Author Topic: Desktop Computer Recommendations  (Read 2857 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Desktop Computer Recommendations
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:37:42 PM »
After many years, my home computer finally crapped out. It was an eMachines 633-something or other (don't laugh, it was da bomb back in the day). Now I'm ready for another one, just the tower (CPU?) since I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I'm not going to spend more than $500 for something that'll probably be obsolete the minute I plug it in. I won't do much with it besides net surf, email and share photos (maybe). Any recommendations?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

LAK

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:52:39 AM »
Recently bought a used Dell system - everything for $150 from a local seller who fixes, sells etc from home. Works fine and if it dies, they'll fix it.

My advice is, unless you want to run programs that demand a very fast system with alot of RAM - buy modest and used. As you say, anything you buy new and pay good money for will be worthless six months down the road - which is why used systems can be had so cheap.

-----------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 03:29:17 AM »
If it's an older E-machines, it's probably the power supply.   $50 for a replacement for PC Power and Cooling, and you're back on the road.

Not that that's my recommendation, mind you.

You should be able to find something in that price range easily.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 04:24:45 AM »
Under $500 will buy LOTS of desktop.

My relfelx suggestion is to buy an entry Dell business desktop and spring for the Gold level service, thus assuring that you will speak to someone in the CONUS for support, rather than "Bob" in India.

If it were me, I would pay a local white-box PC builder to build me a box.  MUCH easier to just bring the PC to him & drop it off in case of problmes than wait for a Dell repair rep to show up or ship it off to Dell.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 05:18:00 AM »
Quote from: LadySmith
I won't do much with it besides net surf, email and share photos (maybe).
The MOST demanding applications home users are likely to encounter are high-end computer games - if you rule those out, you substantially cut the price of your machine.

Will you be copying DVDs? Will you be running office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) a lot? If not, that further cuts your requirements.

In that case, I'd look for a used computer (Goodwill Industries, your local paper's classifieds, local computer discounters in the "tech" or "business" section of your paper) and get a used PC with a Pentium IV or AMD Athlon processor with a clock speed of at least 2 GHz.  

To get an idea of what used/refurbished PCs go for, you can check the Dell outlet at http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 04:48:03 PM »
www.tigerdirect.com

Huge bang for the buck.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 05:28:41 PM »
Another vote for Dell refurbished machines for an inexpensive PC.  I've put four of such boxes into service over the years, all still chugging away happily at their tasks.  The only gotcha is that there is a very limited warranty on 'em (30 days or so).  One friend purchased one for his wife, and it had a bad video card.  Replaced free since it was discovered w/in that 30 days.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 05:30:22 PM »
Whatever you get, I recommend choosing more RAM over faster CPU speed if you have to make a choice.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »
I recently bought a Macintosh: horrendously expensive mistake.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 05:48:08 PM »
Why so Standing Wolf?  What hassles have you had with the Mac?  I've been thinking about adding a mini-Mac to my pool of machines.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 08:37:05 PM »
If you feel comfortable fiddling around with something new yourself, you can build an incredible AMD based machine for around $500 these days.  Newegg's running a special where you can get an AMD 64 3400+ (socket 939) and a motherboard for $99.  Throw in a gig of ram (~$120), a big HD (SATA 300-400 giggers go on sale regularly for 90-100 if you keep an eye out, maybe $130 regular), a cheapo PCI-e video card (as much as you want, but ~50 on the low end), a tower (~50), and a power supply (~30) and you're good to go.

At $500, depending on what you can harvest from the emachine, you could even be getting into C2D range, which is the best bang for the buck out there, and easily overclockable.  If you can use your same video card, hard drive, case, and power supply, you can upgrade the RAM, motherboard, and CPU for about $400. (Less if you don't want to go with overclocking, because you can substitute a much cheaper motherboard.)

With Intel offering a great price/performance ratio on its Intel Core 2 Duo line and AMD madly slashing prices almost daily to compete, now is an excellent time to be in the computer market.

As a bonus, either option is Windows Vista ready, so you're future proofed (for a given definition of future, anyway Smiley), which you may not get with a refurbished Dell.  Of course, this may not even be a concern for you.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 06:24:02 AM »
Corporate lease turn-in Dell or IBM professional machines, particularly workstations.  Bulletproof, cheap, and you can still get parts and documentation easy.

I've been running a small business reselling those very same systems, and have a lot of satisfied customers.  One place to find them:

www.pcsurplusonline.com
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 07:41:15 AM »
Whatever you get, I recommend choosing more RAM over faster CPU speed if you have to make a choice
BIG plus one on that.

Also, the Dell Store has some decent stuff from time to time. These are the machines that people return under the 30 day guarantee, that were misbuilds or canceled orders, or that are pulled from the production line because they failed diagnostics for some reason. They can't be sold as new, so Dell runs them back through a repair/refurbish line and sells them through the Dell store. Full factory warranty in place, too. Be aware that most of them do NOT come with a monitor.

The page takes a little getting used to, but a quick search by Dimension series and sort by price should get you some pretty good deals.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 11:51:13 AM »
If you, or any member of the Smith family qualify, this Aafes deal is by far the best around:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=663689

Some people are saying this specific upgrade to the X2 3800 processor is a pricing mistake, but even if you choose another processor from the list, the discount is incredible compared to Dell's regular rates, and the warranty can't be beat.

Note to non-military readers who may be interested, you can get the same or similar deals if your company is part of Dell's EPP corporate discount program.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 08:07:04 AM »
Quote from: Standing Wolf
I recently bought a Macintosh: horrendously expensive mistake.
Just out of curiosity, why? Lack of performance? Lack of applications, interoperability, or Huh?

I'm not a fan of Macs myself - for a time I worked in a lab that was largely committed to Macs (the lab manager loved his Betamax, too!) and learned that the name meant "Machine Always Crashes, If Not The Operating System Hangs"  Wink - and the less said about that wretched, buggy, "Appletalk" networking the better.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 02:26:45 PM »
all I am going to say, is don't waste your money on anything by Compaq or HP.  Garbage equipment.

Kestrel

• friend
Re: Desktop Computer Recommendations
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 08:39:36 PM »
I'm not a fan of Macs myself - for a time I worked in a lab that was largely committed to Macs (the lab manager loved his Betamax, too!) and learned that the name meant "Machine Always Crashes, If Not The Operating System Hangs"  Wink - and the less said about that wretched, buggy, "Appletalk" networking the better.

Hank,

The technology you're referring to, is a good many years in the past. For a number of years, Macs have been a completely different OS architecture than the older System 7/8/9 OS.