Author Topic: Finally, some common sense being demonstrated in Kali...  (Read 25766 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: Finally, some common sense being demonstrated in Kali...
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
Who's to say the tribal ritual didn't develop from the tribe's experience with the same issues of infection so that the ritual served the function of encouraging the procedure?

How about a different approach: defund routine infant circumcision.  It damned well shouldn't be covered by Medicaid, and it shouldn't be standard in private insurance either.  Make people pay extra for it, and fewer people will think it's worth it.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2234965184&topic=15502

@cs&d
That list at your second url would be similar for FGM, as Zahc laid out.  The MO of both forms of branding seems to be "mutiliate infants as much as possible while preserving basic sexual function".  With IVF, the "basic sexual function" goalposts could be moved so far that prostate removal could be justified as well.  Circumcision boils down to being a personal choice and preference, and that's simply not something a parent can decide on behalf of a child unless there's some unusual pressing medical risk.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:32:23 AM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
  Perhaps guys are "funny about sharp things" in the genital area because a piece of it was cut off way back when in pre-verbal memory?

I can tell you I am darned "funny" about it, and I have NO prior experience therewith.

Comparisons between circumcision, FGM and facial tattoos illustrate the futility of attempting to achieve a culture-neutral, hyper-rationalist, uber-secularist state. Culture and religion are a part of a nation and must (will, should) inform its politics and laws. Attempts to get around this are like attempts to cut reason off from its philosophical or religious suppositions. It results in nihilism.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »
So basically you want the U.S. laws relating to infant mutilation/branding to be monocultural?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2010, 07:31:42 AM »
Yes; since I'm not a moral relativist that believes that certain things are moral for certain cultures, I believe there are things that are universally immoral; I believe that there are things that are unambiguously human rights volations, and having a monoculture of defending said human rights is ok with me. I also think that US laws should be a monoculture with regards to legality of firearms, freedom of speech, and freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures, regardless of cultural factors.

Besides, it's a state law. Not a federal law. I would oppose such a federal law. 
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »

Comparisons between circumcision, FGM and facial tattoos illustrate the futility of attempting to achieve a culture-neutral, hyper-rationalist, uber-secularist state. Culture and religion are a part of a nation and must (will, should) inform its politics and laws. Attempts to get around this are like attempts to cut reason off from its philosophical or religious suppositions. It results in nihilism.

This is true. But San Fran has a different culture from, say, Random City, Missouri.

Let me repeat: I do not [like Zahc, tyme, and some other posters] believe that there is a universal, hard line on what procedures it should be legal for parents to have done to their children. The children do not have - because they're children - a universal right to be free from medical procedures, but neither do the parents have an unlimited right to choose them. This is a good thing. The state can legalize some procedures if it thinks they are 'good' (like vaccinations) or ban others if they think they are 'bad' (like female circumcision, where even the non-crippling forms are prohibited). This is done through the process called 'democracy' and is left best to localities.

My philosophy tells me you should be free to do whatever you want unless you harm another human being. A child is another human being. It is not the undivided property of its guardian. THe question is not whether parents have 'rights' per se but how to best safeguard the rights of all individuals. Sometimes letting the parents choose is best. Sometimes the state must intervene.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »
oopsy. wrong thread...  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
Besides, it's a state law. Not a federal law. I would oppose such a federal law.  

What the difference if it is the state imposing a law or the federal government, besides the number of people it affects?

Quote from: cassandra and sara's daddy on November 14, 2010, 01:58:52 PM
the adults i know who have been circumsized
Quote from: cassandra and sara's daddy on November 14, 2010, 01:58:52 PM
it was fairly traumatic to them as adults.

You mean adults who had it done as an adult and not after birth?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
What the difference if it is the state imposing a law or the federal government, besides the number of people it affects?

Defined, limited powers, and the Tenth Amendment.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2010, 06:08:59 PM »
So basically you want the U.S. laws relating to infant mutilation/branding to be monocultural?

FAIL. I don't know about you, but I don't base my political opinions on my own personal desires.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »

You mean adults who had it done as an adult and not after birth?

yea in their 40's and 50's
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2010, 07:54:02 AM »
It is a very painful recovery as an adult. The prevailing wisdom has always been it COULD give you trouble later in life and if it does you'll be in a world of hurt so why not get it done at birth and prevent all that.

I'm tossed myself betweeen, "Gee, I wonder what it would have been like to be unsnipped and hmmm, maybe it was a good thing they did." Neither of which I will ever know.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!