Author Topic: Time travel  (Read 6360 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Time travel
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 09:36:15 AM »
Two years before the Hunt Bros shot silver up to $50 an ounce.

I'd go back to '82 and take State.
Okay, that was freakin' hilarious Rico. Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

client32

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 11:02:18 AM »
Quote from: wmenorr67
I would go back to the day the 2nd Amendment was being written and make sure the BS about milita's was removed.  I would make sure it was written so everyone understood it was an individual right; THEN, NOW and IN THE FUTURE! Cheesy
While you are at it, could you have them state something like all terms used in this document will use definitions from the _______ dictionary.  I don't even know if there was a dictionary then, but it may help clear up a few things.  I don't think our founding fathers thought that we would need so many legal statements.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

grampster

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »
Early 1700's so I could see what America looked like then.  As long as we're dreaming, I would like a pocket sized time machine that would be able to move me about so I wouldn't have to walk clear across the continent.  Decent footwear and arms as well.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
Time travel
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2006, 02:19:43 PM »
Quote from: grampster
As long as we're dreaming, I would like a pocket sized time machine that would be able to move me about so I wouldn't have to walk clear across the continent.
What, a Time/Space Machine?!? Now you're just being unrealistic... Tongue

FWIW, I would have liked to have flown on the Graf Zeppelin to some exotic destination in the 30s. Inter-continental air travel in a flying Bavarian hotel; chatting to Lady Grace Drummond-Hay; quizzing Dr Hugo Eckener at length about airship design. All travelling at 70 MPH, just 1,500 ft above sea level... I would have liked to have done the same on the Hindenburg (Sometime before 6th of May 1937, obviously), but for me the interior in photographs just looks too modernist. Graf Zeppelin was much more stylish...

Imagine looking up at the Hindenburg in flight, though -- an airship just 78 ft shorter than the Titanic -- and it floats in air! In this day and age, none of us are going to see anything remotely like it. In fact, I can't even conceive of anything that size actually flying -- it just seems crazy...

Ron

Time travel
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2006, 02:50:39 PM »
I would like a pocket sized time machine that would be able to move me about so I wouldn't have to walk clear across the continent.
I always wnted the one that looked like a British Police box and was called  T.A.R.D.I.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardis

grampster

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2006, 05:25:27 PM »
Ah yes, GoRon, Dr. Who.  But don't forget technology has advanced since the '70's so the pocket model that I lust after must be available now.  Better yet, one that I can wear on my wrist with a titanium band so that I can't lose it.  I think a phaser of the Star Trek variety would be the proper arm to carry, solar charged of course,or cold fusion of some sort involving an H2O converter.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Antibubba

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 03:13:15 AM »
If I can take an armload of books with me, I'd go and have some very long talks with Karl Marx.  Nip that thing before it starts.

Then pop ahead a little and become an art patron-to Adolf Hitler.  He was a failed painter, you know.  If someone had only bought his stuff...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Time travel
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 06:10:16 AM »
Can I bring my dentist?

doczinn

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 06:23:54 AM »
I've always wanted to take a .45 back in time and become king of Europe.
D. R. ZINN

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Time travel
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 07:21:05 AM »
10^100 years in the future. I'd like to be the most powerful thing in the Universe, and see who's hanging out in the positronium.

Or 10^-34 seconds after the Big Bang, as long as I could be one of the folks who could exist there. I might tag the cosmic microwave background.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Daniel964

• friend
Time travel
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 12:47:37 PM »
For those who mentioned changing their own past may I recommend a Science Fiction book titled "Replay". I'll try to put a link here to Amazon for it. I read it several times years ago and found it very good reading.

Daniel

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068816112X/qid=1147210583/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0682642-7659102?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

w turner

To all married people, please help out a fellow APS member....
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »
I started a thread about a month ago asking for people who would be willing to participate in a research study I was doing for one of my graduate classes.  I was unable to get approval for my original idea which was relating gun ownership to aggression (hoping to find a low correlation). 

I decided instead to do a study on marital problem solving and gender. 

If you are willing to participate, please email me at williamht77@hotmail.com so that I can email the survey instrument to you.  It will be in Word format and is right at two pages long. 

There will be a different email address set up to return the completed surveys to.  Confidentiality will be strictly maintained and I will be the only person scoring the surveys.  The survey instrument itself does not ask for any identifying information outside of gender.   

Unfortunately I can't offer any monetary compensation, but you would earn my thanks and gratitude for a taking a few minutes out of your day to help me out. 

Thank you everyone

W

To the mods: If this is inappropriate in any way, please let me know so I can remove it. 

I am a longtime member at THR, TFL, under the same username and at GlockTalk under the username "Bull68". 

EDIT:  Changed the email address from my work email to my personal.  I am going to be off work to make some progress on this project all next week.  Thanks again to everyone who has already responded and to those who are going to. 

Polishrifleman

• friend
Re: To all married people, please help out a fellow APS member....
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 08:31:36 AM »
Do both spouses have to participate in the survey or is it just for a married person?

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2006, 08:32:04 AM »
I'll do it.

w turner

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2006, 08:56:58 AM »
Both can take it individually or just one spouse can take it.  It doesn't matter, although both doing it would help me get the minmum # of responses faster.

W

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2006, 10:49:22 AM »
I'm in.  Email sent.
One day at a time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2006, 10:59:55 AM »
The government needs to rally its people to fight a "war" against global warming much the way it mobilized for World War II, a leading member of the Labour Party has said.
To me this is just an obvious example of some of these people's true goal.  They don't want solutions, they want the economy suspended and a directed/managed economy to be installed to control use of products.  Not for the welfare of the people, but for the vaguely defined welfare of the planet.  Who gets to decide how that works?  Why they will of course.  Trust them, they know better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2006, 11:05:44 AM »
My wife and I solved our marital problems.

We got divorced.

May not be what you're looking for. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TaxPhd

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2006, 11:40:43 AM »
Does the survey currently have IRB approval?
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2006, 11:57:54 AM »
TaxPhd:

But what happens when some participants ask if IACUC approval is also required? cheesy
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TaxPhd

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 05:54:25 AM »
But what happens when some participants ask if IACUC approval is also required?

grin

I think that would be appropriate, given some of the members . . .
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 06:22:31 AM »
Everyone:

Sorry for the Research Administration threadjack.

TaxPhd:

My wife is an IACUC Manager, so she has special insight... grin
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

w turner

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2006, 12:37:37 PM »
BUMP

brennankg

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2006, 02:53:11 PM »
email sent

B.

w turner

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2006, 11:31:47 AM »
BUMP