Author Topic: Chirping smoke detector 26 feet up  (Read 1523 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Chirping smoke detector 26 feet up
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
Wait!  Brainstorm idea!

Make the wall closest to the smoke alarm a climbing wall.  Then charge people toclimb up and change the battery.  Success!  Thanks me later.

FTFH

I'll take my thanks as a cut of the proceeds.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 10:30:25 PM »
FYI: From personal experience on a Battery only smoke detector: It started chirping, took out dying battery, kept chirping for almost a WEEK! The chirping part takes VERY little energy and a dying battery will go on FOREVER (it seems).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 11:33:40 PM »
FYI: From personal experience on a Battery only smoke detector: It started chirping, took out dying battery, kept chirping for almost a WEEK! The chirping part takes VERY little energy and a dying battery will go on FOREVER (it seems).

If it kept chipping after you took out the battery (which I infer from the sentence*)  then it must be a zombie detector. [tinfoil]

* I suspect you mean it chirped a long time before you excised the zombie battery .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 11:35:37 PM »
No, there is a capacitor or such that retains enough power to let the dang thing chirp for DAYS AFTER the battery has been removed!

(edited because I can't spell "is")
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:23:27 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 01:32:48 AM »
It is always the middle of the night, and it is always the one requiring an extremely tall ladder.  Iz phizzics.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 03:26:26 AM »
PS: I found removing the battery and then stuffing the beeping thing in an underwear drawer, deep under a large pile of cloth, will make it so you can sleep until you get fresh 9v batteries.
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 03:28:02 AM »
PPS: I now have a TON of 9v batteries and nothing to use them in as the apartment detectors are battery free, hard wired units!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »
No, there is a capacitor or such that retains enough power to let the dang thing chirp for DAYS AFTER the battery has been removed!

https://youtu.be/juzDIp2KkvA?t=1032
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 10:00:15 AM »
Be glad it's only chirping.

When I bought my house, I didn't realize the "hard wired" smoke detectors also needed batteries - and when the battery died on one, the alarms ALL went off. At 0200.  :facepalm:

I was not happy.

Same thing happened at about the 9 year mark when one of the detectors reached it's end-of-life.

New batch has lasted ~13 years so far, so I'm on borrowed time . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »
None with a ladder that high.  Plus, the foyer is about seven feet wide, so I am figuring out that even if I find a long enough ladder, can the base of the ladder be angled out away from the wall a sufficient distance for safety?

If it can't go any farther then what's the danger?  A ladder will work fine vertical if it's adequately secured that way.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
PPS: I now have a TON of 9v batteries and nothing to use them in as the apartment detectors are battery free, hard wired units!

Some TENS  units them. The kind that go all the way up to "fleeing felon."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »

High capacity capacitor ....got it. 

I can sympathize .... I've gotten to really despise electoniky things that make noises...... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »
What Brad said.  People are tempted to do something like this, but 30 feet is in the fatal fall category:

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.