Author Topic: Training requirements and gun ownership.  (Read 7702 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Training requirements and gun ownership.
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
Just like there are training requirements prior to being allowed to vote, speak, assemble, petition the .gov or exercise your religion.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »
Just like there are training requirements prior to being allowed to vote, speak, assemble, petition the .gov or exercise your religion.

Win.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »
I've got a novel idea.
Lets punish people for misdeeds they've actually done rather than pre-emptively restrain everyone because of what someone else might do.
If someone does something criminal and/or stupid and causes harm to another, punish them accordingly. Make it real, make it hurt and make it public.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
I've got a novel idea.
Lets punish people for misdeeds they've actually done rather than pre-emptively restrain everyone because of what someone else might do.
If someone does something criminal and/or stupid and causes harm to another, punish them accordingly. Make it real, make it hurt and make it public.

You just want to put young black men in prison  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
Didn't Adam Lanza take a state-mandated course from the NRA?

No.

He apparently took some NRA course, because the police listed an "NRA Certificate" among the things found when they executed a search warrant at the mother's home, but the kid was 20 years old and couldn't get a permit until he reached 21, so there was no mandate for him to take anything. And, unless there's been some additional info released that I missed, we don't know what NRA course it was that he took.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 10:01:38 PM »
I loved the sound of that 235, and Dad showed me how to adjust the valve lash while the engine was running.  Pretty neat!

Any bets on some kind of Eddie Eagle stuff?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 10:07:02 PM »
No.

He apparently took some NRA course, because the police listed an "NRA Certificate" among the things found when they executed a search warrant at the mother's home, but the kid was 20 years old and couldn't get a permit until he reached 21, so there was no mandate for him to take anything. And, unless there's been some additional info released that I missed, we don't know what NRA course it was that he took.

They did not identify whose certificate it was.  Since the firearms found obviously belonged to the mother, among other things, we can't assume it was the perp's certificate.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »
No.

In Michigan in the 1980's when I first got a hunting license, the state mandated some sort of gun safety course as a prerequisite to getting a hunting license under a certain age (16?, 15?), that conveniently was offered by the NRA. It was a good class. Grumpy old Walt Kowalski types just like my driver's ed instructors except with guns instead of cars.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
In Michigan in the 1980's when I first got a hunting license, the state mandated some sort of gun safety course as a prerequisite to getting a hunting license under a certain age (16?, 15?), that conveniently was offered by the NRA. It was a good class. Grumpy old Walt Kowalski types just like my driver's ed instructors except with guns instead of cars.

No hunting on the instructor's lawn, eh?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »
I think a good way to handle the problem is to insist that you do not get a high school diploma without a gun safety course
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
Would be nice if the cops got some of that so-called gun training, also  :P

I hear they just spent $4.2 million on the training budget out in LA  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »
I think a good way to handle the problem is to insist that you do not get a high school diploma without a gun safety course

Well, yeah. In any reasonable country, every kid would learn how to shoot accurately and safely.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:50 AM »

My guns are safe.  They are all wearing condoms.  :angel:

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 11:40:27 PM »
My guns are safe.  They are all wearing condoms.  :angel:
Awesome!
I wear one when I'm online, I hear it helps prevent computer viruses
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."