Author Topic: TEEN GOES NUCLEAR: He creates fusion in his Oakland Township home  (Read 2043 times)

Desertdog

• friends
There is still hope for us with kids coming on line for research.

TEEN GOES NUCLEAR: He creates fusion in his Oakland Township home
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061119/NEWS03/611190639

On the surface, Thiago Olson is like any typical teenager.

He's on the cross country and track teams at Stoney Creek High School in Rochester Hills. He's a good-looking, clean-cut 17-year-old with a 3.75 grade point average, and he has his eyes fixed on the next big step: college.

But to his friends, Thiago is known as "the mad scientist."

In the basement of his parents' Oakland Township home, tucked away in an area most aren't privy to see, Thiago is exhausting his love of physics on a project that has taken him more than two years and 1,000 hours to research and build -- a large, intricate machine that , on a small scale, creates nuclear fusion.

Nuclear fusion -- when atoms are combined to create energy -- is "kind of like the holy grail of physics," he said.

In fact, on www.fusor.net, the Stoney Creek senior is ranked as the 18th amateur in the world to create nuclear fusion. So, how does he do it?

Pointing to the steel chamber where all the magic happens, Thiago said on Friday that this piece of the puzzle serves as a vacuum. The air is sucked out and into a filter.

Then, deuterium gas -- a form of hydrogen -- is injected into the vacuum. About 40,000 volts of electricity are charged into the chamber from a piece of equipment taken from an old mammogram machine. As the machine runs, the atoms in the chamber are attracted to the center and soon -- ta da -- nuclear fusion.

Thiago said when that happens, a small intense ball of energy forms.

He first achieved fusion in September and has been perfecting the machine he built in his parents' garage ever since.

This year, Thiago was a semifinalist for the Siemens Foundation's National Research Competition. He plans to enter the Science and Engineering Fair of Metropolitan Detroit, which is in March, in hopes of qualifying to be in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in New Mexico in May.

To his mom and dad, he's still reminiscent of the 5-year-old who toiled over a kid-friendly chemistry set and, then at age 9, was able to change the battery in his older brother's car.

Now, in a small room in the basement, Thiago has set up a science lab -- where bottles marked "potassium hydroxide" and "methanol" sit on shelves and a worn, old book, titled "The Atomic Fingerprint: Neutron Activation Analysis" piled among others in the empty sink.

Thiago's mom, Natalice Olson, initially was leery of the project, even though the only real danger from the fusion machine is the high voltage and small amount of X-rays emitted through a glass window in the vacuum chamber -- through which Olson videotapes the fusion in action..

But, she wasn't really surprised, since he was always coming up with lofty ideas.

"Originally, he wanted to build a hyperbaric chamber," she said, adding that she promptly said no. But, when he came asking about the nuclear fusion machine, she relented.

"I think it was pretty brave that he could think that he was capable to do something so amazing," she said.

Thiago's dad, Mark Olson, helped with some of the construction and electrical work. To get all of the necessary parts, Thiago scoured the Internet, buying items on eBay and using his age to persuade manufacturers to give him discounts. The design of the model came from his own ideas and some suggestions from other science-lovers he met online.

Someday, he hopes to work for the federal government -- just like his grandfather, Clarence Olson, who designed tanks for the Department of Defense after World War II. Thiago, who is modest and humble about his accomplishment, said he knew from an early age what he would do for a living.

"I was always interested in science," he said. "It's always been my best subject in school."

But, his mom had other ideas.

"I thought he was going to be a cook," Natalice Olson said, "because he liked to mix things."

Contact GINA DAMRON at 248-351-3293 or at gdamron@freepress.com.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Re: TEEN GOES NUCLEAR: He creates fusion in his Oakland Township home
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 06:01:52 PM »
"I thought he was going to be a cook," Natalice Olson said, "because he liked to mix things."
I think she was right - just not in the way she anticipated.

That kid's parents should be proud of him; very, very proud.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:09:38 PM »
Crud, maybe its time to retire and tend to my patio garden  17 y/o kid achieves fusion with scrounge'd parts and I can't even puzzle out a freaking site to site VPN. : banghead :

Any indication that this reaction is a net + energy producer?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:21:29 PM »
How long before the ATF busts down his door because he's making nuclear bombs? rolleyes
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 06:59:16 PM »
How long before the ATF busts down his door because he's making nuclear bombs? rolleyes

I would be very surprised if the government is not interested in his work. It is not a big step from fusion to fusion bomb.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 08:07:18 PM »
I hear they're hiring in North Korea.   police

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 08:16:49 PM »
Well, they type of fusion reactor he has created is referred to as a "fusor".

This device is not a net energy producer, in fact it does not have any means through which to extract any of the energy produced by deuterium fusion.  It is more a "proof of concept" type of device which, while able to produce true fusion, doesn't do much of anything else.   It generates some soft x-rays, as well as releasing neutrons.  In fact, the best means of determining that fusion is taking place in this device is with a neutron counter.  An x-ray detector is also a good means to determine that the fusion reaction has initiated. 

The fusion reaction does generate a purple-bluish glow which is thought to be generated by the neutrons leaving the fusion reaction at near the speed of light. 

I'd love to build one of these myself, but I've already got too many hobbies......

That and the apartment manager might not like the idea of a fusion reactor very well.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 08:22:16 PM »
You know, when I read the thread title I was sure that it would be something from 'The Onion'. But this is pretty cool stuff here.  cool smiley

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 01:45:41 AM »
Anyone else think it odd mom said no to a hyperbaric chamber but was fine with a nuclear fusion machine?

Just look at the happy laughing people in the oxegen rich enviroment.   cheesy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbaric_oxygen_therapy

My mom flipped out when I modified a toaster (got it free) to use in manufacturing my own paper.  No risk of fire, had the Physics worked out....  sad
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 01:56:11 AM »
"Originally, he wanted to build a hyperbaric chamber," she said, adding that she promptly said no. But, when he came asking about the nuclear fusion machine, she relented.

THIAGO: "Mom, can I build a hyperbaric chamber in the garage?"
MOM: "Absolutely not; what do you want such a dangerous thing for? You'll blow us all to Kingdom Come."
THIAGO: "Aw, Mom, hyperbaric chambers are cool. You're so old-fashioned."
MOM: I said no, and I mean no. No hyperbaric chambers for you, young man."
THIAGO: "Well, can I build a fusion reactor then?"
MOM: "Fusion reactor? Sure, no problem."

rolleyes

TC
TC
RT Refugee

mfree

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 04:10:25 AM »
www.fusor.net

Hirsch-Farnsworth devices. Everyone's all up in arms about the kid "making fusion!" when all these things really are is a vacuum vessel, a center electrode, and a high voltage source. The hardest part about it is drawing down low enough of a vacuum for actual fusion work.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 09:08:30 AM »
This is actually not a difficult thing to do, and this teen isn't the first person to do it by a long shot.  I've been reading about people's personal experiences for years.  If anything, it proves he's good at metal working.

-Nick

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 11:11:16 AM »
BAWAAAHAHH!

Remember the doom and gloomers?  Those who said all is lost as we are running out of oil and will have no energy. 

Oh, woe is us cried the doom and gloomers.  Pish posh said The Badger.  Right now someone is working on the solution in his garage--just get out of the way!

A 17 year old, a high school student makes nuclear energy in his parents' basement!  Give that kid a full ride through his PhD to MIT, Purdue or Harvey Mudd right this instant!  get out of this kid's way, he's going to help us all. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Volt

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 11:19:56 AM »
He makes a slight rounding error on his math and accidently creates a microscopic black hole that quickly grows and pulls the entire earth and solar system into it. Oops!  shocked
My user name is lbmii on the "High Road".

crt360

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 12:21:08 PM »
My mom flipped out when I modified a toaster (got it free) to use in manufacturing my own paper.
Now that's pretty cool.  I've made some toast that tasted like paper, but I never actually had "paper" pop out.
For entertainment purposes only.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 06:46:38 PM »
Anyone else think it odd mom said no to a hyperbaric chamber but was fine with a nuclear fusion machine?

Just look at the happy laughing people in the oxegen rich enviroment.   cheesy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbaric_oxygen_therapy

My mom flipped out when I modified a toaster (got it free) to use in manufacturing my own paper.  No risk of fire, had the Physics worked out....  sad
I noticed that too.  Instead of allowing him to build a pressure chamber, Mom opted instead for a vacuum chamber... 

...with a fusion reaction inside.   shocked

My other questions were:  Where does he get his deuterium from? and Who funds his mad science?

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 07:07:35 PM »
Not really, for me.  Mom probably figured he could make a high pressure chamber and maybe cause an explosion.

But mom probably figured her son would never be able to make a nuclear fusion machine, so she gave her permission, figuring he was safe with that project.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 08:07:31 PM »

My other questions were:  Where does he get his deuterium from? and Who funds his mad science?

Deuterium gas can actually be purchased legally with no restrictions from almost any chemical supply company.  And as far as fundy this research, a fusor can be built fairly inexpensively, say around 2 or 3 thousand dollars, or even more cheaply if you are a good scrounger, and can find people who are willing to do the machining/welding involved for little or no cost.  I know a lot of people who would be willing to help out a kid with his science project. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy