Author Topic: TSA checks IndyGo bus passenger  (Read 2361 times)

Ron

TSA checks IndyGo bus passenger
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:54:19 PM »
Star staff
August 2, 2007

Screeners from the Transportation Security Administration checked passengers at two Downtown city bus stops this morning, looking for weapons and suspicious behavior.

David Kane, federal security director for TSA in Indianapolis, called it a "VIPR" operation.

"It's called Visual Intermodal Prevention Response. We have plainclothes inspectors, blue-gloved uniformed security officers who are checking baggage, the behavior detection officers, and federal air marshals, which are the law enforcement arm of TSA."

Security stations were set up at bus stops at Capitol Avenue and Market Street, and Ohio and Meridian streets.

Some passengers were patted down or submitted to having bags checked.

TSA said the searches were “by-permission,” meaning patrons could decline to be checked. Those who did would not be turned away, an official said, unless they otherwise appeared to be a security threat.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/LOCAL/70802006

-------------------------------------------------------

make sure you have your papers in order in Indy

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: TSA checks IndyGo bus passenger
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:32:58 AM »
TSA is expanding to city buses now? Wow. I suppose all forms of public transportation falls under their jurisdiction. How soon do you think before the "by-permission" searches become mandatory? I really don't want to be searched or groped just trying to go about my business if I have to take transit. They can have my car when they pry my cold dead forehead off the dash. Of if the price of gas gets prohibitive. In that case, I have a bicycle. Don't make me use it.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:52:16 AM »
blue-gloved uniformed security officers

Two by two...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 03:48:47 AM »
Maybe they needed more nail clippers to sell on Ebay.  The fiscal year is coming to a close and they probably need the money and/or need to justify their jobs.

But if they are at the city bus terminals who was doing the screening at the airport.  I know when I flew out of Tulsa and Dallas back in May they didn't seem to have enough screeners on duty as it was.  Now maybe I know where they were.  It is just now that someone is talking about it.

What is next?  TSA screeners at toll booths before you are allowed to use a toll road?  If they do that in Oklahoma no one moves from Tulsa or Oklahoma City very far, very fast.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 03:49:25 AM »
TSA said the searches were by-permission, meaning patrons could decline to be checked. Those who did would not be turned away, an official said, unless they otherwise appeared to be a security threat.

So if there's an actual terrorist, they're going to say "No, you cannot search me." Um. What does this accomplish, again, besides wasting taxpayer money?

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 04:19:22 AM »
blue-gloved uniformed security officers

Two by two...
I see I'm not the only one that thought that.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 04:34:01 AM »
What does this accomplish, again, besides wasting taxpayer money?

It accomplishes the task of customizing sheeple to random searches of their person.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 04:41:39 AM »
Two by two...

I was gonna say the same thing. Life is imitating art.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:32:20 AM »
But those guys look friendly by comparison.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 08:25:40 AM »
What does this accomplish, again, besides wasting taxpayer money?

It accomplishes the task of customizing sheeple to random searches of their person.

thats about 50% of what it is about. the rest is naked empire building. we need to just eliminate TSA altogether along with 30 or 40 other government agencies that serve no real purpose, or whose functions could easily be outsourced.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 08:30:50 AM »
Two by two...

Great minds think alike, I see.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 08:49:36 AM »
Well that and we've all probably watched every episode 867 times.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SomeKid

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 08:54:15 AM »
So, for the rest of us who haven't a clue what the 'two by two' means but wonder if it involves children because it sounds Michael Jackson style weird; want to let us in on the secret?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »
So, for the rest of us who haven't a clue what the 'two by two' means but wonder if it involves children because it sounds Michael Jackson style weird; want to let us in on the secret?

Firefly. "Ariel" episode.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 11:56:16 AM »
SomeKid-

One of the characters in the series "Firefly" is a shadowy organisation/company called Blue Sun. Certain representatives of this organisation closely resemble the Men In Black, always travelling in pairs, and always sporting the blue nitrile gloves. But wait; remember the MIB memory-eraser dealie? Yeah, the blue-hand guys' dealie makes your brain explode inside your head. Really creepy types.

Two by two,
hands of blue...
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »
TSA is expanding to city buses now? Wow. I suppose all forms of public transportation falls under their jurisdiction. How soon do you think before the "by-permission" searches become mandatory?

I expect that this will continue... "DUI" checkpoints more frequent, TSA showing up at more and more locations... if they introduce this a little bit at a time, in 10 years when you have to go through TSA checkpoints for any form of public travel or to cross state lines won't be so shocking.  Some people will wistfully remember a time when they could travel freely, and most of the sheep will line up, bleating quietly, waiting for their turn to show their papers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 03:35:52 PM »

So if there's an actual terrorist, they're going to say "No, you cannot search me." Um. What does this accomplish, again, besides wasting taxpayer money?

The chance for federal employees to feel people up for personal amusement?

I indirectly know a guy who assaulted a TSA agent who was in the process of sexually harassing his girlfriend.  Here's a clue for any TSA personnel reading.  Before you feel up a nice looking well-endowed young lady, ask her beforehand if her boyfriend is a member of any local National Guard unit.  You never know when an angry boyfriend will be standing about 20 ft away wearing BDU's, carrying an M16A2 and have other buddies in BDU's nearby.  A properly executed "buttstroke to the head" series is a rather painful but educational experience. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SomeKid

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 03:58:23 PM »
Maned/Stick

Thanks guys. I have seen the episode, it didn't come back readily till you guys mentioned it.