Author Topic: International nuclear fusion project is a go  (Read 780 times)

Nightfall

• friend
International nuclear fusion project is a go
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:38:27 AM »
Looks like this is going to become a reality, with funding approved by all involved yesterday:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

Just love the project criticisms. Greenpeace thinks pursuing fusion power is "madness."  rolleyes
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Re: International nuclear fusion project is a go
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:41:41 AM »
I hope it works.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 11:04:17 AM »
Just love the project criticisms. Greenpeace thinks pursuing fusion power is "madness." 

The madness is in not using Greenpeace members as a fuel source.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 11:36:15 AM »
Or whales, Brad.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 12:07:33 PM »
Greenpeace, simply put, is terrified fusion will work. One of Greenpeace's former head guys has "switched sides", and is now an advocate for the expansion of much "dirtier" fission technology, as he's come to the pragmatic realization that the issue of nuclear waste disposal is much smaller, than all other forms of chemical pollution from fossil fuels combined.

Most of the major environmental org's are just a front for anti-capitalisim, with a hefty dose of "Think of the planet!" instead of the more tried and true, "Think of the children!"  rolleyes

If/when commercial fusion power is availible, there's no upper limit on humanity, at least from a resources standpoint. Direct desalinization of seawater becomes economicaly viable, and almost any recycling technology, whether waste disposal, or materials reclamation, is suddenly economicaly feasable.

They want to hold us back. Even if humanity can "have it's cake and eat it", and enjoy limitless economic expansion, and protect the environment at the same time, they'd fight it. They see themselves as the gaurdians of Earth against the "arrogance of man". etc. etc. etc. And the concern over the "damage" we do is just a facade.

That is never more clear when one realizes their support of "renewable energy" is a sham too. Whenever a major windmill farm or solar project is proposed, there's some environmentalist who invariably springs up to fight that too. They always manage to find some poor bird that'll get chopped up by the blades at night, or some rat that'll be disturbed by setting up the solar panels.

It's really no different than gun control being about "control". At it's roots, the modern environmental movment is the same way.
I promise not to duck.