Author Topic: Michigan State Po-Po downloading smartphone data on minor traffic stops  (Read 10882 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Michigan State Po-Po downloading smartphone data on minor traffic stops
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
not so!  there are many who will never be cowed,  the internet is full of them.

so with consent or warrant?  whats the beef again? 

One more time, this one's for the cheap seats.
Quote from: dogmush
The fact that they have the ability, coupled with law enforcement's tendency to push limits when they think they can is enough for me to be unhappy.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2011, 05:56:04 PM »
you have the right to pursuit of happiness. 
your "happiness" is not a right.
so to recap there is no violation?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Quote from: cassandra and sara's daddy

Oh, anybody with life experience and no agenda to promote knows there's a violation somewhere.  Probably several.  It's just that the violators have plenty of practice at dodging, obfuscation, hiding, and lying.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »

You seem unclear on how the government works.  They work for us.  If I'm unhappy, and I can get enough other people unhappy there doesn't need to be a violation.  We can change the rules so they can't do that just because enough people were pissed.  So we talk about things that make us unhappy with our friends, and them with their friends until we get enough unhappy people, then we make the cops throw away their bad toys.

Secondary purpose:
See that part of my statement about "if they think they can get away with it"?  If enough people are pissed and being loud about possible misuse of these devices, then they won't think they can get away with it.  This kind of discussion can prevent violations in the unlikely event that they aren't already occurring. 

Again, why are you so all-fired determined to give the cops every scrap of power and authority they can grasp?

• friends
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »
and they can hide it from the aclu?  and all the folks on the net?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  I forgot to mention their syncophants, defenders, and other assorted broken records.   :-*

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »

They have in the past.

• friends
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2011, 07:08:05 PM »
really?  could you be more specific?  bearing in mind the peculiar fact that were they , in fact, successful we would not know about it at all.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
Quote from: cassandra and sara's daddy
bearing in mind the peculiar fact that were they , in fact, successful we would not know about it at all.

QED!

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2011, 07:15:40 PM »
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
Lessee... MISP wants to charge the ACLU a half million to respond to the FOIA request.

Per http://www.rcfp.org/fogg/index.php?i=pt2

Paying fees

Agencies may charge “reasonable” fees for the “direct” costs of searching for and copying the records you request, unless you are entitled to fee benefits or waivers. (For instance, representatives of the news media do not pay search fees; see below.) Search fees generally range from $11 to $28 per hour, based on the salary and benefits of the employee doing the search. Fees for computer time, which are described in each agency’s FOIA regulations, vary greatly. They may be as high as $270 per hour. Photocopying costs are normally between 3 and 25 cents per page.

Search fees may be charged even if few or no documents are located in response to your request. Unless you are requesting information for a commercial use, agencies may not charge you for the time they spend examining files to determine what individual documents should be exempt from disclosure or for deleting material in those documents. News media requests are not considered “commercial” uses.

A “representative of the news media” is a person or entity that gathers and disseminates information of current interest to the public. In addition to traditional broadcasters and periodicals, it encompasses freelance journalists and sometimes bloggers if they “can demonstrate a solid basis for expecting publication” with a particular news-media entity, which might include a blog.

I could make an argument that the ACLU would qualify to be exempt from search charges.  Given that, let's say they're charged $1.00 per page copied.  I'll go 4 to 33 times the "normal" charge per copy just in case there is a charge for searching.  They should offset each other somewhat.

That still means that a half million would produce a stack of paper about 160 feet tall to deny what is alleged.

Yeah.  The MISP is being forthright and open.   :P

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »
Actually, all joking aside.

A time where Law Enforcement broke the law to infringe someone's rights, and kept it secret, but it came out later so we would know about it.

hmmm.

Well, there's this

• friends
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
so to recap again.  the title is misleading?  and there is as yet not a single instance of the alleged abue happening?  i mean in real life as opposed to some feverish fantasy?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
Would someone please put a nickel on the tonearm?  The record is stuck again...   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »

:facepalm: ;/

so to recap again.  the title is misleading?  and there is as yet not a single instance of the alleged abue happening?  i mean in real life as opposed to some feverish fantasy?

Well, some people are trying to find out and give us hard proof, but the MSP is stonewalling a legit FOIA request with bull*expletive deleted*, which pretty much indicates they really don't want something to see the light of day. If they had nothing to hide, they would have complied...(or at least, that's what the cops tell people like you and me). No one here has claimed a "feverish fantasy" as you suggest. These are very legitimate concerns...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:20:14 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2011, 11:52:33 PM »
Again, you provide evidence beyond "Oh I been around, I just kinda know the guy had it coming" in bad shoot threads, we'll (after the cops get done stonewalling foia requests) provide evidence of police mis handling in these kind of threads.

Again, just as stonewalling foia requests is a sign of guilt, so is your hypocritical BS in any threads involving cops. Nice try, but we've seen your act and know how it ends.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2011, 07:42:06 AM »
Again, you provide evidence beyond "Oh I been around, I just kinda know the guy had it coming" in bad shoot threads, we'll (after the cops get done stonewalling foia requests) provide evidence of police mis handling in these kind of threads.

Again, just as stonewalling foia requests is a sign of guilt, so is your hypocritical BS in any threads involving cops. Nice try, but we've seen your act and know how it ends.

was there a specific cop shooting you were looking for evidence on?  how about scott in las vegas?

in this thread we start with an allegation that this is being done on routine traffic stops.  surely in the age of the web one of the "victims" would come forward by now with their story.  or is this folks channeling charlene drew jarvis?

tere is a significant difference between offering an opinion and fabricating incidents

erictank

• friends
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:47 AM »

So, you're complaining about us doing... the very thing you're holding up as a defense against this sort of misdeed?

:facepalm:

• friends
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »
So, you're complaining about us doing... the very thing you're holding up as a defense against this sort of misdeed?

:facepalm:

no  i'm complaining about the fabrications.  not a lock but most of the times folks who fabricate their "incidents are speaking from an awkward position. it is in fact much like pierre the bridge builder