Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 140495 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2750 on: November 11, 2023, 01:41:18 PM »
The FTS pyros were loaded yesterday.  As far as I'm aware this is the final preparation before an actual launch and is not to be done during any other time.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2751 on: November 11, 2023, 02:13:45 PM »
But not 100% certain the pins have been pulled
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #2752 on: November 11, 2023, 03:27:44 PM »
But not 100% certain the pins have been pulled

Of course not, why would they pull the flight pins more than a couple hours before launch?  This is them loading the explosive ordnance used to blow up the rocket if it goes wrong.  Ie. they primed a really big bomb, which they don't do for pad tests because nobody wants an intentionally primed to explode bomb on their hands for anything other than actual flight.

As an aside, I got to handle one of those pins at ULA.  It's a really cool spring loaded key that takes several deliberate actions and direction changes to remove. Definitely not something you want to fall out on accident.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2753 on: November 11, 2023, 03:29:24 PM »
Of course not, why would they pull the flight pins more than a couple hours before launch? 

Because they can't reach the FTS on Starship without destacking since the bucket lifts can't reach that high and there's no access arm to that area. The booster FTS they can reach with the bucket lifts, SS not so much.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #2754 on: November 11, 2023, 03:42:51 PM »
Because they can't reach the FTS on Starship without destacking since the bucket lifts can't reach that high and there's no access arm to that area. The booster FTS they can reach with the bucket lifts, SS not so much.

I'm going to need a hard cite on that because it is not in any way industry practice to design a rocket that requires you to pull the arming pins before you can finish assembling it for launch.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2755 on: November 11, 2023, 03:57:33 PM »
I'm going to need a hard cite on that because it is not in any way industry practice to design a rocket that requires you to pull the arming pins before you can finish assembling it for launch.

It has been mentioned several times in NSF feeds that SS's FTS is out of reach of the lifts while stacked though I'm open to I misheard.
The lifts do appear to be pretty much at max reaching the HSR on top of the booster.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 04:31:38 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2756 on: November 11, 2023, 04:03:42 PM »

Kathy Lueders (starship general manager) yesterday said they destacked to do final prep work including FTS installation.

Edit: direct link to the clip where she mentioned this: https://nitter.net/SpacePadreIsle/status/1702357443890548773#m
https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceXLounge/comments/16ii4xn/ship_25_being_destacked_to_install_fts_launch/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2757 on: November 11, 2023, 04:09:56 PM »
Good view of FTS explosives being installed and note he says they must be added before stacking.
Video will start at 8:01

https://youtu.be/v4cQDa8oilQ?t=481
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2758 on: November 11, 2023, 04:34:02 PM »
An access arm on the tower would have been nice.
They do use the QD arm to access the QD connections but the FTS is some ways above it.
Hoping they don't have to use it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2759 on: November 11, 2023, 07:56:03 PM »
Destacked while I was out for dinner
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #2760 on: November 12, 2023, 05:27:04 AM »
Good view of FTS explosives being installed and note he says they must be added before stacking.
Video will start at 8:01

https://youtu.be/v4cQDa8oilQ?t=481

We seem to be focusing on different things.  There are two steps.

One: you load the primer caps and boosters (the initiating explosives).  The system is now primed.

Two: you pull the flight pins and insert arming plugs completing the firing circuits.  The system is now armed.

Step one is done as a final assembly of a ship for an actual launch.
Step two is done exterior to a fully assembled ship and happens only hours before launch.

Step one would be omitted in any case other than launch; this has been my primary point of news.
Step two is always done very last and does not require anything other than a person on the outside of the rocket to pull pins and insert arming plugs into the empty sockets.  This is very much by intention.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #2761 on: November 12, 2023, 05:27:27 AM »
Destacked while I was out for dinner

Well boo. I wonder if they found another bug or if the whole thing was a test rehearsal for the FTS procedures themselves?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2762 on: November 12, 2023, 07:42:11 AM »
Point I'm trying to make is they can't reach the FTS on SS once stacked, the lifts don't go that high and there's no access arm to it. The FTS on the booster they can reach though.

Now this pure speculation on my part but could there be a remote mechanical pin pulling mechanism? Maybe, and again this is pure speculation, something to pull on down at the QD connections? They do have access there via the QD arm itself.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:11:35 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2763 on: November 13, 2023, 09:38:00 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2764 on: November 13, 2023, 12:03:05 PM »
Still no word from the FAA and/or FWS
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2765 on: November 13, 2023, 03:24:42 PM »
They're discussing the pins in a currently live NSF chat and what they're saying matches what I've heard before, that the pins are pulled then SS is stacked.
Someone asked in chat if a drone could pull the pins while SS is stacked. the answer was no.

the live chat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cceYABo-elg
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2766 on: November 13, 2023, 06:11:57 PM »
Come on fish people!
Safe bet the Chinese don't have this problem.
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2767 on: November 13, 2023, 10:30:09 PM »
Come on fish people!
Safe bet the Chinese don't have this problem.
Thanks to overfishing, no they don’t.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2768 on: November 14, 2023, 07:42:39 AM »
Elon put this up last night

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Was just informed that approval to launch should happen in time for a Friday launch
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1724271004044644800
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2769 on: November 14, 2023, 08:44:49 AM »
Chris Bergin - NSF reposted
Alejandro Alcantarilla Romera (Alex)
@Alexphysics13
SpaceX's Starship Second Flight Test is now reflected on the FAA ATC Current Operations Plan Advisory.

The first opportunity, as expected, would be no earlier than November 17th with the window opening at 7AM CST (13:00 UTC)

https://twitter.com/Alexphysics13/status/1724224846429655198

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2770 on: November 14, 2023, 07:29:32 PM »
Bob Bob Bob Bob Where's our launch license Bob?

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2771 on: November 15, 2023, 09:01:12 AM »
I hadn't noticed they had removed the HSR. Appears they're reinstalling it now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2772 on: November 15, 2023, 11:58:31 AM »
Adrian Beil
@BCCarCounters
The US Fish and Wildlife Service has concluded its investigation into the Deluge System.

Conclusion: It is not expected to change the salinity of the existing mud flats or reduce or modify the piping plover or red knot habitat.

@NASASpaceflight

Link: https://faa.gov/media/72766

A limitation of the system will be the amount of use per year. The deluge system is only allowed to be used 30 times per year.

Adrian Beil
@BCCarCounters
Fish and Wildlife signed this document yesterday.

With this, every part needed for the FAA license is in place. The only missing stone is the signing of the FAA for the launch license modification, which is expected today.
https://twitter.com/BCCarCounters/status/1724821868471808301

Sign the %#$! thing and lets Light This Candle!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 12:25:43 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2773 on: November 15, 2023, 02:41:22 PM »
SpaceX says it's a go for Friday
Buuuut, still no official word from the FAA
Probably SX has been told but the FAA still hasn't posted it publicly yet.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2774 on: November 15, 2023, 02:44:32 PM »
NSF is live on the matter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_FzncBgq0

They even did calculations on the chance of Starship hitting a whale.  :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes