Author Topic: Last Line Irony  (Read 691 times)

Last Line Irony
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:22:58 AM »
No Other Country Willing to Take Him, US Frees Ex-Nazi Camp Guard

New York Lawyer
October 18, 2006

By The Associated Press

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Federal authorities freed a former Nazi concentration camp guard after failing to find a country willing to take the 81-year-old man, who had been stripped of his U.S. citizenship.

The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in January upheld a decision to revoke Johann Leprich's citizenship.

In September, Leprich's lawyer asked a federal judge to order his client released, citing a 2001 U.S. Supreme Court decision requiring the freeing of those still held for deportation six months after a removal order.

The Justice Department said it released Leprich on Monday because Romania, Hungary and Germany refused to accept him, despite high-level meetings with officials from those countries, the Detroit Free Press reported in its Wednesday editions.

"What country is going to accept an 81-year-old man who is in declining health?" said Leprich's attorney, Joseph McGinness.

Leprich was released to his wife and son, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Greg Palmore said. He said Leprich must report weekly to ICE and the agency will continue to seek his deportation.

Leprich, an ethnic German born in Romania, joined the Nazi military organization Waffen SS in 1943 and served as a guard at Mauthausen concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Austria, court records say. About 119,000 people were killed at Mauthausen, including political prisoners, Jews, and Soviet, Dutch and Czech prisoners of war.

He immigrated to the U.S. after World War II and became a U.S. citizen in 1958. But he fled to Canada in 1987, shortly before a federal judge moved to revoke his citizenship for hiding his Nazi party membership.

Leprich was arrested in 2003 when authorities found him hiding behind a panel under the basement stairs at his family's home about 20 miles northeast of Detroit.

BakerMikeRomeo

Last Line Irony
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 07:20:05 AM »
Leprich was arrested in 2003 when authorities found him hiding behind a panel under the basement stairs at his family's home about 20 miles northeast of Detroit.
Shoe's on the other foot, now, idnit, Johann?

~GnSx

DesertShooter

Re: Last Line Irony
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 05:46:49 AM »
Ironic?  YES!  In my opinion, his hiding was a display of "guilt", too! That man has NOT had a happy life, never knowing when/if he would be caught!  In a way, I guess that he has "suffered", and hopefully "haunted" by his past!

When I read that article, I wondered why he hadn't been deported to either Paraguay or Brazil!  There were almost countless Nazi's that fled to those countries, and I'd bet that there are STILL quite a few there.

To answer the question of what country would "accept" him:  Well, it should be very obvious!  He will remain here in the USA, be given FREE medical services, FREE food, FREE housing, and probably be enrolled for Social Security benefits!  The good old USA!