Author Topic: We surround them.  (Read 7455 times)

Bigjake

• friend
We surround them.
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:13:36 PM »
Anyone going to a "We surround them" meet up next Friday?

If you're unaware of what that's all about, here's an explanation:

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/21018/

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: We surround them.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:04:59 PM »
That site doesn't mention the purpose or goal of "We Surround Them."  What's it about?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »
It's something Glenn has up his sleeve to show people that still believe in The Republic, as the Founders intended it, are not alone.

Basically, If you agree with 7 out of his 9 principals, you send him a picture of yourself.  One pic per person who agrees with those thoughts.

He's going to say what it's all about next Friday (3/13), on his Fox show.   Hence the "meetup" question.

I'll be at The Rusty Barrel in Westlake, Ohio for it. I'd encourage any APSers in that neighborhood to show up.  It's sold out, but if you want to come, I'll get ya in.   (we've had over 100 replies, and only 60 odd seats to go around, so we've had to turn some folks away, to other venues)

Meetup map is here: http://wesurroundthemmap.com/

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »
Well, my take, just from the title, basically translates to:

"Let's stop feeding the cities, and see how long they'll last."

Blog under construction

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 08:01:37 PM »
For those who are curious;

Do you watch the direction that America is being taken in and feel powerless to stop it?

Do you believe that your voice isn’t loud enough to be heard above the noise anymore?

Do you read the headlines everyday and feel an empty pit in your stomach…as if you’re completely alone?

If so, then you’ve fallen for the Wizard of Oz lie. While the voices you hear in the distance may sound intimidating, as if they surround us from all sides—the reality is very different. Once you pull the curtain away you realize that there are only a few people pressing the buttons, and their voices are weak. The truth is that they don’t surround us at all.

We surround them.

So, how do we show America what’s really behind the curtain? Below are nine simple principles. If you believe in at least seven of them, then we have something in common. I urge you to read the instructions at the end for how to help make your voice heard.

The Nine Principles

1. America is good.

2. I believe in God and He is the Center of my Life.

3. I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.

4. The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.

5. If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.

6. I have a right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but there is no guarantee of equal results.

7. I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.

8. It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.

9. The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

12 Values

* Honesty
    * Reverence
    * Hope
    * Thrift
    * Humility
    * Charity
    * Sincerity
    * Moderation
    * Hard Work
    * Courage
    * Personal Responsibility
    * Friendship

You Are Not Alone

If you agree with at least seven of those principles, then you are not alone. Please send a digital version of your picture to: wesurroundthem@foxnews.com and then stay tuned to the radio and television shows over the coming weeks to see how we intend to pull back the curtain.

Picture updates...

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
Well, my take, just from the title, basically translates to:

"Let's stop feeding the cities, and see how long they'll last."

While incorrect, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it :evil:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 11:01:49 PM »
Agree with 7 out of 9?  Why bother, when it's much more gratifying to gripe at the two with which we disagree, and belittle those who believe them? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:40:03 PM »
You're saying that just because you live inside the beltway.

Blog under construction

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 12:44:15 AM »
Huh--all this time I thought "irreverence" was an American value.  My bad.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 03:06:50 AM »
The Nine Principles

1. America is good.

2. I believe in God and He is the Center of my Life.

3. I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.

4. The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.

5. If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.

6. I have a right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but there is no guarantee of equal results.

7. I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.

8. It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.

9. The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

I think tha Mr. Beck has much good to say but I don't think he says it well.  The manner in which he has chosen the principles which are vague and those which are specific is very odd to me.

1. America is good.  What does that mean? Does it mean Americans are (generally) good people? Does it mean America has croplands, mountains and coastal areas?  This should be something more like Capitalism is most productive form of economy.

2. Unlike 1, is very specific.  It is not just I believe in (a) God, it is I believe and God and this is my life.

3.  Just odd.  Either you are honest or not.  You cannot be more honest or less honest. 

4.  Again, odd.  It combines the family and the right to decide your own life.  This should be two principles.  I believe my family unit is sacred.  I believe that the government has no authority over my life.

5.  Seems ok.

6.  Good.

7.  Good.

8.  This should be assertive.  Something like It is American for me to disagree with (abusive/incorrect) authority and to share my personal opinion.

9.  This is fine but it bodes of saying "MY TAXES PAY YOUR SALARY SO I AM YOUR BOSS AND I TELL YOU NOT TO GIVE ME A TICKET" to a cop.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 03:10:41 AM »
1. America is good.  What does that mean? Does it mean Americans are (generally) good people? Does it mean America has croplands, mountains and coastal areas?  This should be something more like Capitalism is most productive form of economy.

Indeed. In fact, it's my belief that (current, viewed through a lens of pragmatism) America is actually NOT good, which is why it needs changed.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 09:22:15 AM »
Indeed. In fact, it's my belief that (current, viewed through a lens of pragmatism) America is actually NOT good, which is why it needs changed.
Maybe he means the basic original theory of what "America" means.
I don't like to think of the country we have as really being America...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 10:01:28 AM »

3.  Just odd.  Either you are honest or not.  You cannot be more honest or less honest. 

I guess I think that could be better said.  I read it more along the lines of Christian self improvemnt.  You recognize your own sins and try to better the next day.  The honest/not honest is true for a given event, but when you think about all the ways in which people compromise honesty, it makes more sense to me. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »
9.  This is fine but it bodes of saying "MY TAXES PAY YOUR SALARY SO I AM YOUR BOSS AND I TELL YOU NOT TO GIVE ME A TICKET" to a cop.

Well, it is, at bare minimum, the truth.

I have no lead foot and I really despise excessive speeder types when they go dodging through traffic, but I fail to see why a ticket is warranted on a deserted highway when someone does 100 in a 70 zone.

So what... let them take take their chances.

I did 120 on the straight stretch (the whole way, except for when I slowed down for the two cops facing both directions and talking to each other) from Vegas to AZ because I knew that the only people I could kill was me, my wife, and my unborn son. If my wife minded the speeds I was going I would have been INFORMED TO SLOW DOWN, NOW!

It was a blast and we are all still here.

I don't need a cop to rob me at the side of the highway for disobeying a traffic law I find to be repugnant to common sense.

Hit the butthead doing 120 in a 70 at rush hour. That would be good police work.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 12:28:15 AM »
We pay cops' salaries, because we hire them to, among many other things, ticket speeders.  If you're going to claim responsibility for the money the cop is making, you must also claim responsibility for the laws he's enforcing.  Especially if you ever expect him to help you in any way.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 08:05:41 AM »
Agree with 7 out of 9?  Why bother, when it's much more gratifying to gripe at the two with which we disagree, and belittle those who believe them? 

You're saying that just because you live inside the beltway.

In other words.....WE surround fistful.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 11:36:16 AM »
North Saint Louis County, MO, is the beltway now?  ???

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
#2 is a dealbreaker.  Sorry, Mr. Beck.  G-d has NOTHING to do with the government, nor should he.

I find it interesting how #8 is suddenly a conservative viewpoint in a liberal government, when it was the opposite view in a conservative one.

I will say this; conservatives are MUCH better and hopefully more effective at being the "whiny minority" than liberals were.  It's still just as annoying to watch, either way, no matter whom I agree and disagree with.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »
#2 is a dealbreaker.  Sorry, Mr. Beck.  G-d has NOTHING to do with the government, nor should he.

I find it interesting how #8 is suddenly a conservative viewpoint in a liberal government, when it was the opposite view in a conservative one.

I will say this; conservatives are MUCH better and hopefully more effective at being the "whiny minority" than liberals were.  It's still just as annoying to watch, either way, no matter whom I agree and disagree with.

Had you read the whole thing, you'd see where it's not required to believe in all of them, just seven.

And on #8, there's a marked difference between being Un-American and Anti-American.  The latter being a more leftist trait.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 06:35:19 PM »

You're saying conservatives were, in the past 8 years, of the opinion that it is un-American to disagree with authority or to share one's personal opinion?  That is merely left-wing propaganda.  It's a wonder you could have spent so much time here, and still buy into that.  Conservatives have disapproved of dissent in some cases, but we have never held such a sweeping view as what you claim. 

I don't even know why #2 is in there, but as was stated, Beck is only looking for you to agree with 7 out of 9.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »
Part of the trouble with the last 8 years is that there were not enough Republicans that were actual Conservatives (by today's definition; small government, secure ports and borders, low taxes and less bureaucratic overregulation.) or had any balls to get down and dirty.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 11:29:51 AM »
Is this the Republic or the Boy Scouts?

Maybe Beck needs to read the Bill of Rights again.

Why seven of nine?  Why not focus on the right essential principles in the first place?

There is nothing in the BOR about the family, sacred or otherwise.  It is a tad late to re-build the American Republic on the God-centered nuclear family--unless you live in Utah...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:33:53 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »

Hmmm...

A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the scout law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in those 9 points about being cheerful. Or thrifty. Or clean. Or courteous. Or....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 11:43:31 AM »

Maybe Beck needs to read the Bill of Rights again.

Why seven of nine?  Why not focus on the right essential principles in the first place?

There is nothing in the BOR about the family, sacred or otherwise.  It is a tad late to re-build the American Republic on the God-centered nuclear family--unless you live in Utah...

>.<

Our constitution is the framework of our society. It is not the only basis for it.

In fact, our constitution is reliant upon a people who are a moral people:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”  -John Adams

The constitution is a wonderful document. It is not the final solution- it is merely a means to cause good government to persist.

Many founding fathers were opposed to creating a bill of rights because people may think those are the only important principles and rights, like what you are doing right now. You are confusing what they enumerated politically with what they were relying upon in order to make our country function.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 11:49:52 AM »

Maybe you would prefer the Girl Scouts?....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scouts_of_the_USA

Quote from: Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

Quote from: Girl Scout Promise

I will do my best to be
Honest and fair,
Friendly and helpful,
Considerate and caring,
Courageous and strong, and
Responsible for what I say and do,
And to
respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.

...and they have better cookies....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.