Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 140502 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #3050 on: January 08, 2024, 02:26:31 AM »
Reported the Pad/tower is on fire
Fire extinguishers activated

Edit: Never mind, they just said it's normal for the extinguishers to be activated to wash the soot off from the solids
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3051 on: January 08, 2024, 02:36:00 AM »
Obit
2nd burn in 20 minutes for Lunar injection
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3052 on: January 08, 2024, 03:10:14 AM »
Good TLI burn
Good separation
Peregrine on the way to moon

- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3053 on: January 08, 2024, 08:56:16 AM »
Saw some kind of a flamey bit fall away during boost phase and thought, "This could be it, stand by for a RUD!".  But nothing happened and no more flamey bits fell off.  Good to see that Bezo's engines actually worked for their first launch.  I hope they work again on the New Glenn later this year.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3054 on: January 08, 2024, 08:57:38 AM »
Saw some kind of a flamey bit fall away during boost phase and thought, "This could be it, stand by for a RUD!".  But nothing happened and no more flamey bits fell off.  Good to see that Bezo's engines actually worked for their first launch.  I hope they work again on the New Glenn later this year.

Could have been ice falling away catching the light of the engine.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3055 on: January 08, 2024, 09:09:57 AM »
Could have been ice falling away catching the light of the engine.

Yup, could have been.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3056 on: January 08, 2024, 10:26:56 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3057 on: January 08, 2024, 10:31:16 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3058 on: January 08, 2024, 10:33:59 AM »
Blue smiley face from the BE-4 engines between the booster plumes.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3059 on: January 08, 2024, 10:35:54 AM »
Blue smiley face from the BE-4 engines between the booster plumes.

Yeah, the NSF people noticed that too last night
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3060 on: January 08, 2024, 10:53:59 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3061 on: January 08, 2024, 12:09:41 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3062 on: January 08, 2024, 01:25:44 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3063 on: January 08, 2024, 02:41:24 PM »
Can't let them see the secret bases.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3064 on: January 08, 2024, 10:25:18 PM »
Can't let them see the secret bases.

Are those the Nazi bases or the alien bases, or both?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3065 on: January 09, 2024, 02:13:14 PM »
Nazi Transformers.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3066 on: January 09, 2024, 04:25:33 PM »
SpaceX is looking at next month for big boomer 3. Forgot to grab a link but starship should be ready this month and expecting approval in February.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3067 on: January 10, 2024, 11:45:22 AM »
This is my shocked face
Always thought the fly by was doable timetable wise but the landing timetable was a bit ambiguous. Turns out both are going to be delayed by a considable margin due to issues with life support, launch abort sys, and the heat shield.

NASA is postponing the next two Artemis missions, including the first crewed landing on the moon, by nearly a year to address technical issues that could affect the safety of the astronauts on board.

During a Jan. 9 media teleconference, NASA Administrator Bill Nelson announced that Artemis 2, the first crewed mission that will send four astronauts around the moon, had been pushed back from the end of 2024 to no earlier than September 2025. Artemis 3, the first crewed landing, was in turn delayed from late 2025 to no earlier than September 2026.

NASA delays Artemis 2 and 3 missions
https://spacenews.com/nasa-delays-artemis-2-and-3-missions/
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3068 on: January 10, 2024, 05:16:31 PM »
At this point I think NASA would have trouble landing a crew safely in a Walmart parking lot.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3069 on: January 10, 2024, 05:41:32 PM »
At this point I think NASA would have trouble landing a crew safely in a Walmart parking lot.

$25 billion and 10-15 year later I'm sure they'll could have a plan drawn up
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3070 on: January 10, 2024, 08:18:18 PM »
$25 billion and 10-15 year later I'm sure they'll could have a plan drawn up
To be fair, the landing plan will be as safe as is humanly possible and will have a solid focus on diversity and equity.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3071 on: January 12, 2024, 08:30:00 AM »
Chris Bergin - NSF
@NASASpaceflight
The soon-to-retire Japanese H-2 rocket is set to launch with the IGS-8 military satellite in around 15 minutes.

Livestream:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=2STD1o
https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1745663720791920960

Check out that dogleg

Chris Bergin - NSF
@NASASpaceflight
SRB Sep.

And check out the dogleg!

Wow

https://twitter.com/i/status/1745669005149421608

- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3072 on: January 12, 2024, 08:39:53 AM »
This is my shocked face
Always thought the fly by was doable timetable wise but the landing timetable was a bit ambiguous. Turns out both are going to be delayed by a considable margin due to issues with life support, launch abort sys, and the heat shield.

NASA delays Artemis 2 and 3 missions
https://spacenews.com/nasa-delays-artemis-2-and-3-missions/

This one was entirely predictable and cracks me up that people who follow space didn't see it coming years ago.

The maiden flight of "Orion" on a Delta IV Heavy used no ECLSS at all and had a different heat shield, known to be inferior to the intended one, but they launched it anyways.

The Artemis I mission launched on an SLS block 1 also had an incomplete ECLSS onboard and had reentry problems with its heat shield.

There was no reason to do the DIVH launch if the ECLSS isn't included, and the heatshield was a cobbled together affair.

To my mind, Orion still has never launched.  As bad as it sounds, I think Orion needs a maiden manned flight doing a milk run to the ISS, assuming it isn't too large to dock at one of the IDA ports.  It'd be awful to waste an SLS on that, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3073 on: January 12, 2024, 08:54:00 AM »
To my mind, Orion still has never launched.  As bad as it sounds, I think Orion needs a maiden manned flight doing a milk run to the ISS, assuming it isn't too large to dock at one of the IDA ports.  It'd be awful to waste an SLS on that, though.

Yeah, $3-4 billion for a flight to the ISS when SpX can do it for what? $60-100 mil. It's hard to get a firm trustworthy figure

Speaking of costs

In 2011, SpaceX estimated that Falcon 9 v1.0 development costs were on the order of US$300 million.[40] NASA estimated development costs of US$3.6 billion had a traditional cost-plus contract approach been used.[41] A 2011 NASA report "estimated that it would have cost the agency about US$4 billion to develop a rocket like the Falcon 9 booster based upon NASA's traditional contracting processes" while "a more commercial development" approach might have allowed the agency to pay only US$1.7 billion".[42]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_9

Note : That 2011

And it likely would go up even more, way more,  since it would probably still be in development

Government vs commercial
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:13:30 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3074 on: January 13, 2024, 07:50:33 AM »
More info on the loss of S25 from SpX

Flight 2 Ship 25 EOM:

"So Flight 2 actually almost made it to orbit. In fact, ironically, if it had a payload, it would have made it to orbit, because the reason that it actually didn't quite make it to orbit was we vented the liquid oxygen, and the liquid oxygen ultimately led to fire and an explosion. Because we wanted to vent the liquid oxygen because we normally wouldn't have that liquid oxygen if we had a payload.

"So ironically, if it had a payload, it would have reached orbit. And so I think we've got a really good shot of reaching orbit with flight three and then a rapid cadence to achieve full and rapid reusability."

Per Elon at a live company update https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1745941814165815717
Sounds like maybe a whoopsy to me

Also some info on Flight 3 and two towers at Starbase at the link

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1745952239984738417
- Calvin and Hobbes