Author Topic: The opposite of SF for a new warship - a warm welcome  (Read 1143 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
The opposite of SF for a new warship - a warm welcome
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:27:11 AM »
Glad to see this.  =)

Submarine New Hampshire has arrived
Vessel is welcomed into harbor
By Dave Choate
October 20, 2008 6:00 AM

PORTSMOUTH — On Sunday, the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard welcomed New Hampshire.

Dressing in coats and hats to brace against the chilly wind, people thronged both sides of the Piscataqua River to watch the submarine New Hampshire make its way to the shipyard, flanked by a trio of tugboats. Residents, local dignitaries and shipyard workers from New Hampshire and Maine were on hand as the massive black submarine docked, kicking off a week of festivities before the boat is commissioned on Saturday.

The crowds were rewarded with a parade of boats, led by Portsmouth's own fire boat, which fired a continuous arc of water into the air. Behind the submarine came the Coast Guard, crowds aboard the M/V Heritage and M/V Thomas Laighton cruise vessels and a New Hampshire State Police helicopter. After green-clad sailors atop the submarine waved to the crowd and helped tie up the ship, Cmdr. Mike Stevens and his crew got to shore. While everyone watched the mammoth submarine dock, Stevens said he was impressed with the Seacoast.

"It's a fantastic place. What a great reception we had with all the boats, and I'm surprised by the number of people along the coastline," Stevens said. "We're excited to be here."

Stevens said he made the decision to arrive from Groton, Conn., on Sunday instead of Tuesday, because of concerns about rough weather later in the week. He was rewarded with the enthusiastic crowd and fairly clear skies.

New Hampshire Community Commissioning Committee spokeswoman Stephanie Seacord said the group has planned for the commissioning in less time than usual, and the sudden change in the arrival date threw them for a loop. Working through the weekend, Seacord said the committee managed to get everyone involved in the boat parade and added that the community has rallied behind the idea.

"We scrambled," she said with a chuckle. "There's so much enthusiasm ... this is a Navy town."

Virginia-class attack sub, 134 crew, can run for 33 years without refueling. I doubt she will be open for tours!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:36:32 AM by Manedwolf »

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: The opposite of SF for a new warship - a warm welcome
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
I'm still bitter over the Virginia class since there STILL has not been a completed USS Montana since WW1 and the navy told our congressional delegation where to stick it after initially stating one would be named that.  They still can't be bitter over Jeanette Rankin can they?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
Well, you ALMOST had one of the Super Iowas, but they cancelled them to build more Essex class carriers... :D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »
Would be nice to have the namesake, but I doubt the USS Montana would putter up the Missouri River to visit us  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin