Author Topic: Columnist Eugene Robinson brings the Sherrod story full circle  (Read 7901 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Few nationally-published columnists can place the race card like Eugene Robinson, and the story in the Decatur Daily (hey, I have to plug my home town newspaper) here is a shining example of his talent.

Let's remember that the race card was played by both the Obama and Clinton camps during the primaries. Race wasn't used by McCain or any of the other Republican primary aspirants.

Once Obama took office, the race card began to be played repeatedly against his opponents, especially conservatives, and most especially the Tea Party movement.

The NAACP brought this to full boil when their leadership blasted the Tea Party movement as being racist.

Enter Andrew Breitbart and his video of Sherrod. That the incident she detailed happened 24 years ago is not the point. The point of the video was the reaction of the crowd at the event to Sherrod's treatment of the white farmer. The video shows the racism of at least a sizable number of NAACP members present.

Now enter Eugene Robinson to cast blame, not on those on the left who have played the race card until it's become dog-eared. Not to blame the media for allowing this race war to play out. Nor to blame Sherrod for here past actions, nor the people in the audience who took pleasure in Sherrod's treatment of the farmer, nor the NAACP itself, nor the administration for throwing her under the bus because she was an instant black liability, then offering her job back because she was once again an instant black liability.

Nope. All of the above is once again the fault of a vast right wing conspiracy to take down Obama.

And don't try to argue with me, you racist Nazi's.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Columnist Eugene Robinson brings the Sherrod story full circle
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:14:28 AM »
The video shows the racism of at least a sizable number of NAACP members present.

Actually, it shows nothing of the kind. You should watch it. 

What it really shows is that Sherrod is a class-warrior (which is at least as bad as being a racist), and she's a little bit kooky.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 01:19:58 AM »
I did watch it, and listened. People were taking pleasure in her description of the first encounter.

BMacklem

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »
Eugene Robinson sounds just like Eugene Kane here in Milwaukee.
Both leftist "journalists"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
I did watch it, and listened. People were taking pleasure in her description of the first encounter.

I guess it's all very subjective, but all I heard were a few chuckles. This is understandable; irony is very humorous. I would have chuckled a bit myself, if I were there.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »
Breitbart should have waited for another example.  His example required an analytical listener to pay attention to both the speaker and the audience; a skill I fear has been bred out of the herd.  He wanted an example of racism in the NAACP's house too bad and therefore overrode his own smarts.  NAACP is the lead element in attempts to brand TEA party as racist and it will be so branded.  If they can't find legitimate examples some will simply be created.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
Eugene Robinson sounds just like Eugene Kane here in Milwaukee.
Both leftist "journalists"

I'm obviously familiar with Eugene Kane. The big difference between the two is that Eugene Robinson isn't as provincial, and so has a larger worldview, even if it is viewed through the prism of race.

A friend of mine, who's been the de facto leader of the pro-gun movement in WI for decades (I'm sure you know him), once had a lunch with Eugene Kane. In fact, Kane wrote a column about sitting down and talking with a pro-gun person, the tone of which was like writing about sitting down and talking with a Martian.

Anyway, my friend said that what struck him the most about Eugene Kane was that he never leaves the ghetto, so he doesn't have anything to use to reference his views except the ghetto view.

This is understandable; irony is very humorous. I would have chuckled a bit myself, if I were there.

The irony is that Obama promised to be a post-racial president and help heal racial divides. Instead the country is now more divided racially than it was 19 months ago, and it's not because us crackers are out there burning crosses.

Eugene Robinson looks at all of this and somehow finds a way to bring the blame all the way around again to the conservative white crackers where it supposedly all started, even though it started with the liberals. No matter.

This is the same Robinson who wrote a column eulogizing the later Senator Robert Byrd and dismissing his KKK past, even though Byrd wasn't a lowly member of the KKK, but was a leader and recruiter in the same KKK that was responsible for lynchings and murders of blacks, and who can be heard on tape saying horrible things about blacks. It's okay with Robinson, though, because Byrd shed the KKK costume to run for senate and become part of the Democrat candy machine.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »
Yes, the Tea Party will eventually be branded racist, but the reality is that racism breeds racism breeds more racism, and we are trapped in that dysfunctional nightmare right now with no easy way out given the players and the process.  The Tea Party is not, I'm afraid, the last iteration of what's coming.  The Left will not be content until there's an all-out race war in America, even if it ends up ravaging their own, and that may be the only way to resolve this.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
Yes, the Tea Party will eventually be branded racist...

The Tea Party has been branded as racist by every conceivable liberal voice. It was the NAACP's branding of the Tea Party movement as racist that led Breitbart to air the Sherrod video.

Breitbart has offered $100,000 to anyone who can produce video showing Tea Party members calling black congressman the "n" word as alleged by many in the media and the Black Democratic Caucus. With all of the cameras that were at the Capitol that day, one would think somebody recorded at least a part of of it, but none seem to have recorded what would have been a very visible exchange. The $100,000 is still on the table.

However, the charge that congressmen were spat upon and called the "n" word is now taken as gospel by the media. Nobody tries to fact-check a major story, but instead accept the word of the congressmen at face value.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 12:53:53 PM »
They've been accused already, yes, but so far it's impressed no one but the rabid left.  My point is just that the polarization is far from over and will get increasingly malignant.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »
So do you think that more of the population will view the Tea Party movement as racist, or less?

I think the public is getting sick of hearing calls of racism. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
So do you think that more of the population will view the Tea Party movement as racist, or less?

I think the public is getting sick of hearing calls of racism. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

I think that anyone left of center views the Tea party movement as "tea bagger, nazi, bigots."  The rest of the country sees the movement as a opposition to obama and the his policies, whether they agree with them or not.

As far as the country getting sick and tired of calls of racism, the country, I think, was getting over racism.  40 and 50 year olds grew up in a time when people were just people.  Your  friends were whatever color they were.  That being said, I think that obama is bringing back racism.  I guy I know from work, asks me everyday "when is someone going to shoot that (bad word) n?##%^?"
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29:43 AM »
Racism existed long before the founding of the Republic, and will likely outlive it.  I don't condone it, I search my own conscience to expunge it from my personality.  All that said, there is and will be an irredeemably racist element of our society, regardless of the laws of the land.  More laws will not reduce racism beyond the irreducible minimum (circular, I know), but might in fact create a racist backlash in those who would otherwise NOT be racist.  Enough!  End racial quotas, race-based evaluation, race conscious politics.  Accusations of racism by those on the Left are poison, and the accused has no recourse no rebuttal.  Consider the two old buzzards of the Senate, Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd.  I submit (as has been pointed out on this thread) that Byrd was BY FAR the worse, at his worst.  Who has been eulogized and lionized in death?  Not Strom.  No redemption for a conservative.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »
The effectiveness of the "racism" charge is that racism isn't confined to actions, it's also a state of mind that can't be disproved. It's the old "when did you stop beating your wife" trap.

Given human nature, a certain amount of racism is inevitable in everyone. A white person, no matter how colorblind he may try to be, will always see a black person rather than simply a person, and any introspective person knows this and to what degree he is racist. So beating the racist drum causes many people to resent being accused of a felony for a misdemeanor-level thought crime. That's where the liberals will ultimately fail in this, as they're turning the public against them with this gambit.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
Given human nature, a certain amount of racism is inevitable in everyone. A white person, no matter how colorblind he may try to be, will always see a black person rather than simply a person, and any introspective person knows this and to what degree he is racist.

Not true.  Racism may be a difficult monkey to ditch, but it's also a fairly modern invention. We may overcome it someday.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »
Modern?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »
Fistful refers to the fact that racism as an ideology (as opposed to just noticing people from a different ethnicity/'race' are physically different from you and forming stereotypes about them, which people always did)  dates back from the mid-19th century or so.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
What you call racism as an ideology is just tribalism writ large and institutionalized.  It was common, since time immemorial, for tribes to see themselves as human beings and everyone outside the tribe as disposable alien species.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »
It was common, since time immemorial, for tribes to see themselves as human beings and everyone outside the tribe as disposable alien species.

I don't know if I would go that far. People have always tended to think of their own "tribe" as being better than all the rest. Even as far back as the Old Testament, though, you find a movement to treat "aliens" with respect.

The modern idea of race, I think, developed in the Age of Exploration, when Europeans began to pull ahead of Asians, Africans, and other groups, technologically. Many of these technological advances were made in navigation, so Europeans began to compare themselves to Asians, Africans, etc, and decided that the European "tribes" were superior. So the earlier sort of tribalism expanded, and the Asians were put into one racial category, dark-skinned Africans in another, Europeans (or at least some of them) in another, etc.

By the nineteenth century (if not sooner), European and American thinkers developed formal and "scientific" reasons for what seemed to be an inherent superiority in some races, and inferiority in others. That is when words like "Caucasian" entered the discussion, based on the notion that the prettiest white people came from the Caucasus region. (No, seriously.  =|)

The Creationist in me speculates that Darwin may be to blame for influencing scientists to look for genetic explanations for differences between human cultures, rather than spiritual or moral ones.

But to address the actual thread topic:

Suspicion or dislike of people different than ourselves is a common human trait, but we know that humankind lived for thousands of years without our current ideas of race. We may do so again.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 06:54:01 PM »
Anti-semitism predates the Roman empire. Wouldn't you call anti-semitism racism?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »
Anti-semitism predates the Roman empire. Wouldn't you call anti-semitism racism?

I guess you're referring to the Old Testament Jews being attacked by the Assyrians, Babylonians, the Greeks, etc?  I'm not sure they were more put upon than other groups at that time. Warfare between various people-groups was pretty common.

But even the antisemitism of those days was, to my knowledge, quite a bit different from what we see now.  I don't think they were accused of controlling the world's wealth or eating babies back then.  (Of course, there were probably people that actually did eat babies in the ancient Near East.) 

In any case, like I said, people have always been suspicious or hateful to those of a different tribe or nation or language.  What makes modern racism ("modern" in Western historical terms starts at about the 1500s or so) different is that the different white tribes are lumped together in the good column, and all the black African tribes are lumped together in the bad column.  And I think Microbalrog is correct about it being more formalized or more of an organized belief system than the mere xenophobia of ancient times.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 06:22:57 AM »

Racial anti-semitism, tho, which hates jews based on their ethnic heritage rather than religion, is very new.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »
The effectiveness of the "racism" charge is that racism isn't confined to actions, it's also a state of mind that can't be disproved. It's the old "when did you stop beating your wife" trap.

Given human nature, a certain amount of racism is inevitable in everyone. A white person, no matter how colorblind he may try to be, will always see a black person rather than simply a person, and any introspective person knows this and to what degree he is racist. So beating the racist drum causes many people to resent being accused of a felony for a misdemeanor-level thought crime. That's where the liberals will ultimately fail in this, as they're turning the public against them with this gambit.
What you refer to as "racism" should be referred to Prejudice.  I was always under the impression that "RACISM" was taking prejudice beyond simply thought to the next level of hatred and active action.  However, I realize that the word "racism" has been watered down so much that the difference is almost meaningless in popular use.  

IMO, everyone is prejudiced about any number of things in their lives simply due to their background and experiences.  Race and skin color are only one item.  I think the problem we have these days is we have almost institutionalized this anti-racism to the point that they are inventing "racism" to attack and it is extremely one-sided.  I guess that is obvious to most everyone though. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:35:10 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »
What you refer to as "racism" should be referred to Prejudice.  I was always under the impression that "RACISM" was taking prejudice beyond simply thought to the next level of hatred and active action.  However, I realize that the word "racism" has been watered down so much that the difference is almost meaningless in popular use.  

IMO, everyone is prejudiced about any number of things in their lives simply due to their background and experiences.  Race and skin color are only one item.  I think the problem we have these days is we have almost institutionalized this anti-racism to the point that they are inventing "racism" to attack and it is extremely one-sided.  I guess that is obvious to most everyone though. 

Very important point.

I admit to being prejudiced.  I do not expect there are more than a handful of humans(at least, who live and work in "the real world") who can truthfully say that they do not harbor some sort of prejudice against a race, gender, sexual preference or hair color.
I am not racist, in that I do not act upon my prejudices.

I would further argue that there is an important distinction - which is lost on the mainstream media - between prejudice and generalization.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »
Racial anti-semitism, tho, which hates jews based on their ethnic heritage rather than religion, is very new.
How new?  I was thinking that in many parts of Europe that had ghettos for the Jews, even Christian Jews were often forced to live there.  I may be wrong though. 

I'm not entirely sure I would call most of the pre-Roman stuff antisemitism as most of those kingdoms and cultures were fighting each other as well as the Jews.  The Bible documents stuff that would fit that definition though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge