Author Topic: Unexpectedly! Alabama jobless rate falls amid immigration reform  (Read 7746 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Unexpectedly! Alabama jobless rate falls amid immigration reform
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »
heresy!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lee

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
14 million Americans out of work, and you have no issues with adding to the workforce, both legally and illegally?

I'm sorry... I believe my whole post was about the issues.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
Interesting that the pro-crime side of the immigration debate seems so pleased with our alleged dependence on illegal alien labor and/or taxes. As if that were not a problem, all by itself. (If we need them as badly as some claim.)
A little voice in the back of my head keeps asking me if the slave owners in 1850 kept saying they couldn't get rid of those slaves or they would be out of business. 

I also keep thinking that if someone was paying $10 or $15 per hour to pick crops when I was a teenager, I think a whole bunch of us would have been out picking crops.  $3.35 per hour working at a pizza place 5 or 6 evenings a week sucked.  I know a few guys who I went to A&M with who had to earn most of their own way through who would have loved to make that kind of money.  It makes me wonder how much effort they put to getting the word out that they need labor.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »
The truth of the matter is that labor should be a free market resource, but because of the existance of welfare, it is not.  Available labor in this country is unfairly shelved, paid to sit home and do jack diddle *expletive deleted*ing *expletive deleted*it.  It is then replaced with illegal labor, at a lower rate.  But, that illegal labor also comes with an additional toll against resources (as I've already stated).  People would be beating down the doors of the employers at reduced rates if it weren't for the government tainting the labor pool. 
Driving the illegals out will force the question "why won't americans do this work?" And maybe with that cold hard truth we can begin to really address "entitlements".
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
Don't forget the evils of the minimum wage.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
Honest question:  if we believe in free markets, why shouldn't we allow people to choose to hire people from other countries?   Why should the government have the power to license each individual worker?

I do not see how immigration restrictions for work purposes can ever be compatible with a free market. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »
Honest question:  if we believe in free markets, why shouldn't we allow people to choose to hire people from other countries?   Why should the government have the power to license each individual worker?

I do not see how immigration restrictions for work purposes can ever be compatible with a free market. 

It's not a question of licensing workers. It's a matter of keeping track of who's here legally. We have all sorts of citizens of other countries here to work.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »

That sounds like a you problem. "Free market" is constantly misinterpreted to mean some kind of anarchic situation in which laws and rights do not apply to the operations of businesses. In a truly free market, business is not allowed to steal or kill, but neither may it magically grant foreigners a right to cross national borders.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »

Absolutely.  Bringing in workers illegally from outside the market, then paying them below-market wages under the table.  Such a wonderful example of the free market at work.   ;/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »
Honest question:  if we believe in free markets, why shouldn't we allow people to choose to hire people from other countries?   Why should the government have the power to license each individual worker?

:O  I actually agree with you.

As I stated, the real problem is that our government places available labor on the dole, at a higher rate than they could be making doing honest work (like picking crops).  This artifically sets the labor rate above "minimum" wage (don't get me started on that travesty as well).  

But....
WE DO NOT HAVE A FREE MARKET.
The government has its dirty little fingers in every step of the process.  Besides placing available labor into the government dole, government taxes the snot out of businesses, places onerous restrictions and regulations on the hiring and employing of labor. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 12:06:31 PM »

Nice try at a straw-man.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.