Author Topic: 40 year olds can now enlist!  (Read 1693 times)

telewinz

• friend
40 year olds can now enlist!
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:29:37 PM »
I'm 53, in another 6 months to a year I'll be signing up too!  I'm mature, loyal, motivated, won't bother the Arab women (the spirit is willing), can't retreat fast, I'm an expert on GAS (organic) warfare, can serve as a surrogate father figure for any captain or major, plus I can contribute my Vietnam experience to the mix.  Maybe I'll try for delayed entry! Don't forget Syria AFTER we deal with/liberate Iran plus we still have some payback due to Libya!  Ashamed my father's dead, in two years we could have joined under the buddy system, he could add his WWII experience to the mix and serve as a surrogate father figure for all the colonels and generals. Yea, their is nothing wrong, the Army is just expanding opportunities to include the patriotic geriatrics in our mist, how politically correct.  Due I get to keep my monthly Disabled Veterans compensation check?  Oh what the hell, in 6 months I'll receive a $150,000 enlistment bonus (prior service bonus) plus I'll have the opportunity to upgrade my disability.  WOW, America, the land of opportunity in Spades!  Maybe in 5 years when the bonus is up to a million dollars, we can entice the rich to swell our ranks too.  Now, about that North Korean thing...
Career Corrections

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:16:40 AM »
Something tells me recruitment goals aren't as rosey as what's being said.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:25:27 AM »
And to think there are people out there concerned that our military is over extended.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:39:08 AM »
I wonder how much Motrin it's gonna take to get those 40 yr olds outta the rack on day 2 of boot camp.

Every PT session is gonna require a half hour of stretching before and after.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

middy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:18:11 AM »
Hmmm... reconsidering enlistment again.

I don't know if my 35 year old body can take it, but I've been regretting never having served for a while now.

I know I could hack it if I got 8-10 hours of sleep every night, but something tells me that's unlikely. Smiley

middy

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 07:51:47 AM »
BTW, telewinz, where did you get this information?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 08:33:10 AM »
I think the Army makes a mistake setting the age limits they do.
When I was 18 (under Carter) enlisting was the last thing on my mind.  Now that I'm nearly 44 I think I'd like to do that.
In Israel reservists serve until they are about 50, iirc.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 08:37:35 AM »
Actually, Middy, in Marine Corps recruit training the recruits are required to have 8 hrs of rack time almost every night.  You'll lose 1 hr about every 3rd night when you're assigned to firewatch, and sometimes during infantry training you won't get the full 8 hrs, but probably 85%+ of the time you'll get 8 hrs.  It's not enough.  You're tired all of the time due to the unacustomed demands being placed on mind/body.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »
US Army raises enlistment age to 40

WASHINGTON, Jan 18, 2006 (AFP) - The US Army said Wednesday it has raised its maximum enlistment age from 35 to 40 years old and is doubling signing up bonuses to a high of 40,000 dollars.

The measures are the latest in a series of steps the army has taken over the past year to offset a slump in recruiting as it faces ongoing campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The army failed to hit its recruiting goal of 80,000 new recruits in fiscal 2005. Recruiting figures have since improved but the the war in Iraq has made it difficult to meet the demand for fresh soldiers.

Army Secretary Francis Harvey, however, denied charges that the army is a "broken force," telling reporters it has met its recruiting goals in the last seven months with the help of bonuses and other incentives.

But he acknowledged that recruiting remains "a month-to-month thing".

"As I said, the rest of the year looks promising. But we're certainly not going to sit on our laurels," he said.

Raising the maximum age for enlistments "expands the recruiting pool, provides motivated individuals an opportunity to serve, and strengthens the readiness of army units," the army said in a statement.

The army is raising the maximum cash enlistment bonuses to 40,000 dollars for the active duty army, and 20,000 dollars for the army reserve, doubling the current maximums.

Older recruits are entitled to the same signing bonuses as younger ones, the army said.

"Experience has shown that older recruits who can meet the physical demands of military service generally make excellent soldiers based on their maturity, motivation, loyalty, and patriotism," the army said.
Career Corrections