Author Topic: Clint Eastwood at GOP convention.  (Read 8679 times)

slingshot

• friend
Re: Clint Eastwood at GOP convention.
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
I read that too about Clint.  He said he didn't know for sure what he was going to say until he was in waiting to go on stage.  That troubles me.  There is a bit too much trust involved there from the standpoint of the Republicans.  You can't afford loose cannons during a convention even though I felt some of the speakers at the DNC were rather "loose".
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »

You know, I listened to pundits ridicule, criticize, and snicker about Eastwood for a whole freaking week after he delivered that "improv" piece.

It was the single most discussed and reviled and revered presentation of the entire convention.

It eclipsed everything else, took the country by storm, and energized a whole segment of the grassroots that wasn't reached by anyone else.

Man, those loose cannons, those are such a hazard to politics.  You have to really manage your political presence.  You can't have people just speaking from the heart, tellin' it like it is, or gut-punching the opposition.

That's just so . . . unrefined.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »
Funny things come from unusual places.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2012, 03:06:28 AM »
Funny things come from unusual places.

"Liked" and "Shared"
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Man, those loose cannons, those are such a hazard to politics.  You have to really manage your political presence.  You can't have people just speaking from the heart, tellin' it like it is, or gut-punching the opposition.

That's just so . . . unrefined.

This, times a hundred. Have we forgotten that one of the reasons Obama got elected is because he speaks so elegantly? Really people? Y'all come down on Eastwood for not being a good public speaker, does that mean you'd rather have Obama (and all of his ilk) up there telling you pretty lies than someone speaking from his gut? Welcome to brain-washed America. Where we want to turn you into a smooth politician because that's what we expect to see because it reassures us that the speaker is sane and confident and worthy of our mindless devotion.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
This, times a hundred. Have we forgotten that one of the reasons Obama got elected is because he speaks so elegantly? Really people? Y'all come down on Eastwood for not being a good public speaker, does that mean you'd rather have Obama (and all of his ilk) up there telling you pretty lies than someone speaking from his gut? Welcome to brain-washed America. Where we want to turn you into a smooth politician because that's what we expect to see because it reassures us that the speaker is sane and confident and worthy of our mindless devotion.

I just watched the panel discussion on Fox News Sunday. The consensus was that Romney made the better argument on repairing the economy, but that Obama still maintained a lead in favorability. There was no clear explanation for this. My best conclusion is that, at least among the poll population, style and presentation are more highly valued than substantive argument.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »
One of the things that I chuckle about that Obama said is that you (the electorate) elected me to tell the truth.  His truth reflects Bill Clinton's speech at the convention that no president could have repared all the damage to the economy in one term.  The operable word is "all".  It is a sweeping generalization that is by design true. 

I go back to Clint's on stage discussion with the empty chair....  what?  I can't do that to myself...  Obama has been an empty chair.  It is time to lay him off and hire a new coach.  Let's not forget...  give me some time to get pass this pesky election and I will be more flexible...
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »
My best conclusion is that, at least among the poll population, style and presentation are more highly valued than substantive argument.

Very true, and the reason why NJ Governor Christie and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindahl could never be elected. Too fat, and too weird-looking.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »
No one said suffrage should be a suicide pact.

But in this culture it is looking more and more like that every cycle.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.