Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 140049 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2875 on: November 19, 2023, 06:58:45 PM »
He should try some CH3NO2 in the next one.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2876 on: November 19, 2023, 07:37:04 PM »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 08:34:29 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2877 on: November 20, 2023, 02:35:05 PM »
B9/S25 are like "We're outta here!"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1726666641826857261

I'm in awe at how stable it is going up
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2878 on: November 21, 2023, 07:31:09 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2879 on: November 23, 2023, 12:58:35 PM »
33 engines working in unison to create a single mach diamond effect.  That's impressive.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2880 on: November 24, 2023, 03:39:49 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2881 on: November 28, 2023, 09:12:01 AM »
Looks like Jeff has a tube.  No word on the 7 engines supposed to be on the bottom, with the landing leg machinery and avionics.

Evidently NASA has booked a Class D mission to Mars on New Glenn, scheduled for early August of 2024.  Class D are the most tolerant of failure, and failure to hit the launch window will result in a 26 month delay to the mission.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2882 on: November 28, 2023, 09:21:20 AM »
Meanwhile

· SpaceX's 89th launch of the year and the 10th launch of the month (this matches record)
  · 256th Falcon orbital launch since Amos 6, F9's 276th orbital flight.
  · SpaceX's 157th launch from SLC-40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Y8PIci1O0
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2883 on: November 28, 2023, 09:43:10 AM »
Looks like Jeff has a tube.  No word on the 7 engines supposed to be on the bottom, with the landing leg machinery and avionics.

Evidently NASA has booked a Class D mission to Mars on New Glenn, scheduled for early August of 2024.  Class D are the most tolerant of failure, and failure to hit the launch window will result in a 26 month delay to the mission.

Have any BE-4's even flown yet?  I'm tracking the first Vulcan launch should be the moon mission this Dec, but are there any other vehicles using a BE-4?  Mars in 9 months seems optimistic for an engine that only leaves the ground when it explodes.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2884 on: November 28, 2023, 09:45:25 AM »
Bezos has had that tube for a year or two judging by all the pictures I have seen of it over time.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2885 on: November 28, 2023, 09:45:56 AM »
Have any BE-4's even flown yet? 

Nope and BO has been pretty tight lipped about any testing. Last test I remember seeing anything on it failed a year or so ago. Seen zip since.

You can watch SpX's engine testing live all day long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmmvhDQ2HM
They'll often fire 2 to 5 engines a day
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 09:59:14 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2886 on: November 28, 2023, 09:50:48 AM »
Bezos has had that tube for a year or two judging by all the pictures I have seen of it over time.

Think maybe that was this mockup https://twitter.com/Blobifi/status/1729296404886299010

- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2887 on: November 28, 2023, 10:00:38 AM »
Think maybe that was this mockup https://twitter.com/Blobifi/status/1729296404886299010

That's what they want you to think.   [tinfoil]   =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2888 on: November 28, 2023, 10:02:28 AM »
Have any BE-4's even flown yet?

Yes, but only in bits and pieces a short distance from the test stand.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2889 on: November 28, 2023, 10:04:03 AM »

That's what they want you to think.   [tinfoil]   =D

The world's biggest fleshlight for the world's biggest.......nevermind, I'm walking, no running, away from that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2890 on: November 28, 2023, 10:06:16 AM »
Yes, but only in bits and pieces a short distance from the test stand.

To be fair there are 72 Raptors in the gulf and 6 in the Atlantic right now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2891 on: November 28, 2023, 10:17:42 AM »
SpaceX has thrown more engines in the ocean then Blue Origin has manufactured.   =D =D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2892 on: November 28, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »

Yes, and they all flew there under power, thus proving the point.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2893 on: November 28, 2023, 10:49:24 AM »
Yes, and they all flew there under power, thus proving the point.

Most of them at least  =D
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2894 on: November 28, 2023, 10:49:48 AM »
Jokes aside:  SpaceX has gotten us used to blowing a few rockets up before you put anything important on them and expect them to work.  What are we thinking the odds of the first Vulcan, with the first flight rated BE-4s getting that little lander all the way to the moon next month are?  Does ULA have that thing dialed in?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2895 on: November 28, 2023, 11:02:54 AM »
And with the improvements from all those failures, SpaceX has their normal boosters working very reliably.  Because they know there are some design problems you won't find until you try to use them.  I appreciate that they are not quite as failure-phobic as other outfits. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2896 on: November 28, 2023, 11:09:53 AM »
Founded
BO - Sept 2000
SpX - March 2002

Objects place in LEO and beyond.
BO - 0
SpX - > 5,000 

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2897 on: November 28, 2023, 11:14:28 AM »
  Does ULA have that thing dialed in?

Guess we'll find out next month.....maybe. I'm not holding my breath
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2898 on: November 28, 2023, 11:18:45 AM »

SpaceX has thrown more engines in the ocean then Blue Origin has manufactured.   =D =D

And the total $ of these 78 Raptors was less than one, ONE!, NASA produced tax payer founded RS-25
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2899 on: November 28, 2023, 11:24:42 AM »
And the total $ of these 78 Raptors was less than one, ONE!, NASA produced tax payer founded RS-25

I rather doubt that.

Musk has aimed for an aspirational cost of $500k per engine, but those first 78 certainly did not all reach that cost threshold.  Even then, the market value of the Raptor as an engine is far higher than its cost... and the market value of an RS-25 is far higher than its cost.

You cannot compare cost of an object to the market price (however convoluted by government procurement) of another.
--Lysander Spooner