Author Topic: Mayors Launch New National Campaign to Close the Gun Show Loophole  (Read 2858 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
www.closetheloophole.org

Mayors Against Illegal Guns Launch New National Campaign to Close the Gun Show Loophole

TV Ads Urging US Senators to Close the Loophole Are Running Nationally and in Targeted Markets in Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Virginia

New Website - www.CloseTheLoophole.org - Kicks-Off Online Petition Campaign to Congress on the 11th Anniversary of the Columbine High School Shootings
DENVER, April 20 /PRNewswire/ -- The bi-partisan coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns today announced the launch of a new national campaign to close the Gun Show Loophole.  The Gun Show Loophole is a gap in federal law that enables criminals to buy guns at gun shows without undergoing a background check.
"Today marks the 11th anniversary of the tragic shootings at Columbine High School," said New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. "Last Friday was the three year anniversary of the nation's deadliest mass shooting at Virginia Tech.  Each day, 35 people in America are murdered with guns – the equivalent of a Virginia Tech massacre every single day.  Yet while criminals are busy evading critical background checks at gun shows, Congress continues to turn a blind eye to this glaring gap in our nation's gun laws.  This new national campaign will deliver a clear message to Washington: it's time to close the Gun Show Loophole once and for all."
"Closing the Gun Show Loophole has always been one of the coalition's highest priorities," said Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.  "Right now, anyone, including felons and people with serious mental health histories, can buy a gun from a private seller at a gun show without a background check.  In turn, guns purchased at gun shows flood the streets of our cities and are recovered in murders, assaults, and other violent crimes.  That's why America's mayors are launching this campaign today – to protect our cities from illegal guns and the criminals who carry them."
TV Ads to Run Nationally and on Local Outlets in Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Virginia
Television advertisements will appear on the national cable networks of CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, as well in local markets across five states: Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Virginia.  The TV ads begin today, and will run through the week.  The advertisements are an appeal to the United States Senate to act on closing the Gun Show Loophole.  Currently, S.843 and H.R.2324, bills that close the gun show loophole, are pending in the U.S. Congress.  In particular, key Senators who could be instrumental in advancing legislation to close the Loophole are being asked to take a stand.  Local broadcast channels will air advertisements urging Senator Mark Udall in Colorado, Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins in Maine, Senator Scott Brown in Massachusetts, Senator George Voinovich in Ohio, and Senators Jim Webb and Mark Warner in Virginia to close the Loophole.  The TV ads can be viewed on http://www.closetheloophole.org/ads.
Mayors Against Illegal Guns is launching this appeal for Senators to take action on the 11th anniversary of the Columbine High School mass shooting.  All four guns used in the Columbine shootings were bought from private sellers at gun shows.  In the nearly 10 years since 70 percent of Coloradans voted to close the Gun Show Loophole by state referendum in 2000, federal legislation to close the Loophole has failed to pass in the United States Congress.
"The campaign to close the Gun Show Loophole is not about partisan politics.  It's about protecting public safety," said Jacksonville Mayor John Peyton.  "I joined Mayors Against Illegal Guns because I know that respect for the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners is completely compatible with our efforts to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals.  Supporting background checks for all gun sales at gun shows is a belief I share with most Americans, including a majority of National Rifle Association gun owners."
"Many Virginians hold their guns dear, but no one wants to see guns end up in the wrong hands," said Dwight C. Jones, Mayor of Richmond, Virginia.  "I support closing the gun show loophole and making it harder for criminals to get their hands on guns.  This is a clear way to stem violence and ensure public safety."
"It's inexcusable that a gap in federal law enables criminals and other dangerous people to buy guns at gun shows – no background checks, no questions asked," said Larry Gilbert, Mayor of Lewiston, Maine.  "As a former police chief and United States Marshall, I know how dangerous this loophole is.  We need to close this gap in federal law once and for all, to protect our communities and to keep our police safe.  I applaud this campaign by Mayors Against Illegal Guns and urge our elected officials in Washington to take action."
"I have always fought to curb gun violence in our neighborhoods," said Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman.  "Throughout Ohio, concerned citizens are speaking out how the Gun Show Loophole endangers our residents, our police, and our neighborhoods as a whole.  This campaign of 500 mayors across the country is an important step toward closing this gap in the background check system."   
New Website – www.ClosetheLoophole.org – Launching Online Petition Campaign to Congress
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

PTK

• friends
Re: Mayors Launch New National Campaign to Close the Gun Show Loophole
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
Although it doesn't translate through the internet (glad about that one), I just broke wind. That is what I think of this movement.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
so whois closetheloophole.org?

Domain ID:D156915021-LROR
Domain Name:CLOSETHELOOPHOLE.ORG
Created On:19-Aug-2009 22:52:56 UTC
Last Updated On:19-Oct-2009 03:52:55 UTC
Expiration Date:19-Aug-2010 22:52:56 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
Registrant ID:CR12725012
Registrant Name:Stephen Geer
Registrant Street1:1800 Belmont Rd
Registrant Street2:Apt 2
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Washington
Registrant State/Province:District of Columbia
Registrant Postal Code:20009
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.2024670048
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:stephen.geer@gmail.com
Admin ID:CR12725014
Admin Name:Stephen Geer
Admin Street1:1800 Belmont Rd
Admin Street2:Apt 2
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Washington
Admin State/Province:District of Columbia
Admin Postal Code:20009
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.2024670048

interesting phone number:
http://ompdirect.com/about_staff_partners.php
OMP is a full-service fundraising and communications agency that serves leading causes in the United States, moving with ease among the charitable, advocacy, and political landscapes. Our mission is to help organizations meet and exceed their fundraising and communications goals.

who is stephen.geer?

Stephen Geer

Director of Email and Online Fundraising at Obama for America
Washington D.C. Metro Area

Past
Manager of Online Advocacy at Center for American Progress
Director of Online Operations at Children's Defense Fund
Webmaster for the College of Arts and Sciences at American University

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephengeer

http://twitter.com/stephengeer

http://www.facebook.com/stephengeer

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
Bravo, Harold, bravo.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »
Perhaps stephen.geer@gmail.com is interested in auto-delivered tubgirl pr0n?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »
so whois closetheloophole.org?

Admin Name:Stephen Geer
Admin Street1:1800 Belmont Rd
Admin Street2:Apt 2
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Washington
Admin State/Province:District of Columbia
Admin Postal Code:20009
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.2024670048

interesting phone number:
http://ompdirect.com/about_staff_partners.php
OMP is a full-service fundraising and communications agency that serves leading causes in the United States, moving with ease among the charitable, advocacy, and political landscapes. Our mission is to help organizations meet and exceed their fundraising and communications goals.

who is stephen.geer?

Stephen Geer

Director of Email and Online Fundraising at Obama for America
Washington D.C. Metro Area

My, my, my. That's... telling.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:44:43 AM »
quite telling

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »
The Joyce Foundation Presents
New Tools in the Advocacy Toolkit:
Microtargeting, Netroots Mobilization, and e-Advocacy
Chicago, Illinois
December 2009

Includes introductions from Joyce Foundation President, Ellen S. Alberding and panel moderator Steve Geer, Vice President for New Media at OMP, a Washington, DC based direct marketing firm

http://vimeo.com/8189080

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:59 AM »
President Obama’s former director of online fundraising Stephen Geer is convinced “We’re not gonna see 2008 again.”
Geer led the President’s successful online campaign that ultimately raised $500 million … the majority of which came from a click of button. His main tool? Email. Something we’ll see a lot more of he tells a crowd at The Liason attending a BizBash breakfast on fundraising’s future.
Geer was part of a panel of Washington money makers. Moderated by CBS’ Nancy Cordes the talk included insight from Wiley Rein’s Jan Baran,  Dick Cheney’s former press secretary and Washington hostess  Juleanna Glover, Hillary Clinton’s former National Finance Director Jonathan Mantz and Lisa Spies from The LS Group.

http://www.washingtonlife.com/tag/stephen-geer/

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:54:51 AM »
He does swim in tainted waters, doesn't he?   [barf]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 11:02:46 AM »
Astroturfing.  Rule number whatever:  Accuse your enemies of doing what you yourself are doing to them.  There aren't any grassroots associated with the Obama administration, which was evidenced by how quickly they claimed the Tea party movement wasn't grassroots.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
Perhaps stephen.geer@gmail.com is interested in auto-delivered tubgirl pr0n?

I wonder if he would also be interested in gerbils like Richard?

Could this information be sent to Drudge?  It's interesting that the obama jihad is involved.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »
I'm not sure if Geer is still on an Obama payroll,
but he did moveOn to a nice gig at a Democratic lobby group.

It's kinda sloppy to leave the registration data tied to personal data.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »
I'm not sure if Geer is still on an Obama payroll,
but he did moveOn to a nice gig at a Democratic lobby group.

It's kinda sloppy to leave the registration data tied to personal data.

Arrogance?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »
I wonder if he would also be interested in gerbils like Richard?

Could this information be sent to Drudge?  It's interesting that the obama jihad is involved.
Drudge only reports huge gun stuff like Heller or McDonald, he wouldn't give this the time of day-he doesn't seem to give a rats rear end about gun stuff.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."