Author Topic: what makes  (Read 3019 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

what makes
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:48:49 PM »
some folks cop haters?  i've had a colorful past  and more than a few proffesional encounters with cops and still am amazed by the virulence of some folks attitudes. and often it relates to some trivial percieved injustice. what incident made you a hater if you are one  or any other opinions.

Re: what makes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »
Usually IMO it's an illogical hatred of any type of authority.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 04:40:37 PM »
Here's the Cliff's Notes version of my dad's attitude:  He robbed a bank 20 years ago.  He got caught.  Though he's been free for a while and is now a law-abiding citizen, he hates cops, feds, all types of law enforcement.  Period.  I've stopped discussing the issue with him.

Personally, I've had mixed experiences.  About half of them have been positive.  Some LEOs I've met have been perfect gentlemen. Some of them have been egotistical, condescending jerks, despite me being on the right side of the law in those encounters.

However, I make individual judgments, and would never condemn the entire LE profession on account of a few unprofessional pricks.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
declaration day

i've had a ton of arrests in my stupid youth. and found cops about the same as regular folks as far as good guys bad guys. and at least there are real contraints on them. I have a friend who was a cop once  he hates em. He ran amuck last year threatened 2 deputys with a knife after slashing himself and they were kind enough not to shoot him and disarmed him at some great risk(hes trained and really hyper fast)
Art is totally unappreciative of what they did. Hard to figure. I know guys who got popped for dunb stuff can't seem to see their fault  its always cops picking on them   all 36 times

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 03:46:10 AM »
Some of them have been egotistical, condescending jerks, despite me being on the right side of the law
Nail hit on head....seems like more and more police officers are this way.  They take the stance that anyone they encounter is doing something that he (the police officer) thinks that they should not be doing.  What ever happened to the good ol' days of community policing where the officers are active in the communities?  I have a friend in Miami that is in a program like this and he says it really seems to work and he doesn't have to go around all day trying to act tough and be a dick.

Greg

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 04:17:01 AM »
Chalk me up has not a big fan of cops.  I've met many that are pricks.  Condesending pricks.  I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but in general, even when I've been on the "right side of the law", I've not had alot of positive encounters with the po-po.
Some see thier authority as absolute, and say things like "he's uncooperative" when someone exercises thier rights.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 05:29:37 AM »
I guess I led a sheltered life and was really never on the wrong side of the law.  I have never even been arrested though I have once or twice dones things that warranted it.  I have never had a negative experience with police.  It helps that I don't argue with them or say much of anything when I get stopped for traffic issues.  I have never gotten a ticket while carrying a gun with my CHL. 

I can certainly understand where some people are coming from, but I think a lot of posters I see are somewhat irrational due to personal history.  I have seen some posts by supposed law enforcement officers that were pretty bad.  One post a year or more ago linked to an LEO only sight with a lot of Northeastern cops.  The arrogance and condensention toward normal people was pretty thick with a number of them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 05:54:49 AM »
Ever watch the shucking and jiving and "I didn't do nuthin'!" on the TV show COPS?

If you had to deal with liars on almost every traffic stop, or had to worry about being shot over trivial stuff, what would your attitude be?

If you had to deal with the bureaucratic red tape in order to do any sort of decent quality of work, how would you feel toward a lot of the "establishment", knowing the citizenry had made it so by their outcries to the elected twirps?

Me, I'm amazed we have as good a quality of folks as LEOs as we do have.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 06:28:45 AM »
What makes some folks cop haters?
The police represent the power of the state. Some are not comfortable with the way that power is exercised and that translates into discomfort, suspicion and even hate directed towards the state's enforcers.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 07:35:23 AM »
I don't hate cops as individuals (well, most of them anyway) but I do hate the whole "law enforcement" system that in general prohibits the public from defending themselves and their property, while doing little or nothing to actually protect people. 

Criminals should love the cops, as they maintain a safe working environment for burglars, robbers, and rapists.  OTOH, cops depend on the existence of criminals for job security.   laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 09:03:30 AM »
One thing you have to realize is that most cops go into police work because they want to help people. Once they get some experience under their belts they find out that most of the general public treat then like pieces of doo dooin regards to things like traffic violations and the like. Then on top of that they get to deal with the true dregs of society on a regular basis as well and do get used to being lied to as a rule. It tends to jade some of them after a while. Or I should maybe say some more than others. A prime example I can't think of was the time I met with a bunch of local animal control officers at an animal fighting seminar. Most of them were gorgeous 20 - 30 something YO females who had gotten into animal control because they love animals. Then they begin to witness how cruel and inhuman some people can be towards animals and let me tell you, these girls turn into some serious hard cases in a very short amount of time. So I suggest, next time you deal with the police try being polite and respectful to them. try treating them like you would any other human being and chances are you'll be treated the same in return.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 11:12:16 AM »
Hate cops?  No.

Distrust 'em until they demonstrate that they are worthy of that trust?  Youbetcha!

Werewolf's words state plainly the root of that mistrust.
The police represent the power of the state. Some are not comfortable with the way that power is exercised and that translates into discomfort, suspicion and even hate directed towards the state's enforcers.

My encounters with the cops over the years have been mostly posative, with only a few real cloacas.   Maybe I've been fortunate in that, but I hope not.

Me, I'm amazed we have as good a quality of folks as LEOs as we do have.
Eh, just using my own experience and from watching COPS, it say its a mixed bag with most cops being decent folk and a salting of those who should be in another line of work.  Two examples from COPS have stuck with me over the years.

Good: Older officer in some sort of situation.  Mass hysteria from both cops and not-cops, lots of yelling and screaming.  This guy maintains a calm demeanor throughout, never raising his voice and being an island of reason in a sea of chaos.  He eventually get everyone calmed down and get the situation resolved to the satisfaction of all.  Footage of his work should be manditory viewing for all new recruits as an example of what the goal is when interacting with the populace.

Bad: Younger officer is speaking about how the Latino community views the police and how the cops are always harrasing them because they are Hispanic.  The officer counters that "..they are not being arrested under the pretense that they are Hispanic.  We are arresting them under the pretense that they are breaking the law."

: scrutiny :

A prime example I can't think of was the time I met with a bunch of local animal control officers at an animal fighting seminar. Most of them were gorgeous 20 - 30 something YO females who had gotten into animal control because they love animals. Then they begin to witness how cruel and inhuman some people can be towards animals and let me tell you, these girls turn into some serious hard cases in a very short amount of time.
That I can totally understand.  I could never do that job, I'd end up shooting one of those creatures who abuse/neglect the animals in their care.  Or else I'd let him spend some "quality time" with the animal, as I would have for the guy in TX who kept asian bears and tigers in 6' x 8' x 5' cages for years, neglecting the animals health and comfort.  One arthritic bear had teeth so rotted the Vet could pull them out with minor effort.

Today, the role of "Cat Toy" in the Bengal Tiger enclosure will be played by Mr. Former Owner.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 01:38:58 PM »
I'm like Sindawe on the matter.  I don't hate cops, but I have a general distrust of them.

I've had encounters with good cops and bad cops.  I've always shown them the utmost respect, but it didn't necessarily result in professional conduct, much less polite treatment.  I hate to say this, but most of the people I knew in high school that became cops were not well-liked - mainly because they were a-holes.  It didn't take long to recognize some kind of pattern - chip on shoulder, complete lack of social skills, seeks authority - next thing you know they're wearing a badge.  Some were true menaces to society and I don't think that changed when they put on the uniform.  Having said that, I've known a few others that were really nice, competent guys who made great police officers.

I think what makes a lot of people hate the police is the fact that they only have a few encounters with cops in their lifetimes, and there is a reasonably good chance that they were treated like crap on one of those occasions.  Most people don't remember being treated the way they should be treated, but they don't forget being treated poorly.
For entertainment purposes only.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 02:06:38 PM »
I think hate is hate. It doesn't matter whether it's racial, religious, or professional. Some people are just motivated by it.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 03:02:35 PM »
I think hate is hate. It doesn't matter whether it's racial, religious, or professional. Some people are just motivated by it.

And I for one hate that!
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 03:16:51 PM »
1st reason.

I really do think a lot of it comes from the (apparent) requirement that no matter the situation, dominance must be acquired and maintained.

That makes sense in a situation where violence is present or actively, patently in the offing.  It often seems though that "officer survival" is used as a blanket justification to aggressively assert dominance on routine police/citizen interactions.

When the citizen, who absolutely knows (though, yes, the officer can't be sure) that he is no threat is treated like one, it is indefensible and unjustifiable in his mind.  Coupled with out and out misstatements of fact or curbside moralizing on the part of officers who may or may not actually know more than the citizen on any given subject and it can get downright insulting as well.  A negative viewpoint is almost certain in those circumstances.

A balance needs to be maintained, even at some potential increased risk to the officer.  He chose his profession after all, all I did was drive 5 miles over and was polite when he walked up.

The bad apples, though admittedly few, have done a lot to spoil the barrel lately.

2nd reason.

Horrible law put in place by legislators who don't seem to actually reflect their constituents (the non-voting ones complain loudest).  Unfortunately, it isn't Senator Dimbulb who comes and arrests my neighbor for one joint.  The PD gets that honor.  They are in fact doing their job properly and lawfully but they get the blame for how stupid it is.  That is unfair.

3rd reason.

They didn't write the law but going back to #1.  It's one flipping joint.  Walk up and take the guy by the elbow as he walks to his car in the morning.  Go to his office and politely ask to see him without making a big deal about being "the police".  Don't bring in the 82nd Airborne in the middle of the night on the off chance he might resist.  Weigh your threats on some sort of rational scale, not "better safe than sorry/ P = plenty in all things".  We're not at war with our own people. 
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 09:57:54 PM »
I am/was a hater, trying to get over it. Got treated like the enemy so many times until I became one.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Zed

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 11:13:16 PM »
Lived in the UK for 10 years, as a result of which I Lost all the respect I once had for Police, I don't hate police or other LE, I just don't trust them much, I respect my local PD though as I have so-far found them to be professional, cautious, polite, and reasonable, but I am not 100% certain about them yet.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
It's the American way!

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »
It's the American way!
Considering the nature of the folks who colonized and emigrated to the USA a distrust/dislike of authority is truly the American Way. Hopefully that attitude has not been diluted to the point where the american people will happily give up their freedom to that authority as those in Europe appear to have done.

Fight Me Online

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 04:00:09 PM »
Hopefully that attitude has not been diluted to the point where the american people will happily give up their freedom to that authority as those in Europe appear to have done.
Where have you been the past seventy years?

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 05:57:39 PM »
Hopefully that attitude has not been diluted to the point where the american people will happily give up their freedom to that authority as those in Europe appear to have done.
Where have you been the past seventy years?

Hmmmm... I'm not sure a more ambiguous question could have been asked so I'll just ask straight out:

Are you saying that it is too late and the spirit of individualism and responsibility for self while desiring a minimimum of interference from government is little more than water now?

OR

Are you saying that the spirit exists and there is still hope for the USA in the long run?

Fight Me Online

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 08:30:05 PM »
I think that Cordex was saying that we've been eagerly forking over various freedoms to our supposed governmental betters for many a decade now, but that we're just a little behind the europeans in so doing. I think cordex was insinuating that your line was a bit naive.

~GnSx

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 04:15:01 AM »
I think that Cordex was saying that we've been eagerly forking over various freedoms to our supposed governmental betters for many a decade now, but that we're just a little behind the europeans in so doing. I think cordex was insinuating that your line was a bit naive.

~GnSx
That's pretty much what I thought too but not being a mind reader I had to ask.

Re: Naivety. Maybe but I thing their is still a streak of the original pioneer spirit in enough Americans that there is still some hope for us. That streak is getting smaller and smaller though and eventually the mass of sheople will reach a point that no amount of spirit will be able to overcome the attitude that safety is preferrable to freedom.

Fight Me Online

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 04:23:18 AM »
Are you saying that it is too late and the spirit of individualism and responsibility for self while desiring a minimimum of interference from government is little more than water now?

OR

Are you saying that the spirit exists and there is still hope for the USA in the long run?
I'm not saying that the spirit doesn't exist anywhere in the US, but it has been many, many years since Americans started happily giving up freedom for security.

A tendency towards trust or distrust of authority isn't necessarily a bad thing.  The problem is blind trust or distrust.