Author Topic: Maine Doctor ditches health insurance entirely  (Read 2114 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Maine Doctor ditches health insurance entirely
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/27/news/portland/south-portland-doctor-stops-accepting-insurance-posts-prices-online/

No Medicare, BCBS, Cigna, whatever.  Cash at time of service.

You are free to follow up with your health insurance for your own reimbursement, but the doctor wants nothing to do with it anymore.

Frankly, I wish this guy was near me.

I've flat-out paid for medical care in the past rather than screwing with insurance.  Usually whenever I go to an urgent care center, which I've done twice in the last 3 years.  Once for illness, and once for injury.  Both times, I get out around $150 or so including paying for X-rays if needed or antibiotics from them.

But... when you get rid of the billing nags, and the complicated IT systems to interface your practice management software with e-Scripts/SureScripts for prescription delivery to pharmacies, and all the Meaningful Use compliance bullscat... your costs go down considerably.  And your sense of peace and ownership over your practice goes up.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Maine Doctor ditches health insurance entirely
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
I hope he knows a good proctologist willing to prep him for his near future interaction with IRS. =(

We can't have people opt out of our universal system and not pay a price...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
He's not the only one.

I'm hoping this becomes an unstoppable trend. And it well might when docs realize they can make the same or more money while charging half or more as much. And no bureaucratic/paperwork headaches!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:59:55 PM »
This is actually old news.  Although the numbers are still small, there have been physicians opting out of the healthcare insurance system for a while now.  You have to have sufficient numbers of patients who can front the cash at the time of service to make it work, though. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
This is actually old news.  Although the numbers are still small, there have been physicians opting out of the healthcare insurance system for a while now.  You have to have sufficient numbers of patients who can front the cash at the time of service to make it work, though. 

And for that it has to be affordable.  And there we are again.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »
http://simplecare.com/index2.asp

These guys enjoyed a brief flurry of popularity in the Seattle area in the late 90's and early 2000's.  I don't think they are still in business and their website has not been updated in years.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »
Not unusual and seems to be a lot of doctors doing this, or allowing membership of sorts where you pay a fee for the year and it covers the basics (physical, sniffles, etc.).

Two hospitals in Atlanta also announced recently that they were going to be joining up to create their own insurance and roll it out to their employees and if that goes well start to open it up to the public.

Basically touting more control, easier to control costs since they have their own incentive by not being a third party, and better treatment coordination since everything would be basically in house.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »

Two hospitals in Atlanta also announced recently that they were going to be joining up to create their own insurance and roll it out to their employees and if that goes well start to open it up to the public.

Basically touting more control, easier to control costs since they have their own incentive by not being a third party, and better treatment coordination since everything would be basically in house.

The large multi-state healthcare system where I used to work did this.  They had a health insurance plan with approximately 500,000 people in it.  55,000 of those people were the employees of the system.  A bunch of large healthcare systems and facilities also own and operate a health insurance plan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
See, Obamacare is working.  =) =| ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »
That'll be real spiffy.  Cash up front, and that had better be in Benjamins or bigger.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
My wife does not take insurance (Naturopathic Doctor).  I don't think this is that uncommon, at least in the alternative medicine circles.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »
Once you claim to be self pay an amazing new world of medical care options and pricing opens up. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:37 PM »
My wife does not take insurance (Naturopathic Doctor).  I don't think this is that uncommon, at least in the alternative medicine circles.

It can be uncommon in the Pacific NW, where your wife is practicing.  By legislative fiat, a lot of people here have medical insurance that covers naturopathic practice and some other types of alternative medicine.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »
Yep, and my wife would probably have a larger patient base if she did accept it.  At least in my mind.  She does take patients with insurance that cover her, she just makes the patient pay cash and deal with the insurance company themselves.  And yes, paying cash is interesting. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »
The large multi-state healthcare system where I used to work did this.  They had a health insurance plan with approximately 500,000 people in it.  55,000 of those people were the employees of the system.  A bunch of large healthcare systems and facilities also own and operate a health insurance plan.

Group Health?
Formerly sumpnz

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »
Once you claim to be self pay an amazing new world of medical care options and pricing opens up. 

I have heard stories of Dr.s charging more because you are self pay, but I don't that practice will last long.  Their are clinics opening up all over the place.  Walmart has clinics in it, so does Walgreens.  If you need something minor, cold, pink eye, ect. they are wonderful.  My youngest got a bladder infection, $60 and were were done.  They sent the prescription to the Walmart pharmacy and that trouble was done.  We have not had insurance for a year and a half now.  You have to do what you have to do.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com