Author Topic: Recommend Me Some Good Cubans  (Read 2073 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Recommend Me Some Good Cubans
« on: November 21, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
Not the crepe rollers, the cigars....

Going to a place next week where I'm told I'll have a good selection. I'm a wimpy mild cigar kinda guy, so something similar to a Hoyo Excalibur.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Recommend Me Some Good Cubans
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:34:31 PM »
Cubanos generally, in quality, run second to good Dominican or even Honduran... You may find a few (Cohiba, etc.), but often they tend to have travelled and sat a little too long...

Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:47:26 PM »
I found a web site (don't remember the site) that discussed Cuban cigars and how to ID them.  The bottom line was that it was next to impossible to know whether they were Cubans as there are so many bogus sellers and counterfeit cigars that claim to be Cuban.   The web site suggested you try smoking a variety of cigars till you find what you like, Cuban or otherwise.

The other thing I learned was that it is not illegal for someone outside the States to sell you a Cuban cigar.  It's illegal for you to purchase them.  So, they could be confiscated if you buy from the Web and they are intercepted.  You lose your money and you get busted.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 04:30:20 PM »
There are several Honduran and Dominican cigars that I really like. I've just never actually smoked a Cuban so I wanted to do so just for the "been to Disneyland once" novelty of saying that I did. Smiley

Might end up being an expensively bad tasting novelty, but we'll see....
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 05:38:49 PM »
On the other hand, a friend of mine gave me a small cigar that he said was Cuban.
I can't describe it other than it was a totally unique experience.  Delightful would be a word I'd use.  It was sweet and light and tasted like a good cigar smells.
Usually, to me, cigars smell wonderful but taste like dreck.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 05:49:21 PM »
Kinda like the Opus X?
My one experiment with a Cuban left me weak-kneed and dizzy. I'll stick with the Dominicans!

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »
My one experiment with a Cuban left me weak-kneed and dizzy. I'll stick with the Dominicans!
What'd she do to you?  Smiley

auschip

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 06:33:09 AM »
There are several Honduran and Dominican cigars that I really like. I've just never actually smoked a Cuban so I wanted to do so just for the "been to Disneyland once" novelty of saying that I did. Smiley

I tend to smoke stronger cigars (La Gloria Series R, La Aurora Preferidos, and La Flor Dominicana Chiselitos for example).  I liked the Montecristo #2s & Cohiba Robusto I smoked in Canadia. 

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 09:21:28 AM »
It is illegal for American citizens to purchase Cuban cigars.  police

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 05:24:30 PM »
What'd she do to you?  Smiley
Gentlemen do not speak of such things....

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 05:31:25 PM »
"It is illegal for Americans to purchase Cuban cigars."

I believe you are wrong. 
When we were on our cruise recently, we ported in 2 places in Mexico, and it was openly discussed by the cruise staff about the opportunity to buy Cuban cigars while there.  The ONLY stipulation was that we 'smoke 'em up' before we re-enter the US.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 06:30:14 PM »
It is illegal for American citizens to purchase Cuban cigars.  police
Nope.  It is illegal to import Cuban cigars (or anythig else Cuban) into the US.  There is nothing illegal about purchasing and/or smoking Cuban cigars, so long as you don't violate the Cuban embargo in the process.  If you find yourself on foreign soil, then smoke as many Cubans as you like.

I smoked a Cuban Montecristo once, and it was outstanding.  It was everything the Dominican Montecristos are (light, sweet, creamy), except more so.  If you have the opportunity, I'd definitely recomend you try one of them.

Doesn't Hoyo make some Cuban cigars?  If you like their non-Cuban versions, you should definitely check out their Cuban counterpart.

Fonseca makes a really nice mild cigar, and I believe there is a Cuban version of that one available for those not in the Land of the Free.

Whatever cigars you end up smoking, please let us know what you thought of them.  Inquiring minds would like to know.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 03:57:15 AM »
I am not much of a Cigar guy, but I have recently tried two from Cuba,
La Gloria Cubana, and a Diplomaticos.   If memory serves, thats what they were called.
Frankly, I could not tell you which was the better, or if they are better than other Cigars.  They all taste about the same to me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 04:59:30 AM »
I smoked a Cuban Montecristo once, and it was outstanding.  It was everything the Dominican Montecristos are (light, sweet, creamy), except more so.

That sounds right up my alley. I'll have to give that one a try. Didn't even realize Hoyo did Cubans -- it would definitely be interesting to do a comparison!

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 05:45:49 AM »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 06:13:41 PM »
I'm not sure American law has jurisdiction in foreign countries.  Even if the Fed thinks it does, it is blatantly unenforceable.  So smoke those Cuban cigars anyway.  Some laws are too stupid to be obeyed.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 11:11:33 PM »
Oooops; wrong thread. Ah, cigars. I like Macanudo for a really good smoke.

-------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org