Author Topic: Dystopia now: lights out in Detroit  (Read 7746 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Dystopia now: lights out in Detroit
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
Don't worry, at some point they'll use police power to stop emigration from the war zones.  All about "fairness," you know, and inclusion.  It's wrong to move away from the nightmare.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
I doubt seriously that knowing that lack of understanding, anything will ever change regarding CPL.  There is too much fear involved and that drives politics.

No kidding. I terrify people on all sides.  Trouble is the polarization in politics.  Until the recent issues of veterans with PTSD, only liberals have advocated for the rights of people with mental illness.  And only conservatives advocate for gun rights. 

If you try talking to a conservative about it, odds are for a glazed look and a patronizing "I'm so sorry you're crazy."

If you try talking to a liberal about it, odds are for a glazed look and a "but guns are DANGEROUS." 

:facepalm:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 07:48:17 AM »
but what about the gun rights of crazy people?

(Not a facetious question.  Gun rights, easy to loose, hard to get back.)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:34:53 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
No kidding. I terrify people on all sides.  Trouble is the polarization in politics.  Until the recent issues of veterans with PTSD, only liberals have advocated for the rights of people with mental illness.  And only conservatives advocate for gun rights. 

If you try talking to a conservative about it, odds are for a glazed look and a patronizing "I'm so sorry you're crazy."

If you try talking to a liberal about it, odds are for a glazed look and a "but guns are DANGEROUS." 

:facepalm:

Until someone has demonstrated they are a danger, I would be loath to impose upon their liberty.  Criminal or crazy.  A determination of danger by some pooh-bah (judge or psychologist) doesn't cut it, IMO.

Yes, it is likely more folk will be harmed because we are not preemptively slapping folk in cuffs & straight jackets & taking away their pointy objects before they do anything dangerous.  Liberty comes at a price, some of which is risk that others will not be able to handle it.

Also, I would make sure the crazy types pay just as much as the criminals for they damage they do.  It doesn't matter to their victims if they were killed via irrationality or mere avarice.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »
but what about the gun rights of crazy people?

(Not a facetious question.  Gun rights, easy to loose, hard to get back.)

Well, the problem there is that mental health diagnoses are rather subjective.

Although, in that regard, they should default to recognizing the rights of the person whenever possible. The pragmatic side of it is "they can get a gun anyway".
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »
Well, the problem there is that mental health diagnoses are rather subjective.

Although, in that regard, they should default to recognizing the rights of the person whenever possible. The pragmatic side of it is "they can get a gun anyway".

And you can get put away with little legal review.

The first* time my wife was hospitalized  I drove 50 miles, after the fact, for a legal review.  The judge or whoever it was said "why are you here?  She's out now.".  Pissed me off, that there was no review after the fact. 

*not quite, but will do for our purposes.  It's compicated
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.