Author Topic: Dystopia now: lights out in Detroit  (Read 7745 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Dystopia now: lights out in Detroit
« on: May 28, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »
Detroit, too broke to maintain it's streetlights, decides to turn half of them off. This should not be happening in America.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-24/half-of-detroit-s-streetlights-may-go-out-as-city-shrinks.html
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Dystopia now: lights out in Detroit
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »
This should not be happening in America.

Is Detroit still in America, or is it in the Obamanation?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
Detroit, too broke to maintain it's streetlights, decides to turn half of them off. This should not be happening in America.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-24/half-of-detroit-s-streetlights-may-go-out-as-city-shrinks.html

Coming soon to a municipality near you.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
“You have to identify those neighborhoods where you want to concentrate your population,” said Chris Brown, Detroit’s chief operating officer. “We’re not going to light distressed areas like we light other areas.”

Which of course, are the areas most susceptible to violent crime. I could understand the fiscal logic if they gave citizens the opportunity to defend themselves. When Sacramento, CA started laying off a lot of deputies due to their budget crisis, the Sheriff went essentially "shall issue" on CCW. Doubt that option will be available in Detroit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
Huh? Isn't Michigan shall-issue already? Or am I missing something?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »

Tulsa did something similar a few years ago but when they shut off half is more like every other one
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
Huh? Isn't Michigan shall-issue already? Or am I missing something?

Maybe I am. I thought Detroit had some municipal restrictions?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »

Colorado Springs shut off every other light quite a while back.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »
Colorado Springs shut off every other light quite a while back.

For a lot of places, that's actually an improvement; the excess light keeps people from getting dark-adapted, which makes for difficulty seeing into shadowed areas.  A better solution is to replace all the lights with ones that are properly shielded (redirecting the 40-50% of light output that often goes into the sky) and about a quarter of the original output (resulting in about half the original useful output) but turning every other one off is sort of an interim measure.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:52:00 PM by KD5NRH »

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:46:08 PM »
I imagine that if there was a profit to be made by keeping the lights on, they would stay on.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
Turning off every other light fixture is different than turning out the lights on the bad neighborhoods...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
For a lot of places, that's actually an improvement; the excess light keeps people from getting dark-adapted, which makes for difficulty seeing into shadowed areas.  A better solution is to replace all the lights with ones that are properly shielded (redirecting the 40-50% of light output that often goes into the sky) and about a quarter of the original output (resulting in about half the original useful output) but turning every other one off is sort of an interim measure.

+1000. Besides saving a lot of electricity (and hence, money) it also makes life easier for amateur astronomers.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »
I'm sure the Detroit ghetto is full of amateur astronomers who'll be delighted at this... :rolleyes:

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »
I'm sure the Detroit ghetto is full of amateur astronomers who'll be delighted at this... :rolleyes:

Light pollution from large cities can effect areas that are far larger than the city itself. It wouldn't be just the ghetto that would be affected.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »

Yes, many of them want to make sure as many people see stars as possible.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 05:19:03 PM »
Michigan is a shall-issue state, but Detroit is one of the many municipalities that has placed illegal restrictions on residents for years.  I understand there is legislation in the works that may change this, but one needs to obtain, from the local police, a permit to purchase a handgun.  One used to also need to bring the handgun in after purchase for a "safety inspection" aka registration.  The law required permits and "safety inspections" to be available during the department's regular business hours, but many municipalities blatantly refused to do that.  I don't know the details of Detroit's policy, but I know they had one.  Lansing only issues permits and conducted "safety inspections" two days a week.  

As for the idea that this should not be happening in America? Well, it would be nice if it wasn't.  I personally wish that I had been born and raised and built connections some place that hasn't been in economic decline my entire life.  It would be nice if I could make a living and possibly even have a decently running car and a small house after having spent thirty years pursuing a professional education. But I wasn't.  Detroit is severely contracted and cannot possibly even pretend to maintain its deadweight.  The people of Detroit wish that wasn't the case.  But it is.

Whether this is how things should be or not is immaterial.  This is how things are.  We all have to live in realityland, even if that means we can't keep all the lights on.  

They've been saying the last person out of Detroit should turn the lights off for decades now.  About time someone got around to flipping that switch.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
Michigan Republican House and Senate and R Governor will shortly delete the laws that require police permit to purchase and the "safety inspection" (read illegal registration) requirement by LE. 
The State Police supported these bills, but at the last minute now opposes them.  I smell political machinations from D's.  There is also a movement to obliterate laws on no concealed carry locations.  But the R's are losing their nerve on this one.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
Michigan Republican House and Senate and R Governor will shortly delete the laws that require police permit to purchase and the "safety inspection" (read illegal registration) requirement by LE. 
The State Police supported these bills, but at the last minute now opposes them.  I smell political machinations from D's.  There is also a movement to obliterate laws on no concealed carry locations.  But the R's are losing their nerve on this one.

Grampster, I've heard this, but went to read the bill and just couldn't find that in it anywhere.  RaspberrySurprise had the same experiene--actually it was his comments that prompted me to look up the text. There's definitely some politicking going on.  Whole thing just seems kinda' fishy.  Of course, I may have been reading the wrong version, or someone missed a cross-ref when they posted it.  I dunno what's going on there. 

I sure hope that that bs is getting gone, but I'll reserve my dancing in the streets for the day when they eliminate the language prohibiting any person with a diagnosed mental illness from obtaining a CPL.  It's not only ludicrous and arguable unconstitutional, but it demonstrates vast ignorance on the part pf the drafters about the nature of mental illness.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 08:54:44 AM »
Bridgy, if you're speaking of the deletion of no carry zones, not in these bills.  Separate issue and Speaker Bolger and others seems to indicate a lack of will to change this.

The Permit to purchase and "safety inspection" deletion came out of committee unanimous on the R side and no support from the D side according to an MLive story last week.  Those bills default Michigan to the federal purchase rules and eliminate the "safety inspection" registration scheme.  CPL holders avoid the Michigan rules now as part of the Shall Issue law.  Records are still sent to the State Police and I suspect they are illegaly kept on record.

I agree with the lack of knowledge on mental illness.  I had a very close friend who was mentally ill who ended his own life because he couldn't deal with it and how his behavior while in the throws of it wrecked his family.  Although his drinking and drug use exacerbated his illness.  I experienced the lack of understanding and treatment trying to help out from time to time.  Not much has changed.

I doubt seriously that knowing that lack of understanding, anything will ever change regarding CPL.  There is too much fear involved and that drives politics.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »

I thought the areas that had the lights going off were the ones that had almost nobody in them at all. Save maybe bears and deer.

What I find myself wondering is if the areas that have the streetlights going off will have their bulbs and parts salvaged as spares for the parts they are keeping lit. Or is that too much to ask of the city.

Perhaps instead of stiffing GM's bond-holders, and handing that value over to the UAW, the Obama Administration should have granted them large land-tracts of Detroit. The UAW seems quite adept at keeping their little corners of Detroit in nice shape.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=uaw+center+detroit&hl=en&ll=42.33792,-83.013715&spn=0.003077,0.005085&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.432436,83.320312&t=h&hq=uaw+center&hnear=Detroit,+Wayne,+Michigan&z=18
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »
I thought the areas that had the lights going off were the ones that had almost nobody in them at all. Save maybe bears and deer.

What I find myself wondering is if the areas that have the streetlights going off will have their bulbs and parts salvaged as spares for the parts they are keeping lit. Or is that too much to ask of the city.

If they're going to do that, maybe they should look into the scrap value of the lamp posts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »

This has been happening in America for centuries.

Cities are born, cities die.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »

Perhaps instead of stiffing GM's bond-holders, and handing that value over to the UAW, the Obama Administration should have granted them large land-tracts of Detroit. The UAW seems quite adept at keeping their little corners of Detroit in nice shape.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=uaw+center+detroit&hl=en&ll=42.33792,-83.013715&spn=0.003077,0.005085&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.432436,83.320312&t=h&hq=uaw+center&hnear=Detroit,+Wayne,+Michigan&z=18

Spare parts?  No, no, no.  what they are really talking about is that they won't repair the lights that start going on and off all the time.  At any given time, half the lights will be overload/overheat and shut off while the other half already did so and are coming back on. 

I think other operative word is that Detroit is not actually going broke, they are just running short of money to give away to cronies and need to cut back somewhere useful to make sure they don't run out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »
Spare parts?  No, no, no.  what they are really talking about is that they won't repair the lights that start going on and off all the time.  At any given time, half the lights will be overload/overheat and shut off while the other half already did so and are coming back on. 

I think other operative word is that Detroit is not actually going broke, they are just running short of money to give away to cronies and need to cut back somewhere useful to make sure they don't run out. 

I'm sure you're right, and any "savings" the cut backs in lighting creates are just wasted down the rathole of any number of inefficiencies and "not my job"-ism, just like those famous pictures of piles of moldering textbooks in Detroit that were new, and never used...

Although the dark areas of the city do offer some exciting potential, maybe for a night-vision motorcross racing league that has a sort of post-apocalyptic flair to it. G4 or Spike networks would probably pick it up.
I promise not to duck.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
Grampster, I've heard this, but went to read the bill and just couldn't find that in it anywhere.  RaspberrySurprise had the same experiene--actually it was his comments that prompted me to look up the text. There's definitely some politicking going on.  Whole thing just seems kinda' fishy.  Of course, I may have been reading the wrong version, or someone missed a cross-ref when they posted it.  I dunno what's going on there. 

I sure hope that that bs is getting gone, but I'll reserve my dancing in the streets for the day when they eliminate the language prohibiting any person with a diagnosed mental illness from obtaining a CPL.  It's not only ludicrous and arguable unconstitutional, but it demonstrates vast ignorance on the part pf the drafters about the nature of mental illness.

The language regarding mental illness is poorly written, but a person that has suffered from a mental illness in the past isn't necessarily prohibited.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.