Author Topic: Magic Eraser Lovin  (Read 1551 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Magic Eraser Lovin
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:38:17 AM »
HOLY CRAP! I just bought a generic Magic Eraser at Meijer, because I had some tough spots on a few surfaces. I was very doubtful of its abilities, but it was only a few dollars and the various cleaners, including Lime Away, weren't doing the trick.

The first spot I tried was a few wierd blue stains on the side of my toilet bowl that looked almost like ink, a little present left by the plumber. They just weren't coming off. Also, there was some serious water residue on parts of my tube. Not cool either.

The little eraser is a light, fluffy sponge when you pull it out. I dampened it a bit, like the directions said, and went to the toilet. About a half-dozen scrubs later, the wierd blue stains were totally gone. I just sat there wide eyed in disbelief.

I thought I'd try something a little more substantial and took it to the tub. Earlier that afternoon, despite using every cleaner and all the elbow grease I could muster, I couldn't get the stuff off. Some work o' the magic sponge-wand and the stuff started coming right off. It was fantastic. The surface area was larger and rougher however, so the sponge was starting to show some real wear and tear.

I was so happy with this thing I almost called every person I know just tell them know about it. Instead, all of you get to hear the news! Lucky you!

But seriously, wall marks, dingy tiles, water marks, scar tissue, cancer, guilt.... it does it all....
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 07:04:15 AM »
Will it remove blood from clothes and carpet?  A lot of blood?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

DrAmazon

• friend
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:53:57 AM »
My best friend with 4 small children SWEARS by magic eraser.  She figures it has kept her out of jail, (if that won't come off the wall I'm going to kill that kid).  

Magic eraser is like the first time you use a Swiffer.  You are so amazed that it works so well that you wander the house looking desperately for something else to try it on, and you've got this bizarre urge to show/tell everyone how well it works.

Someday, I need to look into the chemistry of the darned thing.  

I restored an old, nasty drafting table using one of those.  It was covered in spilled ink that had been there for years.  It looks great and is now ready to be converted to a reloading bench!
Experiment with a chemist!

Green Lantern

Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 12:14:43 PM »
BAH - Magic Eraser is overrated, at least on hard water stains in my tub!

Easy-Off BAM is the only stuff that can cut through those! :p

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 02:38:21 PM »
I know, I haven't got the slightest clue how it works. I hate not knowing how things work. Time to waste the night scowering the internet....

I think I'm going to have to drop out of school and follow my real passion, and become a sales rep for Mr. Clean... Anyone got tips on how to shave your head?
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 06:44:22 PM »
Quote from: DrAmazon
My best friend with 4 small children SWEARS by magic eraser.
+1. My 3 yr old grandson decided to make use of the extra "whitespace" in our apartment using a red crayon. I was in the store pricing paint and decided to pick one up for the heck of it. Went home and followed the directions, crayon wiped off like a dry erase board. shocked

Magic eraser is like the first time you use a Swiffer.  You are so amazed that it works so well that you wander the house looking desperately for something else to try it on, and you've got this bizarre urge to show/tell everyone how well it works.
Yep, pretty much. Spots I had given up on got the whole treatment. Gotta try the Swiffer next.

Azrael256

• friend
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 06:58:03 PM »
I hate not knowing how things work.
Me too.

Anyway, it's an extremely fine abrasive.  If you think about it, crayon wax is way softer than a good semi-gloss paint, so if you had an extremely fine abrasive in a flexible foam pad (or a foam that happened to be abrasive itself), you could scrape off the wax without digging deeply into the paint.  No chemistry involved, really.  It's just like sandblasting my mother's meatloaf out of the pan but on a microscopic scale.

As for hard water stains...  I think those might be too thick for that kind of abrasive to really scrape off.  You'd need about a dozen pads attached to an inline sander to really make a difference.

BTW, the seats in your car are the same stuff.

Antibubba

• friend
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 10:11:42 PM »
And if I order one in the next 20 minutes, what else do I get?   Tongue
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 05:42:26 AM »
It is a block of melamine foam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_eraser .  It works as a very fine abrasive.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 01:32:09 PM »
Magic eraser is like the first time you use a Swiffer.  You are so amazed that it works so well...
The Swiffer does a fine job... of moving dirt from one place to another.  It is a lousy mop.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 04:17:31 AM »
Thanks for the good word on their function. I thought it had to be blessed by a clergyman or something...

I've never been as impressed with the swiffer. It worked for two or three 'pushes' but that's about it. Afterwards all it seemed to do was move the dirt from one location to another, and then it was wet and that much harder to get off the floor.

DrAmazon

• friend
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »
Quote from: SpookyPistolero
Thanks for the good word on their function. I thought it had to be blessed by a clergyman or something...

I've never been as impressed with the swiffer. It worked for two or three 'pushes' but that's about it. Afterwards all it seemed to do was move the dirt from one location to another, and then it was wet and that much harder to get off the floor.
I'm not too impressed either, but my Mom loves it.  She drove my Dad nuts showing it to him.

I prefer the microfiber dusting cloths that you can wash and re-use.
Experiment with a chemist!

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 01:09:33 PM »
Quote from: SpookyPistolero
Anyone got tips on how to shave your head?
A headblade looks like the easiest way.

They even have a "sport" model with wheels on the back...

Now back to the magic eraser...  I saw a Magic eraser mop the other day at GardenRidge

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 02:24:06 PM »
golly spooky, thanks for sharing your homemaking skills and this wonderful product review.

I can't believe all the guys here that are into house cleaning.  Wow, or was that 'woose'?

Car Knocker

• friend
Re: Magic Eraser Lovin
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »
I can't believe all the guys here that are into house cleaning.

Somebody's gotta do it.

'Bout 3 or 4 times a year I go through the house with the leaf-blower.  Does a heck of a better job than a Swiffer!  Gotta watch out though - last time I did this, the cat wasn't fast enough and sprained a hip when I rolled 'em halfway 'cross the livin' room.  If ya live in the city, ya gotta do it at night, otherwise the air pollution folks get after ya.  I know all 'bout that.

Now, my next door neighbor, I watch him. 'Bout once a month, he rolls the garbage can (we got those big 90 gallon jobs the garbage truck lifts and dumps) right inta the house, fills 'er up and rolls 'er right out to the curb.  Don't think he's got a leaf-blower, though.
Don