Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 140488 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2225 on: April 20, 2023, 09:43:35 AM »
The red and orange flames coming from the rocket was indicative of more engines failing as time went by.  As failures go, it was very impressive.  It was quite amazing just how long the rocket structure held together while it was corkscrewing.  That was one strong rocket.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2226 on: April 20, 2023, 09:48:23 AM »
The SpaceX feed was mentioning as it went up that everything after they cleared the tower was a bonus for them.  Looks like they had control even with engines out until they started the flip for stage separation.  It over rotated and they couldn't get it to stop flipping after that, so they couldn't get Starship off the booster.

They gave it a couple flips then RUD.

Super cool though. Largest rocket ever to lift off, and they said at the beginning it had 10,000,000 lbs of propellant on board.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2227 on: April 20, 2023, 09:49:30 AM »
The red and orange flames coming from the rocket was indicative of more engines failing as time went by.
Yeah, it looked like it was running engine rich exhaust from the beginning.

Amazing launch regardless.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2228 on: April 20, 2023, 09:50:18 AM »
  It was quite amazing just how long the rocket structure held together while it was corkscrewing.  That was one strong rocket.

Was thinking the same thing. Says volumes how strong they built that thing.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2229 on: April 20, 2023, 09:55:47 AM »
Eventually, SpaceX will work the bugs out and Starship and its boosters will be as reliable as the Falcon 9.  That will be ultimately very cool.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2230 on: April 20, 2023, 09:56:24 AM »
This is the end of SpaceX YT click bait videos in 10,9,8,7.............
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2231 on: April 20, 2023, 09:57:42 AM »
Eventually, SpaceX will work the bugs out and Starship and its boosters will be as reliable as the Falcon 9.  That will be ultimately very cool.

Elon had already said this was an obsolete vehicle with all the changes they've already made.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2232 on: April 20, 2023, 10:00:57 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2233 on: April 20, 2023, 10:01:45 AM »
Elon had already said this was an obsolete vehicle with all the changes they've already made.

IIRC, he estimated a 50/50 chance this would be a successful flight with Starship reaching splashdown.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2234 on: April 20, 2023, 10:17:39 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2235 on: April 20, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »

Wonder if there was an issue with the clamps between SS and the  booster not releasing?
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2236 on: April 20, 2023, 10:35:30 AM »
Wonder if there was an issue with the clamps between SS and the  booster not releasing?

The way the whole thing was corkscrewing, maybe it jammed the release mechanism.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2237 on: April 20, 2023, 10:40:23 AM »
The way the whole thing was corkscrewing, maybe it jammed the release mechanism.

I sort of kind of get the impression from a SX tweet (which I can't find now) that they did attempted the flip to start release and maybe that started the corkscrewing. I could have misread the tweet in the excitement of the moment. Corkscrewing could have started before. Will have to go back and read/hear more but it's time for food.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2238 on: April 20, 2023, 10:47:45 AM »
Reports of stuff kicked up by the engines coming down over Port Isabel
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2239 on: April 20, 2023, 11:00:48 AM »
NSF just said it appeared to them one of the HPUs (Hydraulic Power Units) exploded at T+30.
The HPU control the gimbling of the engines.
Some speculation they may also power he release hooks.

IIRC Elon already ditched HPUs in B9 for electric motor gimbling.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2240 on: April 20, 2023, 11:13:14 AM »
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
ยท
1h
Congrats @SpaceX
 team on an exciting test launch of Starship!

Learned a lot for next test launch in a few months.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2241 on: April 20, 2023, 12:05:36 PM »
Dents in some of the outer covers of the tank farm tanks
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2242 on: April 20, 2023, 12:09:27 PM »
This don't look good
It WAS solid concrete under and around the OLM. Now blasted dirt and a crater.

https://twitter.com/NJ_Ebong/status/1649081521079308288

- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2243 on: April 20, 2023, 12:38:53 PM »
^^^I wonder if they had a flame/blast diversion trench underneath the launchpad.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2244 on: April 20, 2023, 12:41:13 PM »
^^^I wonder if they had a flame/blast diversion trench underneath the launchpad.

Nope, just pretty much a flat concrete surface.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2245 on: April 20, 2023, 12:44:41 PM »
Before

After

- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2246 on: April 20, 2023, 12:44:51 PM »
Yep, not even a deluge system.  They have one that they haven't installed yet, and I'm sure it will be integrated into repairs.  But Musk was really curious if the rocket could work without one at all.  Fixatedly curious on the issue.  Probably because taking off from Mars or the Moon will require launch from an unprepared surface.  While those are Starship-only, evidently they prioritized the test data for SuperHeavy highly enough to risk this type of damage to the launch mount.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2247 on: April 20, 2023, 12:49:10 PM »
The booster dug it's own flame trench
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2248 on: April 20, 2023, 12:51:19 PM »
Note the date

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2249 on: April 20, 2023, 12:53:25 PM »
NSF was saying their parked camera van got hit.
Someone caught it on camera

https://twitter.com/SemrauDylan/status/1649050806577164293
- Calvin and Hobbes