Author Topic: Gov't Job?  (Read 1704 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Gov't Job?
« on: October 16, 2006, 11:07:58 AM »
The other thread about leaving the gov't got me thinking...

What chances do a 49 YO Navy vet have of landing a Govt job at this point? I'm feeling pretty burnt out myself on the HVAC and, given the rigors of the job, that's both mentally AND physically. I'm thinking about a career change. Is the Gov't an option for me at my "advanced" age? Just curious.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Gov't Job?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:09:18 AM »
There's only one use for your oldsters - Soylent Green.  The rest of us have to eat, you know.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
Gov't Job?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »
Thanks, I'll take that under advisement. Tongue

mtnbkr

• friend
Gov't Job?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 11:58:51 AM »
At least in this area (NoVa/Md/DC), people your age move into and out of govt jobs all the time.  The key issue is having a skillset that's needed by our alien overlords, I mean govt betters, I mean loyal civil servants. Smiley

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Gov't Job?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 11:58:57 AM »
I'm feeling pretty burnt out myself on the HVAC
There's gotta be a joke there somewhere...

If you really want to look, I think most of the agencies post jobs online. It doesn't cost anything to try and, who knows, you might get lucky.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Gov't Job?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 12:25:01 PM »
Yup, prior vet is a big plus, and I see lots of people come and go in the 40-60 range. Might as well use the "anti-old guy" non-discrimantory stuff. Everybody else in the .gov has an Affirmative Action gig going... Cheesy

Seems like with your experience you'd have good luck looking in Facilities Management at an agency, or else maybe GSA (unless you're looking outside of your current career experience).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Gov't Job?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 12:45:41 PM »
Try here,

www.usajobs.gov

You never know what you might find.

As far as going to work for the .gov at 49, your chances are as good as anyone elses. If you can use a vet preference, it is better than some.

Once in you can pay the .gov an amount of money and you military service will count towards leave, retirement...etc. As long as you didn't retire from the Navy that is.

bob

jeff-10

Gov't Job?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »
Landing a goverment job is pretty much all about location, perseverance and luck. Agencies get a windfall budget and hire like mad. Then they have no hiring budget for 5 or 10 years. For the past 3 or 4 years landing one has been easier than in the past. Mainly because all the baby boomers are retiring in mass. Your age will have no bearing on you being hired unless you want a federal LEO job. In that case you are out of luck because you have to be under 37 for those. From what I can see most young people have no desire to work for the goverment. The hiring process is too arduous and you have to have private sector experience to appreciate it.

The higher profile agencies like the FBI, CIA, IRS, NSA, DEA and such are much harder to get into then the ones that aren't as easily recognizable. Some like the FBI, IRS and DoJ people join for 2-3 years and leave for the private sector just for resume fodder or some kind of ticket there trying to punch. IMHO if you have both military experience and a bachelors, especially in finance, engineering or accounting you will be able land some type of federal.gov job. I believe OPM has mandated that all hiring take place from usajobs.gov, even if the position is off the general schedule like the Foreign Service. The only jobs where that may not be true is where you contact recruiters like if you want to be in the border patrol or a special agent with the FBI and such. Goverment IT jobs are notoriously hard to come by if you aren't already an employee of the goverment. It is usually where they move people who are having problems or are just tired of the position they were originally hired for. Like mountain biker said the closer you are to DC the easier it is to land one.

280plus

• friend
Gov't Job?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 03:40:53 PM »
Thanks folks, I'll be looking into it. Smiley

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Gov't Job?
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:50:41 AM »
Some time back, I took  a government job.  State actually.  Working with minorities and whack jobs, slackers and union thugs was just too much.  Despite the decent pay and bennies, I bailed and headed back to private business.  Trust me, there is zero productivity in government.

DesertShooter

Re: Gov't Job?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 06:03:36 AM »
Former Navy, with "X" amount of years in before you pulled the pin?  Heck, you probably have almost countless "contacts" that are still in the Navy, and who might be able to help you out! There may be some "civilianized" jobs within the Navy that would fit right into your expertise!

Me?  I "retired" from active duty USAF back in 1969.  I went into law enforcement after that, but am still kicking myself for not having signed up for the USAF reserves or ANG duty!  Do you still have the option of going into the USN reserves?  If you do, you'd probably make even MORE contacts for job opportunities!

Maybe you should have stayed in a bit longer?  You were sure YOUNG, at age 49, to be retired!

280plus

• friend
Re: Gov't Job?
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 08:28:57 AM »
No, i never retired from the Nav. I have 6 years in service, 5 active 1 inactive reserves. I got out in 1980 so I don't have the number of contacts I used to but there ARE some still around now that you mention it. Lots of them are park rangers which could interest me. I'm 49 now and I want to steer into a less physically demanding job. The joints like the knees and elbows just don't like it anymore. Plus, I've been doing HVAC in the private sector for 25 years and I'm a little tired of it. The part about nothing productive getting done is a problem for me though. I'm used to providing instant results. Thanks for the input!