Author Topic: Time travel  (Read 6361 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Time travel
« on: March 03, 2005, 06:20:31 PM »
What time period would you live in, if you could live in any? Let's just say that you would be any social class you wish... no reason to go back to 15th century japan to be a rice farmer!

I'd probably go back to be born in the 30's. Seems like I'm an old fashioned guy anyway, with old fashioned ideas. It'd be nice to fit in somewhere. And I'd like to exist in a time where people loved their country... I'd like to experience that on a group level, as opposed to individual.

How about you?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Duke of Lawnchair

Time travel
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 06:22:21 PM »
I'd go back to '82 and take State.

spinr

Time travel
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 06:26:48 PM »
Going backwards... probably sometime in the mid to late 1700s when America was fighting for independance.

Going forwards... who knows?  I'd really like to know what it'll be like in 50, 100, 200 years.

Wink

woerm

Time travel
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 06:51:21 PM »
Minoian Crete, circa 1500bc
I've always been curious what exactly linear a is/was

Ahh side trip to Egypt to see the pyramids when they were new as well.

Then take a cruise to Thera and visit the admiral's house at Ankotri?

Does this time machine make round trips?

r
"Specialization is for insects."
Robert Heinlein

larry_minn

Time travel
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 07:01:22 PM »
I would be happy to go back to a few dates I have lived.  In the first one I would stick a nail in my car tire.  Another I would set up with my rifle and shoot the worthless POS before he killed a family member.  Actually now that I think of it there are a lot of times it would be nice to be there to stop or at least get person punished.

Wildalaska

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 07:10:31 PM »
Id go back to the Garden of Eden, Eve was hot before she started wearing palm fronds

WildoyeahnomodsAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Time travel
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 07:38:41 PM »
Does Wildalaska reminds anyone else of an exhibitionist at a nude beach?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Skunkabilly

Time travel
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 08:31:17 PM »
Hong Kong in the 1940s with a ghillie suit.
Ninja...vanish....

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

Time travel
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »
Considering how people didn't bathe as often in the past, I'll take the far future.

I want one of those DNA assembly machines like the one that cranked out Milla Jovovich from a single cell in "The 5th Element"
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

wasrjoe

Time travel
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 09:42:48 PM »
I kind of like now.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Old Fud

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 09:59:09 PM »
I was born at the perfect time.

Grew up and enjoyed life in the 50's, when kids roamed as they wanted to with knives in pockets and rifles in the woods.

When I had medical problems in the 70's and 80's, the technology was there to deal with them and the medical insurance programs covered the costs.

When I was in my 30's, I expected to be dead at 68.  Now I have every reason to believe I'll make it into my 90's.

I'm 10 years ahead of the baby boomers -- I might actually GET something out of the Social Security I've paid into all my life.

It doesn't get any better than this, my friends.

Fud.
Change is Bad!

Taurus

Time travel
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 10:57:43 PM »
Ideal birth year 1925; go to war at 18 firing the Garand and 45 sidearm; get a few Germans; the war's over in '45; I survive to return home safely with most of my brothers in the trench; go to work on the railroad; get married and have eight children (4 boys, 4 girls); retire from the railroad in '76 with a fat pension; write a book about my time during the war; and live to the ripe old age of 100. Hey, I'm still alive with 20 years left.
J. D. White

Schuey2002

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 11:10:06 PM »
Any year before the '86 Machine Gun Ban (Act or whatever they call it?) went into affect. MP5's for just pennies on the dollar..  :shock:

Greg L

Time travel
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 02:09:49 AM »
The problem with going back more than a few generations is that we couldn't handle it physically (for the most part).  Unless you've been living a similar life now could you walk everywhere you wanted to go?  Work in the fields all day or chop by hand enough wood to get through the winter?  Disease was running rampant & really no decent medical care (your immune system is way down as well thanks to modern medicine).  

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be interesting but it would be tough to survive.  You wouldn't have the instinctual reactions that you learn by growing up in a society.  If you brought someone from the 1700's here I seriously doubt if he would glance to the left before stepping off the curb.  Little things like that that you do without thinking of them keep you alive here but you don't know what you need to know back then.

It would be fun though (with the knowledge that I have now) to go back to the early 80's & go through high school again.  I could have avoided a lot of the silly games that went on.  I could have picked up a TON of pre 86 weapons Cheesy .  And most of all I would have bought a bunch of Apple, Microsoft & Wal Mart stock so that the me of today could be sitting on a beach somewhere with my cellular hookup on my laptop chatting with you guys about this instead of looking at the dogs breaking the ice on the pond Cheesy .

TarpleyG

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 06:09:06 AM »
I could have picked up a TON of pre 86 weapons Cheesy

I could have picked up a TON of pre 86 women Cheesy

Greg

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 06:41:38 AM »
I have to agree with Winston Smith.  1930's, 1940's are my favorite era.  The music I listen to, the clothes I wear and how I wear my hair.  Folks had manners, they cared about how the looked and they knew how to dance!  I would like to see life here on Mare Island then when it was in its military heyday.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Time travel
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »
Born in 1910 +/- with enough money to be fed and avoid disease.  Put my family $ in the right places and make money off the stock market crash.  Maybe do a hitch in the Corps during the crash to get some Banana Republic fighting and weapon experience and see the world.

Be in my 20's in the '30's to travel the earth and have adventures.  Modern civ and medicine in Western enclaves but still a whole lot of "red in tooth and claw" world to test oneself in.

The aforementioned development of Jazz and Swing (flirt that skirt baby), good lookin' suits, hats, smoke's not bad for you ( Wink ) full auto's in stores....

Reenlist as an officer and fight the Japs in the Pacific, pick up a Navy Cross along the way.

Move to LA on the way home, marry a budding pneumatic starlet and build a real estate and water empire.

Die in bed surrounded by grandchildren sometime this decade.

Good times....
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

doczinn

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 10:11:18 PM »
Resurrecting this one, just for the hell of it.

I think I'd go back to the 30's, 40's, or 50's and be a hard-boiled Mike Hammer type.
D. R. ZINN

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Time travel
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 01:21:04 AM »
Well, when my first wife and I were going on our first date she was over an hour late in meeting me. By the time she showed up I had struck up a nice conversation with this really cute blonde I met there at the bar. When the future ex showed up I foolishly let her push the blonde away. I want to go back to then and chase HER away and stick with the blonde instead. Would that be OK?  Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 03:09:01 AM »
I want to pop back to the late 1950's, as the Beats are in full swing.  So many movements and cultural icons beginning, and having the chance to meet and influence them.  I'd try to keep Hendrix off heroin, etc, start up the Betty Ford-style of drug rehab.  While I don't think I could prevent the Vietnam war,  I'd certainly divert the hostility aimed at returning soldiers toward where it rightly belonged, at the leadership.

As for money, there were a lot of artists and musicians who could've used near-prescient managing, right?  Wink  Also, I'd quietly start removing silver coinage out of circulation and into storage, and start buying $35 an ounce gold as soon as it became legal to do so.  I'd buy stock in Honda and Toyota.  I'd go for Soros-level wealth, but with libertarian goals instead.  Try to mitigate and reshape the '70s.

Yeah, a few modest ideas.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

stevelyn

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 03:30:33 AM »
1982 and decide not to get married or have kids.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Time travel
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 06:51:27 AM »
Assuming I could be trasported and have the requisite physical conditioning and skills then I'd go back to Japan, circa 1550 or so. Samurai warrior on a track to attaining Daimyo status.

I probably wouldn't last past my first battle - still that is the one period in world history that I am for some reason not fully understood by myself drawn to.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Time travel
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 07:04:35 AM »
I'd like to have been born in the late 1890's on an Iowan farm, fight the Germans in WWI, come back and farm a quarter section hopefully own a half section by the end of WWII. Die in the 1970's. Hopefully be smart enough not to loose the farm in the depression. I just think people in this time appreciated life a lot better with less than people do now with more.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Time travel
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »
No one time in particular. Someone mentioned feudal Japan that would be neat for a little while. Maybe early United States, around the time the Constitution was being crafted. Be nice to have some intellectual discussions with Thomas Jefferson and others.

If I had to choose only one series of 4 decades other than the four I have been here, it would be the ones immediately preceeding the current ones. 30's through 70's.
Men dressed in sharp suits and nice hats.
Fountain pens.
Cars that had style and grace.
Women that were the same way. Wink
Cuba before the revolution.
The new release at the theater is Casablanca (instead of Brokeback Mountain)

wmenorr67

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 08:29:14 AM »
I would go back to the day the 2nd Amendment was being written and make sure the BS about milita's was removed.  I would make sure it was written so everyone understood it was an individual right; THEN, NOW and IN THE FUTURE! Cheesy
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!