Author Topic: SHTF, WHEN not IF.  (Read 4341 times)

Zed

SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« on: October 20, 2006, 04:48:33 PM »
With the way that things appear to be going on worldwide the likelyhood S hitting the Fan is in no way a matter of IF but of WHEN

Here is a few examples

The UK Endlessly sinking deeper the Cesspool of Surveillance Police State
More and More of the US Constitution & Bill of Rights being used as Toilet paper by various Elitist/Traitor Groups in the US on a Daily basis.
Germany creeping back toward Fascism
the whole EU in General in a Collision course with Communism
China Sucking our Economy Dry
NK testing Nukes & Declaring War on the USA, & despite that the President Insists we have to Attack Iran and Ignores NK
Endless threat's by Islamic Extremists to attack us yet our .gov refuses to secure our borders.

I have a terrible feeling that it's all going to come to a head soon, and when it does its going to likely be total chaos.

what do you guys think?
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 05:08:38 PM »
I agree.  Once I get resettled in Va I'll be revising my emergency plans and supplies.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:13:44 PM »
I have also been thinking about this.  Can anyone recommend a good guide to preparedness?  (I.e., what to stock up on, what to do in various situations, where to go, what to expect?)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 10:27:53 PM »
Quote from: fistful
I have also been thinking about this.  Can anyone recommend a good guide to preparedness?  (I.e., what to stock up on, what to do in various situations, where to go, what to expect?)
Not in particular, except for a couple things.

1) Standard household bleach will disinfect water of micro-organisms - one gallon to thousands of gallons of water.

2. Properly canned food will last many years - that some examples of properly canned food have been discovered that were safe to eat after +100 years

My conclusion from this is that keeping a couple extra gallons of bleach and a hundred bucks worth of canned food in your cupboards won't hurt anything, and might even help out in a moderate SHTF scenario, and could be lifesaving in an extreme SHTF scenario.

Of course the ol' 'boy scout handbook', packets of waterproof matches, a .22 and a couple of bricks of ammo, and a few fishhooks wouldn't hurt either Cheesy
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 12:44:51 AM »
Go to the military surplus store and buy a few different survival mauals. Read them.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 05:08:04 AM »
Mel Tappan wrote extensively on this whole subject, back in the late 1970s.  It's as good a single-source as you'll find.  Start with Google and Wikipedia.  Then, maybe, used-book sources.

The website of TimeBomb 2000 has bunches of people who have spent years worrying over the SHTF and TEOTWAWKI issues.  Lots of advice there; some of it useful. Smiley

Basically, if you believe that all manner of hard times are coming, figure out NOW where you could best survive, and try to be there within a relatively short time from now.  You have to consider physical safety probabilities, energy needs and some amount of self-sufficiency as to water and food.  All else is details.

Lifestyle and income is rather secondary to survival...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

TMM

• friend
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 05:33:34 AM »
i'd like to get ready for SHTF as soon as i can, but my parents will think i'm crazy. never the less, i'm trying to be as ready as possible, and once i'm 18, i'll probably be getting a FAL or somesuch, and start stocking up on various needed items.

things might go to *expletive deleted*it before that, but i don't think it'll reach the general public until a ways after that.

~tmm

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 05:57:16 AM »
theres some serious SHTF folke on arf.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=123

engage your Walter Mitty filters
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Green Lantern

SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 06:27:03 AM »
My favorive S&P forum: http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=151

Got PREPS?!

My initial response to the OP, as tired as I was, was going to be:

"What am I gonna do?  RE-EVALUATE my stand against getting falling-down drunk so I quit worrying about it for a bit!" Wink Sad

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 07:12:09 AM »
I'm just amazed at those folks for whom "SHTF" means that the power is off for a couple hours ... Cheesy
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 08:07:44 AM »
It will happen the 5th of November.  That's what the guy in the mask said.Cheesy

While you guys are playing SHTF, Natalie Portman and I will be in the South of France.  I will be reading while a naked Natalie brings me fruit.

Nonsense.  As long as man has existed, there have been fantasies about the end of the world, from the Rainbow Bridge to Emperor Nero coming out of the Med and destroying Israel.  It's all nonsense.  

It is Peter Panism, escapism, much like the gun nut board musings about bears, pumas, and zombies.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 01:57:14 PM »
ET! Mountain Lions eat your face first!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 04:30:49 PM »
Gimme a break!
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 06:00:31 PM »
what do I think?  Balderdash, thats what.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 06:32:00 PM »
An acquaintance of mine is Mormon. He hooked me up with this website which is run by the Latter Day Saints. These folks preach preparedness as part of their religion and they have it down.

http://www.providentliving.org/

There are articles on preparedness including what to store and how to store it.

Start there, then go to THR and read all the post Hurricane Katrina posts about what went right and what went wrong. Preacherman started a couple of good threads that have plenty of "been there done that" info.

brimic

• friends
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 04:50:02 AM »
TINFOIL HELMET, WHEN not IF.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 06:16:19 AM »
Don't fret about life too much, you will never get out of it alive.

On a side note...

I just took up backpacing.

The kind where you go off into the woods for days at a time and live off of what you can carry, living off grid.

There are skills and gear that carry over from this hobby to surviving a SHTF situation.

CAnnoneer

• friend
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »
I think SHTF scenarios and preparations are a very strong function of local environment. If you are in a relatively rural area, your primary concern would probably be enough food, clean water, and medical supplies over a long time. On the other hand, people like me stuck in a sea of 10 million within a 50-mile radius will find out that in a SHTF situation the almost exclusive source of jeopardy would be of the bipedal type, while the time scales involved will be considerably shorter.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 11:02:35 AM »
Hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards are all commonplace in certain parts of the country.  Power outages, municipal water supply problems, chemical fires, you name it.  There are all sorts of mundane reasons to cause a local disaster.  You don't have to be a tinfoiler or believe in the end times to know that preparation makes sense.

The first thing to do is draw up a list of what types of disasters or calamities you want to be prepared for, and for each one identify whether or not it would be prudent to remain in your home.  

If you do want to remain in your home, you have the comparatively simple task of stocking up on whatever supplies and tools you think you'll need.  The basic supplies incluide water, food, and self defense (which I trust everyone here already has).  Secondary supplies include things like flashlights, radios, batteries, soap, toilet paper, kerosene heaters or warm blankets, cash, first aid, and other useful things of that sort.

If the disasters you fear would drive you from your home, then you need to make plans to be able to leave in a hurry.  Have a well-maintained vehicle stocked with basics like food, water, a change clothing, blankets, lots of maps, and some cash.  Have a bag or a box of additional supplies packed up and ready to go, stored in the basement or garage so that you can load in into the vehicle quickly.  Be prepared, mentally and physically, to flee on a moments notice.  It makes sense to have a destination or three in mind first, and to fine tune your plans around it.  But this isn't strictly necessary.  Do the preparations to flee first, the top priority is to be able to get away from home should your life ever depend on that.  If necessary you can improvise along the way, AFTER you've left.

Green Lantern

SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 02:21:18 PM »
Quote from: Mannlicher
what do I think?  Balderdash, thats what.
Y'all take YOUR chances and I'll take mine....! Wink

oldfart

SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 08:38:39 PM »
There was a poster (FERFAL) over on Frugal Squirrels forum who lives in Argentina.  He has had to live through a very real SHTF situation in his country and has written extensively about it.  Many of his observations fail to fit what we think will happen but he has something we don't have - experience.

Art Eatman

• friend
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 03:07:47 AM »
Flashlights and other electronic gear are devices for storing dead batteries.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 06:49:45 AM »
"Hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards are all commonplace in certain parts of the country."

Not to mention wildfires Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
SHTF, WHEN not IF.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 11:25:39 AM »
Quote from: Tallpine
I'm just amazed at those folks for whom "SHTF" means that the power is off for a couple hours ... Cheesy
I rather like it when that happens.

For me, the crap hitting the rotary blades would probably consist of a large fire in my area.  We've had two so far this year that threatened my town, and both times I bugged out.  I'm not staying to try and save my apartment.  
In the event of some sort of major event in San Diego, my town is on the main highway heading east out of the area.  We'd probably be over run by people stopping for food and gas.  In that case, I'll lay low in my place and wait for the hoards to pass.