Author Topic: Workplace Suicide  (Read 2146 times)

peteinct

• friend
Workplace Suicide
« on: November 20, 2006, 08:49:53 AM »
 A worker at my plant hung himself yesterday while he was at work. Another worker found him, cut him down and along with another supervisor tried to revive him to no avail.

It's just weird, unbelieveable like it was a movie. The whole place, myself included are in shock. The guy has a wife and kids. What a tragedy.

He had his issues but no one realized he was in that state. That's a sad part for me that a man was in that much pain and we weren't able to help him.

pete

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Re: Workplace Suicide
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 08:53:48 AM »
That is how it is with most suicides (not knowing that he was in "that state").  The warning signs are subtle and few and far inbetween (for those who truely wish to commit.)  Suicide is a very sad act, it doesn't solve problems just hurts more people.  His family will need support in this hard time. 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:19:34 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear that pete. I don't know what else to say. Give me a yell if there's anything I can do.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 12:14:02 PM »
"Suicide is a very sad act, it doesn't solve problems just hurts more people"

This is a thought process that I never understood- no offense.

It did, in fact solve his problems for him.  Maybe not for everyone else, but for him, his problems are no longer...

If he felt that alone, maybe he needed his problems to be solved.  Maybe he felt like no one cared about him.  He solved his problems for himself, relying (presumabely) on the only person he could rely on.  He did, in fact, suceed in solving his problems for himself.

Think about it for a minute- His sufering has, in fact, ended.

Now you can berate me.

M
One day at a time.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »
Very sorry to hear that, Pete. 

I don't want to berate anybody or take things off-topic, but I'd like to counter ex-ma-hole's point of view.  Hopefully, it doesn't need to go any further than this exchange.  ex-ma-hole's comments assume that the deceased will have no problems after he has physically died.  One of two beliefs would appear to be at work here: that there is no afterlife or that the deceased is bound for a pleasant afterlife, devoid of suffering.  Another possibility was that he had lived a good life and will be reincarnated into a better life.  On the other hand, he could be bound for an unpleasant afterlife or next life.  In that case, he has solved nothing at all. 

More fundamentally, it suggests that "solving" a problem just from one deceased person's point of view is the same as solving it objectively. 

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 12:52:19 PM »
"Suicide is a very sad act, it doesn't solve problems just hurts more people"

This is a thought process that I never understood- no offense.

It did, in fact solve his problems for him.  Maybe not for everyone else, but for him, his problems are no longer...

If he felt that alone, maybe he needed his problems to be solved.  Maybe he felt like no one cared about him.  He solved his problems for himself, relying (presumabely) on the only person he could rely on.  He did, in fact, suceed in solving his problems for himself.

Think about it for a minute- His sufering has, in fact, ended.

Now you can berate me.

M

I may have phrased it wrong but statistically speaking every suicide effects 5 (I have to look that up it may be low possibly 9) other people.  Last semester I took a course on suicide it really opened my eyes and taught me alot. 

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 01:33:45 PM »
Suicide is a VERY permanent solution, to a very TEMPORARY set of circumstances.
It is the ultimate act of selfishness.

However: If I am old, sick and imminently terminal, and destined to suffer my way into the grave, there comes a point when it is more merciful for all for me to go than to stay.

YMMV

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »
It is the ultimate act of selfishness.
Agreed.  Suicide is never a solution to emotional problems.  It may solve that man's problems for himself, but it puts all of those around him, particularly his family, in a worse situation than he was himself.

But I also agree that it is a viable solution to exceptionally severe physical problems.  I would much prefer a quick, painless death to a long, agonizing illness with no hope of recovery.  IMO, dignity and comfort are far more important than time in that sort of situation.

Still, it's a terribly sad event.  I'll say a few words for that man's family.  I certainly hope the fellows who found him are alright as well.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 12:59:38 AM »
Peteinct-

After my post last evening-

I realized that I also never did acknowledge your post-

I can't even imagine what y'all are going through-

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and his family.

M
One day at a time.

onions!

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 05:36:03 AM »
The fella sitting next to me right now is affiliated w/this group.
http://www.survivorsofsuicide.com/
There are support groups all over the place.
My co-workers son(same age as me) ate a .22,while intoxicated,after his GF dumped him.
Left two kids.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 12:19:39 PM »
 Thanks for your replies. I guess that life isn't as planned as you think it is and something can knock you off the track you had planned pretty quickly. I came home hugged my wife an extra time and gave the dog an extra good pet and scratch. Nothing spells normal to me more than dog hair and licks.

pete

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
just points out how much suicide is the ultimate "its all about me" thing.  The folks that do that could at least go off into the woods or something, so everyone around them does not have to be included.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 03:48:21 PM »
just points out how much suicide is the ultimate "its all about me" thing.  The folks that do that could at least go off into the woods or something, so everyone around them does not have to be included.

It's amazing how many people chose to commit suicide by standing in front of a train.  Nothing puts a damper on your day like crawling around under locomotives and freight cars collecting body parts.
Don

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 04:12:10 PM »
I would say the same thing about suicides I have heard about at gun ranges.

Suicide solves nothing.  It is just a selfish escape that dumps your problems on those around you. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 02:09:03 AM »
Sorry about your upset, Pete. Did you know the man well?

Suicide is, in most cases, the ultimate act of selfishness. Think about the loved ones left behind with the knowledge that they were not smart enough, or strong enough, or loving enough, to assist with the anguish of the deceased. Rightly or wrongly, they'll carry guilt over that for the rest of their lives. I could never do that to my wife and kids.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 04:46:01 AM »
I could never do that to my wife and kids.
+1
Avoid cliches like the plague!

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 02:42:46 PM »
I guess I didn't know him well because I didn't see this coming. He trained me on my job and we were on the same crew back when I started 18 years ago. Our dept. has been pretty tight not a lot of turnover or new faces coming in. It's just odd like a novel or a movie.

pete