Author Topic: How can this happen. When thugs are issued badges  (Read 17841 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
How can this happen. When thugs are issued badges
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »
I try, I really do try to not post incidents like this. One, it ticks me off to the nth degree. And two, the person (always a cop) never gets what he deserves. Thus time is one of those times that I break my own rule. If this had happened to me, *I would be hard pressed not to hunt the little thug primate officer that started it all and beat the living tar out if him. Jail be damned. This is just plain wrong. Criminal.  Chickenshit charges, secret judge signature on a arrest/search warrant. This is why more and more folks are not trusting police officers. And I dare any officer on APS to try and "defend" this LE idiots actions. Throw down your blue line. You have nothing to stand on. Pathetic primate with a badge.

http://carlosmiller.com/2010/04/16/maryland-motorcyclist-spends-26-hours-in-jail-on-wiretapping-charge-for-filming-cop-with-gun/

By Carlos Miller
After spending 26 hours in the Baltimore County Jail, Anthony Graber still doesn’t understand what he did wrong.

Sure, the 24-year-old man admits to speeding on his motorcycle, but does that merit having a plainclothes cop pull a gun on him?

Does that merit six state troopers raiding his parents’ home and seizing four computers at the crack of dawn?

Does that merit getting charged with a felony and threatened with five years in prison?

Of course it doesn’t

This is nothing but an obscene case of police intimidation. A Constitutional violation against a man who has served six years in the Air National Guard and who has never been arrested before.

A knee-jerk reaction from the Maryland State Police after Graber posted the video of the cop pulling a gun on him on Youtube (video is below).

That cop’s name is Joseph David Uhler, in case you were wondering. He has no business wearing a badge.

So how come he’s not being punished?

Well, we already know that answer. He’s above the law. They are above the law. The Maryland State Police Department, that is.

Why else would a judge sign a search warrant, allowing them to raid Graber’s parents home at 6:45 a.m. on a weekday, detaining his entire family for 90 minutes, forbidding his mother from going to work and younger sister from going to school while they rummaged through the family’s personal belongings?

And that judge’s name?

That’s a secret.

“There is no signature from the judge on the paperwork,” Graber said in an exclusive Photography is Not a Crime interview Thursday night, just hours after he was released from jail.

“They told me they don’t want you to know who the judge is because of privacy

Is this America? Where cops are allowed to violate your Fourth Amendment rights – not to mention your First Amendment right to film them – on the approval of some secretive judge?

Well maybe not all judges agree.

“The judge who released me looked at the paperwork and said she didn’t see where I violated the wiretapping law.”

Ah yes, the wiretapping charge. That old standby that cops use when you happen to videotape them in public while they are on duty when they have absolutely no expectation of privacy.

Sure, the First Amendment supposedly allows us to photograph police in public. Numerous court rulings have determined that.

But now cops have turned to irrelevant wire-tapping charges to crack down against those who video them in public.

Those laws are designed to protect people whose voices are recorded in telephone calls. You know, when you actually have an expectation of privacy.

Fortunately, most judges end up throwing these charges out of court when the cops don’t have an expectation of privacy.

The case against Graber began on March 5 when he was speeding on his 2008 Honda CBR 1000RR motorcycle on Interstate 95. He had a video camera strapped to his helmet and was filming the ride.

He sped past Uhler’s unmarked car, who claimed he was popping a wheelie while traveling 100 mph.

And Uhler was only “visually estimating” his speed. He did not have a radar gun, which usually means it wouldn’t stand up in court.

Graber also admits to speeding past a marked car. However, he never heard any sirens behind him and even at one point in the video where Graber looks back, the only car behind him is Uhler’s unmarked car with no lights.

That was when Graber was already exiting the interstate. When he came to a complete stop behind the other cars at the exit, Uhler cut him off and hopped out of his car with a gun drawn, never flashing a badge and not identifying himself as an officer until several seconds later.

Uhler never mentioned that he pulled out his gun in his report.

But he did mention that he spotted “a strange looking object on the operator’s helmet that was later realized to be a video camera.”

The camera Graber was wearing when he was pulled over
And he did mention that he cited Graber  a single citation for traveling 80 mph in a 65 mph zone.

So what’s the problem?

Well, Graber decided to post the video on Youtube, which made Uhler look like a thug.

In fact, if you look at the video, you’ll notice Uhler glance at the marked unit behind Graber and moved his gun behind him, as if trying to hide it from the other officer, before tucking it back into his pocket.

After all, an officer is only supposed to pull out his gun if he believes his life is in danger. Surely, that doesn’t happen with every traffic stop. Does it?

Ten days later, Uhler discovered that Graber posted the video online. Two videos. A longer one without audio and a shorter one with audio.

That prompted Uhler to issue an arrest warrant against Graber, citing that “Graber did not inform Tfc. Uhler that he was recording him by video or audio, thus violating criminal law 10-402(b).”

He also tacked on the charges of “reckless driving” and “negligent driving” to the arrest warrant.

And then six cops raided his parent’s home where Graber is living early one morning.

“They spent 90 minutes there,” he said.

“My mom had to go to work and they wouldn’t let her. My sister had to go to school and they wouldn’t let her.

“I just had gall bladder surgery and had bandages on my stomach.”

In fact, after a phone call to the commissioner, that was the only reason they didn’t arrest him on the spot. They told him he had to turn himself in when he got better, which he did.

“I just wanted to do the right thing,” he said.

When he showed up to the jail, they set his bond at $15,000, which is a little extravagant considering there is a maximum $10,000 fine for a wiretapping conviction.

He spent 26 hours in jail before he was released upon his own recognizance. The judge who released him took one look at the report and said that it didn’t appear he violated the wiretapping law.

“She said, ‘I have no idea why you’re charged with this’,” he said.

In fact, Maryland requires there to be an expectation of privacy in order to make that charge valid, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

State courts interpreted laws to protect communications only when parties have a reasonable expectation of privacy

The incident has left Graber with a serious distrust of police.

“I’m now afraid of the police. Afraid of what they can do to me. I’ve never been arrested in my life before this,” he said.

He is now making arrangements to sell his motorcycle because he doesn’t feel comfortable riding it anymore.

And he is waiting for his preliminary trial to see if prosecutors will decide to pursue this case.

And as for Uhler, well he’s still roaming free to terrorize the citizens. Just as he did in Graber’s video below. And below that is the arrest warrant, which did not come out great but I am working on producing a better quality version with his Graber’s personal info redacted.

*I normally do not let things like this bother me to much. But incidents such as these are becoming all to common. I wound not track down a police officer personally for a come to jesus meeting. That's what the courts are for. Which in the court, I would come after him professionally, personally, with the intent that afterwards he and his family is homeless and his badge hanging, framed, on my wall.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:55:22 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: How can this happen. When thugs are issued badges
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »
Carefull there BMoZ, you keep reading that site and its ilk, you'll end up as an angry gun-fondling anti-government nut job. ;)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:42:50 PM »
I am careful, and well, according to Mrs. BMZ, I was a nutjob before I started in the gun culture. 

FWIW.  I am not advocating that folks start challenging or fighting the popo on the side of the road, nor going after said popo on a personal level.  Was just venting on how if this had happened to me, how hard it would be NOT to find the badge wearing thug and give him a thumping.  Not that I would, but got to be honest, it would have crossed my mind.  This incident should have some thugs wearing badges in jail or fired.  This is not a case of wiretapping, not a case of speeding.  Its a case of Pissed Off POPO who realized that the nation now knows what kind of idiotic thug he is, and he probably thinks his job is in jeopardy.  Which I hope it is. 

Down where I live.  It would not behove the popo to make a stop, unmarked car, plain clothes.  Hence they might get mistaken for carjackers and, well, you know.. [popcorn]
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:55:56 PM »
Do you have a non-frothing account? Sounds like a pretty bad deal, but when I get smacked in the face with Conclusion before I see Evidence it makes me a mite distrustful.

That being said, I hate Maryland more than any state, including California which I have sworn to never enter again except under duress. Mainly because my best friend is tied there and I never get to see her as a result, but it's still a crap state.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »
I am seeking other accounts, and will post any that I find.  The video, if you do go to the link, speaks for itself.

Abraham Lincoln

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »
have you seen both videos yet? the short one with the sound clear as day as well as the long one with the sound edited out and the oh so curious excuse that its audio is gone "because i was humming a song"  see if you can figure out why i think junior dropped the audio on the vid  then released a short edit with the miracle audio track. also pay attention to his turning his head to look behind him about 8 seconds before he comes to a stop.
  your outrage is misplaced   can link you to a thread where its gone over at length on one of the thr's.  and yea md is a two party consent state   ask linda tripp.  
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:22:13 AM »
Sorry, it still stinks.  Warrant presented without a judges signature.  Thats not the way its done, or supposed to be done.  My outrage is fine.  This cop screwed the pooch.  And I dont go to THR, I refuse to until the legal situation is cleared up.

If you can post some evidence that this guy was in the wrong, video from the unmarked police car, "visually estimating the speed" (croc of crap).  Dont they teach pacing anymore.  Im sure there is another side to this story.  But the actions of the officers are uncalled for.  That much was said by the judge who set him free wondering why he was being charged in the first place.

Abraham Lincoln

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:26:44 AM »
If they actually served an unsigned warrant, that's a pretty significant no-no last I checked.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:31:09 AM »
It kind of smells, when he only got a ticket.  And thug popo found out he was videotaped being a thug, the pile on the charges.  If its a duck.  You do see him hide his gun, as the marked cruiser pulled up.  The suspect was not aware of the marked cruiser.  The thug cop is lucky this was Maryland, down south, he might have gotten his ticket punched by a CCW carrier.  Car jackings start out that way.

Abraham Lincoln

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:33:03 AM »
If you can post some evidence that this guy was in the wrong,

have you seen both the videos yet?  he posted them both himself on you tube. funny how theres no audio on the long one and it shows him turning all the way around before he came to a stop  there was a marked car in the chase as well
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:33:16 AM »
Is there any case law for a cop being shot while trying to do a stop from an unmarked car in plainclothes?

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 12:34:02 AM »
what was it about the gun that scared/offended you?

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 12:45:53 AM »
The gun didn't scare or offend me. A man cutting another driver off and exiting his vehicle with a gun drawn, well that is where things tend to go south. No uniform. No badge showing. And he can yell/claim "Police Officer" all day long. At the time, as you cops like to say, the totality of the circumstances from the motorists point of view, IMO was a WTF possible car jacking. Personally, if I were minding
my own business and a car cut me off, no markings to ID it as a police vehicle, i'd probably
had cleared leather before the man exited the vehicle or ran him down with my vehicle. That was a very bad decision that this thug cop made.

What is it about folks calling out cops for screwmg up that scares or offends you?  It seems with
Maryland LE as of late, has had to over use their blue line. Remember the protester that some Maryland LE humped for no reason, claimed he was kicked by a horse, but no such thing was
caught on video. Horses were not even close. Face it. Just because you are a citizen with a badge doesn't give you a magic mushroom to get out of trouble when you muck up.

Abraham Lincoln

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 12:56:56 AM »
Watch the video again. The biker looked back while on the offramp. Only vehicle there was thugs unmarked car, about 10'car lenghts back. No other vehicle is there. The the car cuts him off. Bad move
by an idiot thug cop.

Even if audio was there. And a siren was heard by the marked vehicle, how does the driver know it's after him. He hasn't seen a marked car. Only an idiot with a gun that just cut him off.

Abraham Lincoln

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
you see the long video yet?  wonder why he released a short edited version with audio?

No badge showing look at the belt closely

Personally, if I were minding
my own business and

if your own business is driving triple digits and popping wheelies in traffic you might figure getting popped as a cost of doing business.

as someone with some experience on stupid driving tricks, i spent 17 plus years walking as a result, that was a pretty tame stop.
cops expect you to run on certain types of bikes , with cause.  they can't catch ya if they do.  they go to great lengths to keep you from bolting when they do a stop like that.  not uncommon to do what they did, ie use an unmarked to get in position to cut you off. its not uncommon to get knocked down if you stop after a real chase.  believe it or not some guys stop then when the cop gets off bolt again.  shocking i know. cop didn't even seem mad compared to some  the kid was a pretty decent rider and on a reckless scale wasn't really all that bad except for the wheelies and speed.

oh and by the way i am not have never been and even in norfolk could never be a cop  i am kinda into fairplay though and have very lil respect for the ladies who wanna break bad then cry to momma when they get caught  their fanbois get tarred with the same brush

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
BMZ, I'm on your side on this one.

If piglets can record whatever they want in public areas, then so can I.  If they can have dashcams, then I can have audio/video on my person or vehicle.

I do know that 6:45AM no-knocks would find me putting lead down my hallway since I live a clean an honorable life and have no reason to suspect a need to surrender an inch of my home to any authority figure.  Enter uninvited at your fatal peril.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Russell_House
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 01:08:40 AM »
Watch the video again. The biker looked back while on the offramp. Only vehicle there was thugs unmarked car, about 10'car lenghts back. No other vehicle is there. The the car cuts him off. Bad move
by an idiot thug cop.

Even if audio was there. And a siren was heard by the marked vehicle, how does the driver know it's after him. He hasn't seen a marked car. Only an idiot with a gun that just cut him off.

sigh.... when he turns his head the cam does not always give as much vision as your eyes

and junior was stopped when the cop "cut him off"  but nice try

and if you are driving like he was and you hear a siren and see a car coming up fast its for you, trust me i know.  i hated that moment. and once i quit treating crowded roads as my adolescent playground it stopped being an issue. you see i was also once so self centered that i considered it my "RIGHT"  to endanger other folks with my stupidity. i outgrew it.  and i was never such a pansy that i cried when i got caught. back then we bragged about our high scores.  my finale om I 95 nhad cops from 3 jurisdiction and 5 agencies and i wasn't fleeing/running from anyone. i pulled over first set of lights i saw.

truly i'd cut the hero some slack if he hadn't been such a pantywaist with the video edit. if you are gonna be deceitful you should at least be good at it.  its disrespectful to your patsy's to try such a lame stunt.  it means he thinks everyone else is stupid

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:11:51 AM »
BMZ, I'm on your side on this one.

If piglets can record whatever they want in public areas, then so can I.  If they can have dashcams, then I can have audio/video on my person or vehicle.

I do know that 6:45AM no-knocks would find me putting lead down my hallway since I live a clean an honorable life and have no reason to suspect a need to surrender an inch of my home to any authority figure.  Enter uninvited at your fatal peril.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Russell_House

md is a two party consent state  were all these kids asleep or in 3rd grade when linda tripp taped monica?

as to the rest?
WOLVERINES!!!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:32 AM »
Is there any case law for a cop being shot while trying to do a stop from an unmarked car in plainclothes?

Don't know of a traffic stop off the top of my head, but look around for the story of Fort Worth officer Lisa Ramsey; she chased a suspect into a convenience store in plainclothes with her gun drawn and raised, and the clerk shot her, thinking she was a robber.  The clerk was either not charged or no-billed.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 01:15:18 AM »
No badge showing look at the belt closely

nope. Don't see it on the video. Even if there was a badge there. One can buy a badge online. Hell. I have a badge collection, old western, and the badges I wore in the Army and out
in the civi world. Plain clothes, vehicle not marked. I don't care if a badge is on his belt. I'm not looking at his belt. I'm wondering if this idiot who cut me off is about to carjacking or rob me, kidnap me or mine.

Geez. If the unmarked unit was on it's way. Wait for it. Let it do the stop
and coordinate with it. A few idiot cops have been shot by uniformed officers because they were in plain cloths.

I wish I lived in the world you do where cops do no wrong and do their jobs right. But reality sets in with incidents like this and the beating after the basketball game.

Abraham Lincoln

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 01:16:42 AM »
md is a two party consent state  were all these kids asleep or in 3rd grade when linda tripp taped monica?

as to the rest?
WOLVERINES!!!

Where's my consent form for the dashcams on the police cruisers, then?

State entities for whom two party consent is not required, do not object to their own surveillance devices.  What harm are additional ones for additional audio/video vantages by the second party?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
It's not my responsibility to make sure someone is a cop. All I have to convince a jury is that I was in fear of my life. Like the above post about the store shoot. It's the officers job to ID himself as a
cop. That's why they make marked police cars and have police uniforms. They serve a purpose. As in to identify that you are a cop. Jumping out of a car, plain clothes is not going to
cut it. In my state alone, folks with badges and blue lights have pulled people over, cut them off. Did they suspects go to jail?  No. They got raped.

But hey. He's a cop. Hell, he will probably get promoted m

Abraham Lincoln

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »
nope. Don't see it on the video. Even if there was a badge there. One can buy a badge online. Hell. I have a badge collection, old western, and the badges I wore in the Army and out
in the civi world. Plain clothes, vehicle not marked. I don't care if a badge is on his belt. I'm not looking at his belt. I'm wondering if this idiot who cut me off is about to carjacking or rob me, kidnap me or mine.

Geez. If the unmarked unit was on it's way. Wait for it. Let it do the stop
and coordinate with it. A few idiot cops have been shot by uniformed officers because they were in plain cloths.

I wish I lived in the world you do where cops do no wrong and do their jobs right. But reality sets in with incidents like this and the beating after the basketball game.

they use the unmarked in cases like that because the bad boys bolt and folks get hurt.  you see those bad bad cops don't know lil johnny is really a good boy and its just youthful hi jinks.  they tend to see it as an alleged adult acting in a reckless way and endangering other folks who didn't volunteer to be a part of lil jonnys playtime on the public roads. if they knew what a nice boy jonny was they would treat him much better but they didn't get the email his mommy sent outs saying "my moron son is gonna play on the roads today please be nice to him hes a good boy really"

and mommy and jonny both know he would never do this  http://thecabin.net/news/local/2010-04-09/chase-ends-when-motorcycle-crashes-ambulance
  heck jonnys was lucky he was on the highway in the area he was in  the pg county police would stop you using the front bumper against your back wheel. that will leave a mark   in your shorts if no where else . got me on a dirt bike once scared both me and the cop real bad. i finished up holding on to his front push bar with my feet under the front end. he thought he'd killed me. his eyes were like saucers when he came running around the front of the cruiser. he was so freaked out he didn't impound the bike or call my folks. i guess today i'd sue over that.  but heck back then we figured he hit the siren we could stop.  if we scooted the game was on and  getting hurt was part of it.if i'd whined i'd have had to move or wear a dress. and while i have the legs for it its not my style

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 01:30:24 AM »
Where's my consent form for the dashcams on the police cruisers, then?

State entities for whom two party consent is not required, do not object to their own surveillance devices.  What harm are additional ones for additional audio/video vantages by the second party?

thats something the folks in md need to take up with the legislature    don't hold your breath

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 01:32:37 AM »
Don't know of a traffic stop off the top of my head, but look around for the story of Fort Worth officer Lisa Ramsey; she chased a suspect into a convenience store in plainclothes with her gun drawn and raised, and the clerk shot her, thinking she was a robber.  The clerk was either not charged or no-billed.

My google-fu fails me, can't find an account of the shooting just her "inspirational" story. No word on what happened to the clerk. Apparently she was wearing a mask when she ran into the store.

There's a local LEO org that has her story, I found this line insulting.

Officer Ramsey was shot and disabled by a gunman during a robbery in 2003
while on-duty working in the Narcotic Unit.

BMZ: ignore CSD, he loves trolling and most mods don't read his posts because of how poorly written they are. Sometimes you just gotta ignore him.