Author Topic: Anyone know anything about ASVAB scores?  (Read 4369 times)

wooderson

• friend
Anyone know anything about ASVAB scores?
« on: August 11, 2007, 08:31:26 PM »
Being vaguely within drafting range, the draft talk got me curious. I have no particular desire to join, so I don't want to talk to a recruiter and withstand the months of calls. So instead I took one of the official online tests tonight, 200 questions. I'm just curious if anyone knows where I'd stand as far choosing an MOS/field and so on. (As you can see, God made me an English major, and left me lacking in the hard sciences.)

General Science 15/25 - 60%
Arithmetic Reasoning 29/30 - 96.6%
Word Knowledge 33/35 - 94.3%
Paragraph Comprehension 15/15 - 100%
Auto & Shop Information 20/25 - 80%
Mathematics Knowledge 22/25 - 88%
Mechanical Comprehension 9/25 - 36%
Electronics Information 11/20 - 55%

I could improve general science, I believe - I got my sciences out of the way early in high school and so I haven't taken any kind of math or science since I was 16 (turning 26 this year). Mechanical Comprehension appears to primarily be physics, and god I hated physics in school so that may be a lost cause. (In fact, honors physics is the prime reason WHY I never took another science class.) Electronics information - I could learn it, but that wouldn't be the job I'd be asking for anyway.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Anyone know anything about ASVAB scores?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:38:45 PM »
The scores that you posted here are of no use.  The actual scores that are looked at is the overall score called a GT score and then scores based on the other subjects.  Not sure of the range but most of the higher educating MOS's require GT scores at or above 105 and then usually a high score within a specific category. 

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 06:49:06 AM »
Looks like something clerical would be more suited for you. Wmenorr is right, those scores don't equate to what the military actually uses.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:22:18 PM »
I hit in the 99th percentile...

While I was stoned offa my butt following a long night partying, without sleep.

And that was the second time I took it, just to prove that the first one wasn't a fluke.

In 1984, they wanted me to go to Monterrey and learn Arabic...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 06:54:15 PM »
Well, Bogie, so did I, but sober.  It ain't a hard test.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SomeKid

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:37:30 PM »
wood, can you post a link to where you did that test? Just for kicks I'd like to take it.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:02:57 PM »
I have a couple of ASVAB pages bookmarked somewhere.  I have to go on mission shortly, but when I get back I'll put up the links.  Like everyone else has said, you need to compute your line scores from those raw scores to figure out if you are eligible for a certain MOS.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 12:48:39 AM »
http://www.military.com/ASVAB should be a 'correct' test, but it's gonna sign you up for subsequent emails.

I scored in the 99th percentile as well. As fistful said, it's not hard. And yet, people still flunk it (and you only have to score in the 32nd percentile to pass).

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 05:13:18 AM »
That's the one I took - with a fake name/phone #/address. Can't fake the e-mail, though, so I recommend GMail.

(no offense to the nice recruiters, but I had enough of the calls and junk mails in and after high school)
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 07:03:10 AM »
Here are two webpages I've found very useful.  I strongly recommend checking out usmilitary.about.com if you have questions about the military.  It's a very detailed, thorough website and I used it a great deal when I was deciding to enlist.

The first page is here and deals w/ your "line scores."  Line scores are computed from your raw scores and determine your eligibility for each MOS.  However, I'm not quite sure how they are computed.  I've never seen a line scores higher than 142, but the minimums requirements are all in the 90-100 range.  Based on the formulas on that page, calculating using your percentage scores is way too high, while using your "number correct" score is way too low.  I really don't know what to say.

That page will at least give you an idea what test areas you need to score high in for a certain MOS.  A more general page on the ASVAB is also available here.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:18:54 AM »

I scored in the 99th percentile as well. As fistful said, it's not hard. And yet, people still flunk it (and you only have to score in the 32nd percentile to pass).

I met a 'person' that scored in the 14th percentile.  Lemme put it this way, the chair probably could have scored at least a 20.  Even the Marines wouldn't take him.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »
We referred to the stupid soldiers as "ASVAB Waivers."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Len Budney

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
We referred to the stupid soldiers as "ASVAB Waivers."

And do you pronounce that more like az-vab, or ass-fab?  cool

--Len.

In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »
During the late 80s, as a Navy Recruiter, I saw some people allowed to join the military with scores as low as 17 on the ASVAB. Usually, it was the Army. I just could never fathom how one could graduate high school and score that low. It STILL boggles my mind.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Barbara

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 01:05:24 PM »
Another 99 here.