Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 140740 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2825 on: November 18, 2023, 08:08:44 AM »
Might have lost the booster during boost back.  An unscheduled rapid disassembly.

Maybe hot staging damaged the booster.
Speculation: a FTS test to make the FAA happy?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2826 on: November 18, 2023, 08:08:55 AM »
That's gotta count as successful for SpaceX, even losing the booster. Impressive as hell.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2827 on: November 18, 2023, 08:11:37 AM »
Look out Hawaii
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2828 on: November 18, 2023, 08:12:15 AM »
Suck it Jeff
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2829 on: November 18, 2023, 08:13:15 AM »
That's gotta count as successful for SpaceX, even losing the booster. Impressive as hell.

Absolutely.  It likely went better than even SpaceX was hoping for.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2830 on: November 18, 2023, 08:16:17 AM »
Word from SpX the FTS may have triggered on SS
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2831 on: November 18, 2023, 08:17:57 AM »
Maybe hot staging damaged the booster.
Speculation: a FTS test to make the FAA happy?

SpaceX is trying to confirm whether the FTS was triggered late in the burn.  If it did, obviously it was after staging.  Maybe during boost back.

edit:  Maybe FTS on Starship, not the booster.  That will be hard to confirm due to few downrange ground stations picking up telemetry.  Their best info at this time is the FTS triggered a few seconds after engine cutoff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2832 on: November 18, 2023, 08:22:47 AM »
Word is SS's FTS triggered right after engine cutoff.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2833 on: November 18, 2023, 08:32:30 AM »
Cue the MSM
SpaceX rockets blows ups seconds after launch! Is this the end of SpaceX?

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2834 on: November 18, 2023, 08:33:34 AM »
Seeing loose stuff blowing around but no concrete. No concrete tornado this time
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2835 on: November 18, 2023, 08:38:41 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2836 on: November 18, 2023, 08:43:39 AM »
SpaceX is trying to confirm whether the FTS was triggered late in the burn.  If it did, obviously it was after staging.  Maybe during boost back.

edit:  Maybe FTS on Starship, not the booster.  That will be hard to confirm due to few downrange ground stations picking up telemetry.  Their best info at this time is the FTS triggered a few seconds after engine cutoff.

NSF has a nice video of the booster exploding. They think the FTS may have triggered.
Will post a link as soon as they put it up on twitter.

Edit: As I was posting https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1725872284240347626
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2837 on: November 18, 2023, 08:47:01 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2838 on: November 18, 2023, 08:48:56 AM »
So far pad looks fine
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2839 on: November 18, 2023, 08:56:12 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2840 on: November 18, 2023, 09:03:40 AM »
So the FTS may have triggered in both the booster and Starship at roughly the same time in their flight profiles.  I bet they take a close look at the code that controls the FTS to make sure they didn't make boo-boo.
Even at that, there may have been perfectly legitimate reasons for the FTS to trigger in both rockets.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2841 on: November 18, 2023, 09:05:21 AM »
Max Evans
@_mgde_
It did the spicy thing: hot staging.

Ship 25 ignites all six Raptor engines to separate from Booster 9.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2842 on: November 18, 2023, 09:08:42 AM »
Got to remember what's important here, getting the first woman on the moon

Jim Free
@JimFree
Each test represents a step closer to putting the first woman on the Moon with the #Artemis III Starship human landing system. Looking forward to seeing what can be learned from this test that moves us closer to the next milestone.

Jim Free
@JimFree
Leading NASA's deep space human exploration activities as the Associate Administrator for Exploration Systems Development.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2843 on: November 18, 2023, 09:18:03 AM »
So the FTS may have triggered in both the booster and Starship at roughly the same time in their flight profiles.  I bet they take a close look at the code that controls the FTS to make sure they didn't make boo-boo.

Speculation based on what I've seen so far
There may have been some fear the booster was not coming down exactly where they wanted it to and better safe than sorry. It is a pretty narrow zone.
SS may not gotten into the exact sub-oribal path they wanted and again better safe than sorry. Blow it while it's in an area safe to do so.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2844 on: November 18, 2023, 09:21:51 AM »
Cue the MSM
SpaceX rockets blows ups seconds after launch! Is this the end of SpaceX?

How right you were.  Faux, CNN, and MSN headlines all say the rocket was lost.  CNBC headline says the rocket was intentionally destroyed mid-flight.  Not going to read their stupid stories.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2845 on: November 18, 2023, 09:22:40 AM »
In thrust we trust

- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2846 on: November 18, 2023, 09:24:00 AM »
Look at that!  All 33 engines burning brightly!  Way to cool!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2847 on: November 18, 2023, 09:29:50 AM »
Mach diamonds as big as a building

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2848 on: November 18, 2023, 09:31:25 AM »
One of the ground tanks has a huge dent in it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 09:46:24 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2849 on: November 18, 2023, 09:39:34 AM »
Tanker trucks already waiting at the road block to go in. Is B10 on the move?    :O  :P =D

- Calvin and Hobbes