT" "Hillbilly", "Redneck", "Hilljack", etc.

When my mother was too small to recollect (I heard this from her older brother), some of their neighbors used it to describe them because they were southernors who were poor, and talked with a southern accent. By the time I was old enough to remember, the term was something angry old men shouted when we cut the corner on the sidewalk and walked across the edge of their precious lawn, having exactly the relevance of the word "whippersnapper" to a youngster in the late 70's. Today it's a term of pride used to denote a type of youth "rebellion" , and is quite possibly only used perjoratively by one person in the U.S.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Len Budney

Re: It’s a Female Dog, or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal?
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
When my mother was too small to recollect (I heard this from her older brother), some of their neighbors used it to describe them because they were southernors who were poor, and talked with a southern accent...

In my corner of the north (central CT, to be exact), "white trash" referred generally to poor, lower-class whites, but most especially to lower-class whites living in poor black neighborhoods (or trailer parks, unless they were retirees).

When I went to Brown, I once made an impassioned argument that the "white" in "white trash" was an anti-black slur: the import of the phrase is that some whites are trash; that this is outside the norm; and by implication that all non-whites were automatically "trash." In other words, someone who says "white trash" would presumably consider it redundant to say, "black trash." I argued that "white-trash" should therefore be defined as "whites who are treated with contempt by identifying them with the black community." Since I myself lived in a poor black neighborhood and was called "white trash," I concluded that the term by definition made me an honorary black, and that I should be allowed to join the African American Student Alliance. I mostly meant it: I really believe that bigotry against blacks and "white trash" are intimately connected. My tongue was only slightly in my cheek.

Anyway, not only was the entire thesis brutally rejected, but folks actually twisted it around so as to call me racist for even suggesting it. Go figure.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
I once made an impassioned argument that the "white" in "white trash" was an anti-black slur: the import of the phrase is that some whites are trash; that this is outside the norm; and by implication that all non-whites were automatically "trash." In other words, someone who says "white trash" would presumably consider it redundant to say, "black trash."

I have pursued the same line of reasoning, although I stopped right about there.  Agreed that "white trash" is a slur to non-whites, although it is not usually meant that way. 

Len Budney

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 03:52:02 PM »
I once made an impassioned argument that the "white" in "white trash" was an anti-black slur: the import of the phrase is that some whites are trash; that this is outside the norm; and by implication that all non-whites were automatically "trash." In other words, someone who says "white trash" would presumably consider it redundant to say, "black trash."

I have pursued the same line of reasoning, although I stopped right about there.  Agreed that "white trash" is a slur to non-whites, although it is not usually meant that way. 

Well, this was at Brown. It would've been a coup to be allowed to join the African American students' society. It would almost be worth the savage beatings I'd suffer after opening my mouth on almost any subject imaginable at their meetings. Cheesy

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.