Author Topic: the next Senator from NY?  (Read 8579 times)

longeyes

• friend
the next Senator from NY?
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »
McCarthy knocks Gillibrand as choice for Senate

BY REID J. EPSTEIN | reid.epstein@newsday.com
10:03 PM EST, January 22, 2009
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy said Thursday Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand's gun control views make her unacceptable for the U.S. Senate and threatened a primary challenge in 2010 if Gov. David A. Paterson selects the Hudson Democrat to replace Hillary Rodham Clinton.

McCarthy, who became a prominent gun-control advocate after her husband died and her son was injured in the 1993 massacre at the Long Island Rail Road's Merillon Avenue station that killed six people and injured 19 others, said she is "furious" about reports that Paterson today may select Gillibrand, who last year earned an "A" grade from the National Rifle Association.

"I've spent 15 years trying to prevent gun violence in this country, and if he does pick her and if no one goes and primaries her, I will primary her," McCarthy said. "I will do that. I'm not going to give up on this. I'm not going to let New York State get represented by someone who gets a 100 percent rating from the NRA."

Sen. Charles Schumer, who like McCarthy is a strong proponent of gun control, asked the Mineola Democrat to refrain from protesting Gillibrand's selection, McCarthy said.

"He said, 'Why don't you give her a chance?' " McCarthy said. "I said, 'I've talked to her on the floor, I'm sorry, I can't.' "

Schumer spokesman Josh Vlasto confirmed McCarthy called Schumer Thursday. He "made it clear to the congresswoman that he didn't know if it was Gillibrand, but if it was, like any Democrat, we should give that person a chance," Vlasto said.

McCarthy said she will boycott today's Albany ceremony in which she said she expects Paterson to announce Gillibrand as the Senate pick.

"I will not show any support whatsoever," she said. "The majority of New Yorkers are trying to reduce gun violence. I just feel that everybody should know what her record is. If she changes, let's see it."

Gillibrand, whose office did not return phone calls yesterday, touts her gun acumen on her Web site and said she intends to support the Second Amendment.

"I learned at an early age how to safely handle a gun and I believe that every law-abiding citizen should always have the right to own arms," she says on her Web site.

Nassau Democratic Chairman Jay Jacobs said he did not expect McCarthy to follow through on her threat of a primary challenge. "What she meant to say is that if Gillibrand is selected, that she would need to moderate her views on gun control," he said.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

jackdanson

• friend
Re: the next Senator from NY?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »
Yay, that's a good thing. 

"What she meant to say is that if Gillibrand is selected, that she would need to moderate her views on gun control," he said.

meh, I hope she doesn't tow the party line.  I may actually vote for a moderate democrat if they weren't for gun control and abortion.  Too bad there are barely any moderate democrats.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:16:54 AM »
Yay, that's a good thing. 

meh, I hope she doesn't tow the party line.  I may actually vote for a moderate democrat if they weren't for gun control and abortion.  Too bad there are barely any moderate democrats.
Even the moderate Democrats serve tp put the extreme Democrats in charge.  The moderate Dems never seem to wind up in leadership positions in the party.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »
"I've spent 15 years trying to prevent gun violence in this country, and if he does pick her and if no one goes and primaries her, I will primary her," McCarthy said. "I will do that. I'm not going to give up on this. I'm not going to let New York State get represented by someone who gets a 100 percent rating from the NRA."

They should give that individual a special prize for whining.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

lone_gunman

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 07:41:08 AM »
Even the moderate Democrats serve tp put the extreme Democrats in charge.

The Democrats are already in charge.  It is inevitable that New York will send another Democrat to the Senate, since Paterson is a Democrat, and Hillary is a Democrat.

So aren't we better off with a moderate who is pro-gun than a liberal who is not???

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
The Democrats are already in charge.  It is inevitable that New York will send another Democrat to the Senate, since Paterson is a Democrat, and Hillary is a Democrat.

So aren't we better off with a moderate who is pro-gun than a liberal who is not???

It depends on how much she is required to "moderate" her views?  Remember that being moderate on gun control to Dems means pushing for an AWB, restrictions on who can own, etc.

lone_gunman

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
It depends on how much she is required to "moderate" her views?  Remember that being moderate on gun control to Dems means pushing for an AWB, restrictions on who can own, etc.

Even if they pressure her to moderate her views, we are still better off with her than a Democrat who is a philosophically committed liberal.  There is NO chance New York will send a conservative Republican to the Senate.  It is simply a matter of how liberal the person they send will be.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »
Awesome.

And McCarthy is such a whining brat. Even the Dem leadership should realize she's nothing but a liability and can her.

Oh, yes, and Chuckie backed this appointment, which means he and McCarthy will not be on each other's good side anymore. =)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »
She's very attractive too..

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
Her bio indicates she was a special counsel at HUD in 2000, working for Cuomo.  I wonder if she worked on the HUD agreement with S&W.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »
Her bio indicates she was a special counsel at HUD in 2000, working for Cuomo.  I wonder if she worked on the HUD agreement with S&W.

If this were true, how would she get an NRA 'A' rating?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
If this were true, how would she get an NRA 'A' rating?

The rating is based on voting record and responses to questionnaires.  Work history isn't examined. 

lone_gunman

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Buzz, I am not sure that is correct.

I am fairly certain that Sarah Brady would get an F rating by the NRA if she ran for office.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 12:29:49 PM »
Something to remember about Democrats: They do NOT have teh iron control of the republicans over their ilk.

This will be both good and bad; as infighting among the democrats will derail more than you realize.

If Bush wanted a republican congress to pass a bill, it was pretty much done.
If Obama wants to push a bill, he'll have to work through the democratic factions.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »
Obama lauds Gillibrand pick

Posted by Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor January 23, 2009 01:34 PM

President Obama just issued a statement praising the appointment of Representative Kirsten Gillibrand for the US Senate seat that Hillary Clinton left to become secretary of state.

"Governor Paterson made a wonderful choice in appointing Kirsten Gillibrand to fill Secretary Clinton’s seat in the United States Senate. I am confident that she will continue Secretary Clinton’s distinguished service to the people of New York and to our country.

"During her career, Kirsten has been a strong voice for transparency and reform in government and shares the belief that government should be open, accessible and work for all of our citizens. In Congress and as special counsel for the Department of Housing and Urban Development, she worked to strengthen public and private partnerships to invest in infrastructure and New York’s economy.

"At this time of great challenge, I know that Kirsten has the integrity, character, and dedication to public service to help us achieve our greatest goals."

Clinton also added her kudos in a statement: "Today I congratulate Kirsten Gillibrand on her appointment by Gov. Paterson to serve as senator from New York. Kristen is an intelligent and dedicated public servant and a dear friend. I'm pleased that this seat, which has been my great honor to hold, and which has in its history been held by leaders like former Sens. Daniel Patrick Moynihan and Robert F. Kennedy, will be in such capable hands. And I look forward to working with Sen. Gillibrand as we meet the challenges and seize the opportunities facing New York, our nation and the world."
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
Something to remember about Democrats: They do NOT have teh iron control of the republicans over their ilk.

This will be both good and bad; as infighting among the democrats will derail more than you realize.

If Bush wanted a republican congress to pass a bill, it was pretty much done.
If Obama wants to push a bill, he'll have to work through the democratic factions.

I think you are blind to the divisions in the republican party just as those of us looking from the other side are blind to the divisions in the democratic party.

Why do you think the term "RINO" was coined?

Personally, I don't see divisions on the Democrat side that come close to the Republican divisions.

I think I may be as blind to them as you are to the Republicans.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
The rating is based on voting record and responses to questionnaires.  Work history isn't examined. 

The NRA really needs to work on that.....heck, they even look at work history on their own employees (I hope)....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »
I think you are blind to the divisions in the republican party just as those of us looking from the other side are blind to the divisions in the democratic party.

Why do you think the term "RINO" was coined?

Personally, I don't see divisions on the Democrat side that come close to the Republican divisions.

I think I may be as blind to them as you are to the Republicans.

While I think you're right, I do think the republicans are better at bringing those "rinos" in line for important votes.  Democrats are not known for their organizational skills and leadership.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 09:06:56 PM »
kirston is from my district. we have had several correspondences.  one in particular was worth noting as she voiced not only her support for hunters rights, but was in favor of the right to bear arms for personal safety as well.

here is the quote from her letter

thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the impediments to our 2nd ammendment rights. i share your concerns about onerous laws that could prevent law abiding citizens from purchasing guns for their own defense or sport.

i, like many natives of upstate ny, grew up in a hunting family. i learned at an early age how to safely handle a gun, and i believe that every law abiding citizen should have the right to bear arms.

as a new member of congress from the 20th district, i assure you i will oppose any legislation that makes it more difficult for citizens to purchase guns. i can also assure that i will oppose hr 1022 if it comes to the floor for a vote.

thank you again for writing in and sharing your concerns about our 2nd amendment rights, and i hope that you keep in touch with my office regarding future legislation and concerns that you have.

sincerely,

kirsten e gillibrand
member of congress
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lone_gunman

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 11:34:14 PM »
So she is against the AWB, which Bush said he supported. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 04:30:29 AM »
...wait, a member of Congress is Shift-key-challenged?

This seems fake.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

john828

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »

This seems fake.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 08:04:09 AM »

This seems fake.

lol.  sorry, my quote from her snail mail....

my only question is, will she change her views now that she represents the entire state of ny? our backwoods community is pro gun, but many of her new constituents are not. should a senator uphold her own views, or represent the views of her state?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:23:27 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »
Represent the U.S. Constitution and the best values of a liberty-loving nation.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »
From another article on this, McCarthy clearly states this is a personal issue with her. Stating her personal agenda is not a good public remark for someone who is representing people. I'll be curious if Obama's support of Gillibrand will get McCarthy to disappear from the issue?

Recently sworn in for her seventh two-year term, McCarthy conceded that Democratic leaders have warned her to temper her remarks, but she appeared unrepentant: "I told the governor my feelings. I said I am strongly against one person and I gave him my reasons for it. Believe me, this is a personal issue for me."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."