Author Topic: Bill Clinton, the Tea Parties, and chutzpah  (Read 5648 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Bill Clinton, the Tea Parties, and chutzpah
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »
This is from an article from Townhall.com. I find it interesting that Clinton would single out the Tea Party movement as having the potential for violence when it's been the left in this country that's had the most violent protests. Perhaps Mr. Clinton should also remember that Oklahoma City was in part revenge for Waco, which happened on his watch.

Former President Bill Clinton warned of a slippery slope from angry anti-government rhetoric to violence like the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, saying "the words we use really do matter."

The two-term Democratic president insisted he wasn't trying to restrict free speech, but in remarks Friday he said incendiary language can be taken the wrong way by some Americans. He drew parallels to words demonizing the government before Oklahoma City.

On April 19, 1995, an anti-government conspiracy led by Army veteran Timothy McVeigh exploded a truck bomb outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 people.

"What we learned from Oklahoma City is not that we should gag each other or that we should reduce our passion for the positions we hold _ but that the words we use really do matter, because there's this vast echo chamber, and they go across space and they fall on the serious and the delirious alike. They fall on the connected and the unhinged alike," he said.

"One of the things that the conservatives have always brought to the table in America is a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility. And the more power you have and the more influence you have, the more responsibility you have."

Clinton made the remarks at events sponsored by the Center for American Progress Action Fund on the upcoming anniversary of the bombing.

He mentioned the rancorous fight over President Barack Obama's health care overhaul. Passage of the law elicited threats against some lawmakers.

"I'm glad they're fighting over health care and everything else. Let them have at it. But I think that all you have to do is read the paper every day to see how many people there are who are deeply, deeply troubled," he said.

He also alluded to the anti-government tea party movement, which held protests in several states Thursday. At the Washington rally, Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota railed against "gangster government."

Clinton argued that the Boston Tea Party was in response to taxation without representation. The current protesters, he said, are challenging taxation by elected officials, and the demonstrators have the power to vote them out of office.

"By all means keep fighting, by all means, keep arguing," he said. "But remember, words have consequences as much as actions do, and what we advocate, commensurate with our position and responsibility, we have to take responsibility for. We owe that to Oklahoma City."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Bill Clinton, the Tea Parties, and chutzpah
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 12:20:57 AM »
Now, now now, Monkeyleg, don't you understand? Rightwingers who are ticked off about the government are DANGEROUS and RACIST, while leftists who have done stuff like actually killed people are warm and fuzzy and become professors, community organizers, and politicians...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:22:13 AM »
"But remember, words have consequences as much as actions do, and what we advocate, commensurate with our position and responsibility, we have to take responsibility for. We owe that to Oklahoma City Kenneth Gladney."

Fixed that for ya, Bill.

Now, now now, Monkeyleg, don't you understand? Rightwingers who are ticked off about the government are DANGEROUS and RACIST, while leftists who have done stuff like actually killed people are warm and fuzzy and become professors, community organizers, and politicians...

Precisely so.  Also, remember that rightist protest is anti-government extremism; leftist dissent is the highest form of patriotism. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:25:58 AM »
I find it more than interesting that for the last two weeks or so we've been treated to a stream of stories generally in the legacy media warning the peeps of the dangers of overheated rhetoric.  The culprit is generally on the right side of the political spectrum.  Warnings of violence all point toward the right and its resurgent political protest.  Those of a paranoid mindset (re: reality based in experience) could sense an agent provocateur led event in the future.  I find it more than interesting that Clinton weighs in knowing clearly that he tried to pin OKC bombing on Limbaugh right after it happened.  Limbaugh nuked it immediately and the issue died.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
Perhaps Bill Clinton wants to become the new Jimmy Carter.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:57:30 AM »
I find it more than interesting that for the last two weeks or so we've been treated to a stream of stories generally in the legacy media warning the peeps of the dangers of overheated rhetoric.  The culprit is generally on the right side of the political spectrum.  Warnings of violence all point toward the right and its resurgent political protest.  Those of a paranoid mindset (re: reality based in experience) could sense an agent provocateur led event in the future.  I find it more than interesting that Clinton weighs in knowing clearly that he tried to pin OKC bombing on Limbaugh right after it happened.  Limbaugh nuked it immediately and the issue died.

=|

I sure hope not, but who really knows.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »
Look for a law banning the "Don't Tread on Me" flag. That might be a first sign. That, or maybe a Reichstag-fire-style event.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
I bet there's more arrests and/or violence at a single, average San Francisco "peace protest" than in all the Tea Parties ever held.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
Look for a law banning the "Don't Tread on Me" flag. That might be a first sign. That, or maybe a Reichstag-fire-style event.

You mean the US Navy war jack? See avatar. I asked the signalman/quartermaster for one before I left active. I wante one we had flown, but she got me a new one. Good luck banning it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
CNN had a special, recently about that Stack guy.  At the bottom corner was a big "Death and TAXES" logo.  I didn't watch the whole thing, though, but I got the subliminal gist...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
Perhaps Bill Clinton wants to become the new Jimmy Carter.
No, Jimmy actually did some useful work between the time he was POTUS and the time be became a bitter old anti-semite . . . I can't see Clinton actually soiling his hands with manual labor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Here in Grand Rapids, a Democrat candidate for state office, a gentleman of color, gave a short address to the tea party festivity on tax day.  He congratulated Obama and made some other typical Democrat comments.  He reported to the media that he was NOT booed, NOT heckled, WAS treated with dignity and the crowd was polite and did in NO way interfere with his message.  His other comments were that the group was festive and orderly.

Hmmmmm.  I wonder what planet Clinton and the MSM are living on?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »
You mean the US Navy war jack?

I believe he means the Gadsden flag.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
Like I have said before.  The tea party, right wingers and anyone who dares talk aganst Obama is being painted with the brush of racism and violence. What the end game is, who knows? 
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »
Ironical, given that fool had more to do with that demonizing of government during his admin than the current one had managed yet..

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 06:16:48 AM »
Hmmmmm.  I wonder what planet Clinton and the MSM are living on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPP3gkh_00 [popcorn]

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 09:59:08 AM »
Yep.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:19 AM »
I believe he means the Gadsden flag.

Though the First Navy Jack (French G.'s av pic) was mentioned as "extremist paraphernalia" in a certain DHS report along with the Gadsden flag (not just mentioned, shown by picture).