Author Topic: Trump apparently wants to ban guns from people on the "terror watch list"  (Read 7735 times)

Pb

• friend

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Don't worry!

You see, Trump hasn't thought about this things before, so it's understandable that, as a non-politician, he's going to do things that may be wrong at first blush.

Wait, what's that? He's had over a year to actually start thinking about them? PHHHH. You can't expect someone running for the highest office in the land to do things like THINK, do you?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
He has had that opinion for awhile.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
This is going to pass; in the aftermath of Orlando, no force on earth is going to stop it.  If you think Trump is "showing his true colours," then just watch how many republicans vote for it.
"No fly=No buy."  Nice poli -- speak catch phrase there, no?  Let's forget that no court adjucation of GUILTY has been made....let's forget the no fly list is crazy in accurate --- Senator Ted Kennedy was once on it (a "no drive" list would have been  better....Mary Jo Kopechne would be alive today).
I hate this....but it is gonna happen.    Trump might as well play politics as it will only make him seem more reasonable to the standard low information voter.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

pawcatch

Not worried in the least bit. He's meeting with the NRA and after reading their tweets, they're not concerned and appear to be happy to be meeting with him.
Now if he chose to first meet with MDA, then I might be concerned.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
NRA has sold their members out before. For good reasons, in their mind. But still.  Trump's not trustworthy, but there's no point telling his true believers that. He'd throw gun owners under the bus in a heart beat.

No-fly is barely legal, and flying isn't a Constitutional right. Using the no-fly list to bar people from Constitutional rights is possible, any sort of stupidity out of Congress is possible. But if enforced and upheld by the courts, it's essentially the death knell of the Constitution. Or the start of it at any rate. It means, not just for the Second Amendment, that any Constitutional right can be arbitrarily denied by 'secret' government lists with no accountability, oversight or due process.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
NRA has sold their members out before. For good reasons, in their mind. But still.  Trump's not trustworthy, but there's no point telling his true believers that. He'd throw gun owners under the bus in a heart beat.

No-fly is barely legal, and flying isn't a Constitutional right. Using the no-fly list to bar people from Constitutional rights is possible, any sort of stupidity out of Congress is possible. But if enforced and upheld by the courts, it's essentially the death knell of the Constitution. Or the start of it at any rate. It means, not just for the Second Amendment, that any Constitutional right can be arbitrarily denied by 'secret' government lists with no accountability, oversight or due process.

All this. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

pawcatch

The NRA has been pretty solid since Columbine. IMO, they are the main reason Manchin- Toomey didn't pass. I'll wait to see what Trump is saying at the Fox Theater right now.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
This is going to pass; in the aftermath of Orlando, no force on earth is going to stop it.  If you think Trump is "showing his true colours," then just watch how many republicans vote for it.
"No fly=No buy."  Nice poli -- speak catch phrase there, no?  Let's forget that no court adjucation of GUILTY has been made....let's forget the no fly list is crazy in accurate --- Senator Ted Kennedy was once on it (a "no drive" list would have been  better....Mary Jo Kopechne would be alive today).
I hate this....but it is gonna happen.    Trump might as well play politics as it will only make him seem more reasonable to the standard low information voter.

Holy sh!t you Trump cultists are just as bad as the Obama version. He wasn't joking, he literally could murder someone on national teevee and you'd find a way to rationalize it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

And if you want a good example of how "fairly" any of it would be applied, look no further than Hillary Clinton, who has said, "No one under FBI investigation should be able to purchase a gun to kill people."

I would argue that the President of the United States is a job with the potential to kill exponentially more people than anyone with an AR-15. Yet being under FBI investigation doesn't force someone from dropping out as the Democratic presidential nominee.

Secret lists always benefit the "right" people (generally of whatever party, group, etc. is in power). Even not so secret lists are arbitrarily applied when there are no constitutional protections.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
If Trump actually does come out in support of the no-fly, no-buy, no-rights garbage, it will be the first of his mis-steps to actually hurt him.

OK, so it IS the first of his mis-steps that will actually hurt him. I think he may have just lost my vote.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Wow I thought this would take longer.

Trump is a New York liberal.  We Told You So.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
This is my shocked face.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
In other news, roo_ster is now writing for Breitbart.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethAMandel/status/743064832275054592/photo/1

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

Honestly, there IS someone in the Bible I'd compare Trump to...

Of course, it's the same one I'd compare Hillary to, as well.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Here we go.
Secret lists.
Government defines what a "terrorist" is.
No due process
No way off the list.
Denial of constitutionally codified rights.

Indefensible.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

pawcatch

According to the FOX News headline, the NRA is proposing to delay purchasing to those on the no fly list.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
I've long contended we can't trust the NRA. http://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/743125763747119104/photo/1

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Honestly, there IS someone in the Bible I'd compare Trump to...

Of course, it's the same one I'd compare Hillary to, as well.

Ahaz? Manasseh?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

Are you illiterate or merely dishonest? 

(Maybe I should embrace the "power of and" in your case, given past performance.)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
No way off the list.

From what I heard about this on the radio, there is supposed to be an appeals process, as part of the proposal.

Supposed to be.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

From what I heard about this on the radio, there is supposed to be an appeals process, as part of the proposal.

Supposed to be.

For which, Congress will accidentally forget to provide funding.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
For reference, the statement from the NRA.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160615/nra-statement-on-terror-watchlists

Looks like they are supporting John Cornyn's bill.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Supposed to be.

There is.  I can't remember the who and how anymore, but a congressman got on the list due to name similarity and he went through hell to get off of it, and that's with congressional connections.  I can't imagine the time and expense an average Joe would have to go through, nor their chances of success.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."