Author Topic: Referendums  (Read 1574 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Referendums
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:40:46 AM »
Is there some resource that will let you know what referendums will be on your state's ballots on Nov. 7th? I know WI is going to have a couple, but I'd like to find out ahead of time exactly what they are and what they are for. I've tried searching the 'Net, but since I rather suck at doing so I couldn't find any information I wanted.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Referendums
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:42:52 AM »
Just watch the TV ads.  They'll tell you what to vote for.   police
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 11:47:44 AM »
Just watch the TV ads.  They'll tell you what to vote for.   police
Oh, you're a lot of help.

That's the problem, TV ads don't tell you anything. The only useful information I've learned from them is that there are going to be a couple of referendums on the ballot.
Andy

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:56:02 AM »
State election board website?

And it is "referenda" not referendums.

We have a couple here, including defining marriage as between one man and one woman, and a city one requiring property tax hikes to be approved by the voters.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »
Of course there is.  Our "good friends" over at DemocraticUnderground.com have compiled such information on their Research forum.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_oet&address=358x776#WI

Using Google with the search term "Wisconsin 2006 election referendum" give back this as one of the results.

http://elections.state.wi.us/category.asp?linkcatid=1747&

I hear ya about searching the 'Net cosine.  Ya know the information is out there, the tricky part is phrasing the search correctly.  ( On Edit: and making sure the spelling is correct  DOH!)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 12:01:07 PM »
http://elections.state.wi.us/category.asp?linkcatid=1747&

I hear ya about searching the 'Net cosine.  Ya know the information is out there, the tricky part is phrasing the search correctly.  ( On Edit: and making sure the spelling is correct  DOH!)
I just found that link. It had all the information I wanted. Thanks Rabbi and Sindawe. (Oh, and thanks for the grammar help too.  smiley)
Andy

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
Google your local election board.

Grammar Nazi Alert! (Or Maybe Grammar Libertine?)
I would make the case for "referendums"  (though not for referen-dumbs).  Were we communicating in latin, referendums is obviously incorrect.  But, given that we are communicating in English, I make the case for using Americanized English grammar.  In our currently-agreed-upon language of commo, "referendums" is good-to-go.

Besides, most dictionaries list both referenda & referendums as the plural of referendum.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=referenda

I would also make the case for using the English name for foreign cities & countries significant enough for us or the English to so name...and pronouncing the names of foreign places using standard English pronunciation rules.  Not even the grand poo-bah of Qatar pronounces his country's name "cutter" when he speaks English, he pronounces it "kuh-tar."

Last, folks with names that originate from tonal languages had best get over the fact that the rest of the world is going to mangle your name in your ears.

OK, I feel better, now.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 12:21:13 PM »
In California everything that is on the ballot is printed in our voter pamplet.  It includes the wording of the propositions, pros and cons, and summeries of the candidates. 

I would think the other states would have something similar.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 12:22:45 PM »
You can make the case that

"I aint been studying that none" is correct English, or that "clips" is the correct term for those little boxes you stick in the bottom of pistols.
But it dont make it so.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 12:43:58 PM »
You can make the case that

"I aint been studying that none" is correct English, or that "clips" is the correct term for those little boxes you stick in the bottom of pistols.
But it dont make it so.

It is at least as correct as the absolute dismissal of ad hoc Latin dictate when contained within an English sentence.

In sum, the application of an overriding English-speaking majority to grammar contained within an English sentence appears to be the mantra.  I don't presume the vast portion of English speakers would agree with your personal argument of bastardized English grammar as an outstanding model for argument.

"Jfruser nailed it."
Zeke

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 04:39:46 PM »
I would make the case for "referendums"  (though not for referen-dumbs).  Were we communicating in latin, referendums is obviously incorrect.  But, given that we are communicating in English, I make the case for using Americanized English grammar.  In our currently-agreed-upon language of commo, "referendums" is good-to-go.

The question isn't of grammar, but orthography.

Personally, I believe precedence counts more than convenience; then again, I don't write in sentence fragments, nor do I spatter hyphens hither, thither, and yon, nor did I throw away my college Latin dictionary.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.