Author Topic: POTUS Vs. SCOTUS  (Read 4961 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
POTUS Vs. SCOTUS
« on: April 04, 2012, 01:38:05 AM »
Is Obama really so arrogant as to demand a certain outcome from a Supreme Court case and are there enough spineless wimps on the to let it happen?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/04/03/obama_puts_out_figurative_bounty_on_supreme_court

I know FDR threatened to pack the court if he didn't get his way but how often has a sitting president criticized the Supreme Court as much as Obama?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: POTUS Vs. SCOTUS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:34:37 AM »
It's only judicial activism if you don't like it.

I'm starting to wonder if he stays up late some nights thinking of ways to make himself look like a bigger jackass.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:04:17 AM »
I saw a film clip of Obama's rose garden comments, and to me he looked worried; I'm wondering if he didn't get a "heads-up" from one of his tame justices (Kagan most likely, but maybe Sotomayor) that he wasn't going to get the decision he wanted. It seemed that he was trying - clumsily - to influence the court.

We can hope . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:55:47 AM »
Does Chief Justice Roberts have the authority to recuse Kagan & Sotemayor? That would seem the proper response.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/opinion/dowd-men-in-black.html

Okay. The left.... appears to think their cause is already lost.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »
Does Chief Justice Roberts have the authority to recuse Kagan & Sotemayor? That would seem the proper response.....

No, I don't believe so.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/us/chief-justice-backs-peers-decision-to-hear-health-law-case.html

“The Supreme Court does not sit in judgment of one of its own members’ decision whether to recuse in the course of deciding a case,” he wrote.  “Indeed, if the Supreme Court reviewed those decisions, it would create an undesirable situation in which the court could affect the outcome of a case by selecting who among its members may participate.”
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »

Linking to Rush is akin to linking to WND or Weekly World News. He may be right, he may be wrong, but the guy is pompous and opinionated. Factually correct is a far second to ideology.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/02/us-obama-healthcare-idUSBRE8310WP20120402

"Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress"

Uhm,I thought that was their job. Their primary job, actually.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
Agreed - Rush is a gasbag of the first order.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Just wondering...are Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum also "gasbags?"
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
Linking to Rush is akin to linking to WND or Weekly World News. He may be right, he may be wrong, but the guy is pompous and opinionated. Factually correct is a far second to ideology.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/02/us-obama-healthcare-idUSBRE8310WP20120402

"Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress"

Uhm,I thought that was their job. Their primary job, actually.

OK, he may be an opinionated gasbag ....but I bet he makes more $$$$$ than both you guys put together. ;)
BTW Rush is right  99.7% of the time.   [popcorn]

And he's right about this TOO! =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
Rick Santorum is...... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/opinion/dowd-men-in-black.html

Okay. The left.... appears to think their cause is already lost.

Wow.  That's just pure vitriol.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »
Wow.  That's just pure vitriol.  

Or to put it another way, it's Maureen Dowd.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »
OK, he may be an opinionated gasbag ....but I bet he makes more $$$$$ than both you guys put together. ;)
BTW Rush is right 99.7% of the time.   [popcorn]

Income != superior person. Nicole Elizabeth "Snooki" Polizzi probably makes more money than likely anyone on this board. If she made more money than Rush, would that mean her opinions should be given more weight than someone you apparently seem to respect?

He is course, rude and deliberately insulting. His right, of course. Doesn't mean I have to see him as anything other than what he is. And no, he is not correct 99.7% when it comes to facts rather than opinions. Always beware of unverified information that agrees a little too much with your own preconceptions and bias. It's easy to have selection bias, if it supports the ends you want.

It would be more accurate to say, for instance, "I weigh his opinion as being more influential than you two because he has more money and a wider audience. I also agree with near all of his subjective statements, which makes them correct from my perspective. I concur with his opinion on this topic." You could also tack on "In addition, I want to believe that he is near totally accurate in objective statements he makes." if you want to be accurate.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »

Do you mind citing some specific examples of where you disagree with Limbaugh on issues?  I don't mean his use of certain words in the recent Fluke matter, I mean political perspectives.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
Do you mind citing some specific examples of where you disagree with Limbaugh on issues?  I don't mean his use of certain words in the recent Fluke matter, I mean political perspectives.

One does not have to disagree with his general political stances to look down upon the man personally.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »

BTW Rush is right  99.7% of the time.   [popcorn]

So we're equating someone's wealth with their quality now?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »

Given their delegate grabbing capability so far, it seems that the American public thinks so.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 01:52:24 PM »
So much for this one.  Since we can't resist personal attacks, I'm closing it.

Chris