Author Topic: When the news actually makes you laugh with a picture...  (Read 6927 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
When the news actually makes you laugh with a picture...
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »
What's Wrong With This Image, Kids? 

An elderly Iraqi woman shows two bullets which she says hit her house following an early coalition forces raid in the predominantly *expletive deleted*it Baghdad suburb of Sadr City. At least 175 people were slaughtered on Tuesday and more than 200 wounded when four suicide truck bombs targeted people from an ancient religious sect in northern Iraq, officials said. (AFP/Wissam al-Okaili)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: When the news actually makes you laugh with a picture...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:28:34 PM »
So they are throwing ammo now instead of using it in their guns?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:29:19 PM »
So they are throwing ammo now instead of using it in their guns?

Brad

Well, it worked in "Hot Shots Part Deux", didn't it?  laugh

Len Budney

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
What's Wrong With This Image, Kids? 

I guess the Iraqis are so poverty stricken that they have to reload the ammo shot at them, so they can shoot it back!  grin
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 01:27:19 PM »
Wow, and it didn't even ding up the brass  grin

I guess it proves that the news media is no less incompetent over there than they are in the USA  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:30:56 PM »
That doesnt make it inaccurate.  They might have fallen off somewhere and hit her house.  I have ammo hitting my floor etc all the time.  I don't think anyone is going to get killed from it though.
Don't people think before they write stuff like this??
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:32:58 PM »

Don't people think before they write stuff like this??

You have to ask?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »
"What's Wrong With This Image, Kids? "

Um, that's actually Moammar Khadafi under that burqa, and not a woman?

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 02:02:44 PM »
Those look like WSM or some other overbore cartridges.  Where did she get those?

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 04:09:05 PM »
Those look like WSM or some other overbore cartridges.  Where did she get those?

From the photographer floor of her house.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 03:49:55 AM »
I guess it proves that the news media is no less incompetent over there than they are in the USA  rolleyes
Hey, don't badmouth the new media - I have it on good authority that journalism students in college are largely drawn from the ranks of those who scored well into the double digits on their high schools SATs . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 04:34:33 AM »
They look awful nice and shiny also.  Don't recall any of my ammo looking that shiny over here.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Len Budney

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 04:38:10 AM »
They look awful nice and shiny also.  Don't recall any of my ammo looking that shiny over here.

I'd bet $2 that it was supplied by the photographer. It struck me as well that Iraqis probably don't polish their ammo as a general rule.

Correction: I'm an idiot. That's supposed to be coalition ammo, not Iraqi ammo. I wondered why she was holding .223, when I assume Iraqi Kalashnikovs are mostly chambered in 7.62x39.

--Len.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 06:33:44 AM »
I saw this on Michelle Malkin's site. Hitting some of the links, I saw that this woman is featured in at least a half dozen other propaganda photos.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 06:46:47 AM »

That look like XM193 to me, is it? Is that standard for urban fighting, or would it be M855?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 09:42:33 AM »
"What's Wrong With This Image, Kids? "

Um, that's actually Moammar Khadafi under that burqa, and not a woman?

Silly!  rolleyes

It's Manuel Noriega in drag... (Life is pretty rough in a fed.gov supermax...)
I promise not to duck.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 10:58:11 AM »
I've gone through the photos linked and it looks like they've taken that one down.  Can't imagine why.  They still have two others of her up though. 

A woman displays bullets after a raid in Baghdad's Sadr City August 12, 2007. Two men were killed while nine others were arrested during a joint raid by the U.S. and Iraqi military forces in Sadr City early on Sunday, police said. REUTERS/Kareem Raheem (IRAQ)

And

Umm Abdul Zahra holds spent ammunition she found near her home after an overnight raid by U.S. troops in the *expletive deleted*it enclave of Sadr City in Baghdad, Iraq on Sunday, Aug. 12, 2007. Police and residents said U.S and Iraqi troops backed by helicopters raided the east Baghdad neighborhood on early Sunday, killing two people and wounding 4 others. The U.S. military said it was looking into the report. (AP Photo/ Karim Kadim)
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »
OK, those appear to be the real deal, jacket fragments from a .50 BMG.

It hit her house.

Well, guess what?

Iraq is a frigging war zone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Len Budney

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »
Well, guess what?

Iraq is a frigging war zone.

Since the invasion was not a defensive war in the first place, and we started it, that's a bit like an arson saying, "Aw, your belongings destroyed by fire? Well guess what: your apartment building is a frigging inferno."

I admit that I'd like to see your reaction to the same statement, if you were the "collateral damage."

--Len.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 11:27:40 AM »
"I admit that I'd like to see your reaction to the same statement, if you were the "collateral damage."

rolleyes

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Len Budney

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »
"I admit that I'd like to see your reaction to the same statement, if you were the "collateral damage."

rolleyes

I don't see what's such an eye roller about that. You're an innocent bystander, and opposing forces sweep through your neighborhood shooting up the place. Then, when you get a trifle irate, one of them says, "What the hell did you expect, buddy? There's a war on!" For context, suppose that the opposing factions are, say, the Crips and Bloods. You have no interest in their stupid war--but your property has been declared a war zone by thugs that have nothing to do with you.

--Len.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 11:44:36 AM »
It's a war zone.  Bad things happen. If the Iraqis had it together to oust Saddam then they wouldn't be in that situation.  I don't know that this woman wasn't a staunch Baathist supporter before the war.  It doesn't matter.  I don't care that bullets hit her house.  If the al Qaeda and other low-lifes weren't hiding in urban areas and using civillians as shields this wouldn't be necessary.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Len Budney

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
It's a war zone.  Bad things happen. If the Iraqis had it together to oust Saddam then they wouldn't be in that situation...

You appear to be saying, "If the Iraqis had obeyed our wishes, we wouldn't be over there imposing our wishes on them using lethal force." Which sounds strikingly like, "If she had only agreed to have sex with me, she wouldn't be in the situation (of being brutally raped)."

Who died and left us God's pen, with which to write decrees like, "You shall topple your ruler who poses no threat to us whatsoever, or else we'll come in and slaughter you by the bushel"?

--Len.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 11:59:56 AM »
Len?

Americans wouldn't be there if the insurgents weren't there using the innocent civilians for human shields. And worse.

Or had you not heard about how they'll bust into a house and force the families out or kill them, then use the house as a base and bomb factory?

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 12:02:17 PM »
It's a war zone.  Bad things happen. If the Iraqis had it together to oust Saddam then they wouldn't be in that situation.  I don't know that this woman wasn't a staunch Baathist supporter before the war.  It doesn't matter.  I don't care that bullets hit her house.  If the al Qaeda and other low-lifes weren't hiding in urban areas and using civillians as shields this wouldn't be necessary.
Len?

Americans wouldn't be there if the insurgents weren't there using the innocent civilians for human shields. And worse.

Or had you not heard about how they'll bust into a house and force the families out or kill them, then use the house as a base and bomb factory?

What those two said !!!  While I might agree that this war was poorly executed in the beginning, at least there seems to be some progress now.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum