Author Topic: Engineer boots  (Read 7325 times)

TMM

• friend
Engineer boots
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:23:41 AM »
Hey all:

My current boots have developed a big, deep crack in the outsole, and it's approaching time for new ones. I've been wanting engineer boots for a while, and this could be my chance. I'm looking at either Georgia Boot or Carolina engineer's, in 12"[since they're cheapest, about $100]. anybody have any suggestions/etc that i should know, like break-in period or somthing? [i've heard for wesern boots, they should be bought slightly tight and uncomfortable, then as they're worn they stretch just right, for example] there's nothing i hate more in a boot or shoe than a slipping heel.

thanks,

~tmm

Car Knocker

• friend
Re: Engineer boots
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:42:50 PM »
Slightly off-topic: Why are they called engineer boots?
Don

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 07:21:54 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer_boots

As in all footwear I would recommend not using "cheapest" as a major criteria.  You'll get the price back in spades if you pay a bit more for quality and durability.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 09:17:59 AM »
Buy the best, and cry once. Otherwise you're gonna be spending $100 every year or so. Instead of every 10...

Plus, with a good pair of boots, you can RESOLE them multiple times. Vibram rules.

Blog under construction

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:48:06 AM »
Carebear,

The Wiki article doesn't address the genesis of the term.
Don

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:16:16 PM »
From the wiki article:

In the 1960s, Sears carried the Sears branded Chippewa Engineers and showed them as worn by land surveyors, a possibility as of how the name came about.

I always wondered why they had that name as well.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:31:59 PM »
Obviously my reading comprehension isn't what it should be!
Don

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 02:17:01 PM »
I thought you were talking about steel toed work boots.  I am an engineer and I don't wear anything like that.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 03:42:37 PM »
Well, I've no complaints about the quality or durability of Carolina's Engineer boots.  I have owned two pair over the past 15 years, and the oldest are still in service for daily rides and general walking about in foul weather.  I only purchased the newer pair for use on more formal occasions, since the elder boots were well broken in and showed the badges of long faithful use.

Hmmm...I'd always thought the name came from association with linemen who worked on power lines.  Silly me...
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 05:42:45 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 03:01:55 AM »
http://www.boot.com/index.html
big black boots dot com

engineer boot history:
http://www.classicboots.com/engineer/index.htm

yowzers:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TMM

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 04:51:59 AM »
Well, FWIW, the reason i've heard for them being called engineer boots is that train engineers were the first to wear them.

I do understand the "buy quality and cry once" mentality, but $100 is not a cheap price, but not steep either. I'm leaning towards Carolina's[plain toe], because i know they're good, and not an off-make.

thanks for the links and such thusfar.

~tmm

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 01:29:13 PM »
Don't those get hot as hades?  It seems like chaps or heavy pants would be a more reasonable solution to warding off thorns and such. 

TMM

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 12:19:30 PM »
well, i'm not wearing them to ward off thorns as such. i plan on wearing them because i don't like walking around in bare feet.

~tmm

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 03:23:20 PM »
but $100 is not a cheap price

$100 is not cheap but is pretty much the minimum bottom line price you'll find on a pair of leather work boots, and you'd be very lucky to find a pair of boots that fit you well and last for more than 6 months of hard use at that price. $200-300 spent on a quality pair of boots will pay for itself in the long run.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 03:59:44 PM »
well, i'm not wearing them to ward off thorns as such. i plan on wearing them because i don't like walking around in bare feet.

~tmm

sissy  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Chuck Dye

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 08:25:26 PM »
Harrunph!

Look like tarted up wellingtons to me!

For years I lived in Redwing wellingtons.  The uppers generally lasted through 6-8 heel replacements and 4-5 resolings.  Take a look at

http://www.redwingshoe.com/ProductResults.aspx?shoefinder=1&ProductType=&SubType=Pull%20On&Gender=Mens&Style=

Ill add a couple bits of advice: 

First, even with the arch strap you will not get any great support from a pull-on.  I stopped wearing them when, jumped by a drunken party crasher and trying to prevent the both of us from going over the edge of third story patio, I twisted my foot.  The orthopedist who treated me threatened prophylactic amputation if I did not switch to lace-ups.

Second, for daily wear it will pay to buy two pairs and alternate them.  The drying afforded by the days off will make the uppers last more than twice as long as one pair worn every day.

Ill add a couple bits of advice: 

First, even with the arch strap you will not get any great support from a pull-on.  I stopped wearing them when, jumped by a drunken party crasher and trying to prevent the both of us from going over the edge of third story patio, I twisted my foot.  The orthopedist who treated me threatened prophylactic amputation if I did not switch to lace-ups.

Second, for daily wear it will pay to buy two pairs and alternate them.  The drying afforded by the days off will make both pairs last more than twice as long as one pair worn every day.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 10:47:59 PM »

~tmm

Why would you wear such a high boot just to have something on your feet?

Chuck Dye

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 08:58:02 AM »
Cosmoline,

Take a look at the various links that have been posted.  Most engineer boots run from 8 to 12 inches high.  Those leather hip boots are far more outlandish absurdities than representative of the breed.  grin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 09:39:11 AM »
the 10 league engineer boots are for Motorcycling

or for dressing up like Buffalo Bill:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TMM

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 11:08:50 AM »
Brimic: true, but $100 is not the MSRP, and i also don't plan on using these for heavy work. also, my current pair of work boots, Wolverine lacers with a steel toe and rubber toecap, metguard, 8" shaft - they cost $102.00 and have taken me to hell and back. they're about a year old and barely show wear.

huck Phinn: by support, what do you mean? arch support? or, perhaps ankle support, as evidenced by your story? even so, they're atleast not any worse than sneakers.

now, i would buy two pairs, but i can't afford it, [well, i could, but i'm a cheapskate]. my current boots are doing fine except for the crack in the sole. i do have another pair that i could wear but they need some kinda heel spacer.

~tmm

Chuck Dye

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »
TMM,

My injury was in large part due to the failure of my boot to keep my foot in one place within the boot under the stresses of the fight, the extra 165 pounds on my back, the extra XXX pounds contained within my own hide, and some structural features of the patio I was on.  The orthopedist assured me that lace-ups probably would have prevented the injury, certainly would have reduced it greatly.  Ankle support was just one part of the problem.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 02:37:55 PM »
Get on the 'bay and do a search for "corcoran" or "jump boot."

Blog under construction

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 03:14:10 PM »
If you have access to a military buddy you can get the jump boots from Corcoran right cheap from a BX/PX.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 07:37:10 PM »
I think the Corcoran jump boots are running 99.95 at the BX now.

You can also try here:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/come9detanfl.html

bob