Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 140482 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2775 on: November 15, 2023, 03:23:45 PM »
What is the scope of this flight?  Are they going to orbit or just going high, flying around, and coming back down?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2776 on: November 15, 2023, 04:17:20 PM »
Launch license is confirmed.
SX is targeting Friday Nov 17. Launch window is, subject to change, 07:00-9:00 CST.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2777 on: November 15, 2023, 04:19:43 PM »
What is the scope of this flight?  Are they going to orbit or just going high, flying around, and coming back down?

Same as the last one.
Not go boom
Clear the tower
Not go boom
Stage separation
Not go boom
Booster is suppose to then perform a landing in the Gulf
Not go boom
SS is suppose to then go sub-orbitial and come down off Hawaii.
Expected to go splash
Baby steps
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 05:17:46 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2778 on: November 15, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »
Stacking
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2779 on: November 15, 2023, 04:46:07 PM »
Weather Forecast During Launch

The forecast calls for a temperature of 66°F, clear skies, 10% cloud cover and a wind speed of 1mph.
Mission
Integrated Flight Test 2

Type: Test Flight

Second test flight of the two-stage Starship launch vehicle. The booster is expected to separate 170 seconds into flight and return to land approximately 32 km off the shore in the Gulf of Mexico. The second stage will follow a suborbital trajectory and perform an unpowered splashdown approximately 100 km off the northwest coast of Kauai (Hawaii).
Trajectory

View the rocket launch trajectory, velocity, altitude, thrust and much more at FlightClub.io
https://www.spacelaunchschedule.com/launch/starship-integrated-flight-test-2/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2780 on: November 15, 2023, 04:57:37 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2781 on: November 15, 2023, 04:58:13 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2782 on: November 15, 2023, 05:48:21 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2783 on: November 16, 2023, 07:23:41 AM »
Good Morning

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2784 on: November 16, 2023, 07:28:49 AM »
NSF is live on the matter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_FzncBgq0

They even did calculations on the chance of Starship hitting a whale.  :facepalm:

Maritime and marine mammal impact analyses are actually a standard part of all spacelifts and missile tests.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2785 on: November 16, 2023, 07:31:06 AM »
Maritime and marine mammal impact analyses are actually a standard part of all spacelifts and missile tests.

I figured but what are the odds of SS hitting a whale?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2786 on: November 16, 2023, 10:26:41 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2787 on: November 16, 2023, 10:31:59 AM »
I figured but what are the odds of SS hitting a whale?

Low, because they also do range clearance flights beforehand and if mammal congregations (or dumbass boaters) are spotted in the restricted area in a high debris probability area, they'll delay the launch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2788 on: November 16, 2023, 10:47:01 AM »
I wonder what the odds of hitting a whale with a spaceship launch would be if that was their goal?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2789 on: November 16, 2023, 11:50:17 AM »
I wonder what the odds of hitting a whale with a spaceship launch would be if that was their goal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsfHVM5x_I
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2790 on: November 16, 2023, 11:56:05 AM »
People rush out and buy lottery tickets at 1/300,000,000 odds
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2791 on: November 16, 2023, 12:05:21 PM »

Didn't Gewehr98, a former member here, fly on an air force anti-submarine aircraft of some sort?  I bet those craft could deliberately hit a whale with an air deployed depth charge or bomb or torpedo.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2792 on: November 16, 2023, 02:04:13 PM »
NSF reported the HSR stand has been moved to the launch site saying this could a sign of a potential delay.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2793 on: November 16, 2023, 02:05:49 PM »
Chris Bergin - NSF
@NASASpaceflight
Ship Quick Disconnect (SQD) has retracted ahead of destack. LR11000 is going over to the launch site to follow up with removing the Hot Staging Ring.

http://nsf.live/starbase
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2794 on: November 16, 2023, 02:18:11 PM »
SS stand at the pad.
Crap
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2795 on: November 16, 2023, 02:19:18 PM »
Didn't Gewehr98, a former member here, fly on an air force anti-submarine aircraft of some sort?  I bet those craft could deliberately hit a whale with an air deployed depth charge or bomb or torpedo.

Gewehr flew on Air Force RC135s and other Air Force variants that did different snooping missions. BobR OTOH flew on US Navy P3 Orions performing maritime surveillance and patrol (lots of ASW during the cold war) for quite a few years. I imagine we could target a whale if we wanted but close targeting isn't really necessary when you have the capability to use nuclear depth charges. ;)

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2796 on: November 16, 2023, 02:24:50 PM »
Launch delayed to Nov 18 per Elon
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2797 on: November 16, 2023, 02:32:50 PM »
Chris Bergin - NSF
@NASASpaceflight
Slip to Saturday official now, as Elon has noted and cited the issue is with a grid fin actuator.

Meanwhile, can you spot the human for scale!
https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1725234153128354227
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2798 on: November 16, 2023, 05:04:31 PM »
Gewehr flew on Air Force RC135s and other Air Force variants that did different snooping missions. BobR OTOH flew on US Navy P3 Orions performing maritime surveillance and patrol (lots of ASW during the cold war) for quite a few years. I imagine we could target a whale if we wanted but close targeting isn't really necessary when you have the capability to use nuclear depth charges. ;)

bob

Sorry, got my forum members' histories mixed up! 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2799 on: November 16, 2023, 05:06:49 PM »
Issue with a grid fin actuator is what is causing the delay.
- Calvin and Hobbes