Author Topic: Power banks  (Read 1171 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Power banks
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:23:24 AM »
No, I'm not talking about the big money banks, I'm talking about the portable devices you can use to charge electronic devices, like cell phones.  We've bought a few of the ones you see at Target and other places for $15-$25 per battery, and it seems like they either won't charge a phone more than half a charge, or the darned things last only a few months of diminishing performance before they don't work at all.  Last one I picked up in a bargain bin at the grocery store wasn't worth the $5 I paid for it, as it only put about 15% onto my phone.  Anyone have a good power bank they can recommend?  Primarily use it for my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, my iPod, and occasionally my Samsung tablet.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Power banks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »
I've been using an Inland charger, like this one, for a few months.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/429346/2600_mAh_Power_Bank_Battery_Charger_for_Mobile_Devices_-_Black

It has no problem charging my phone, although I can't speak to its endurance. I've only used it a handful of times.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
The battery capacity of the S7 is 3000mAh.  I would get a charger that is at least 3X of that if you want any use out of it.  I bought a couple of different  brands (20000mAh) on Amazon over the past 3yrs.  Each was around $25 with free shipping. Both still work well.  Of course neither are still available. This one looks decent and gets good reviews.  It is the size of another phone though.  https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-20000mAh-Portable-Recharge-Capacity/dp/B01422TC14/ref=pd_sim_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01422TC14&pd_rd_r=PZ769WBQQ7BFED5N6JEQ&pd_rd_w=ooMQu&pd_rd_wg=VymN4&psc=1&refRID=PZ769WBQQ7BFED5N6JEQ

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »
Anker
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Portable-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B00Z9QVE4Q

I've got an 10Ah Anker that's about 3-4 years old, I still get multiple full charges off it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 10:39:56 AM »
Anker

My wife bought me an Anker brand power bank a few years back for Christmas.  The thing works like a champ.  It charges my S4 without a problem, and usually has about 25% charge leftover.
I picked it up off the desk the other day after it sat unused for a couple of months, and the charge indicator still indicated 100%.  The self-discharge rate must be pretty low.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
I have a smaller Anker that I bought maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

It sat unused in a desk drawer for the better part of 18 months. I pulled it out a few weeks ago and it still had 75% charge.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
Anker  Power Core 20100 ordered from Amazon for $41.  See how long I can keep it before my wife takes it as her own.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
Anker  Power Core 20100 ordered from Amazon for $41.  See how long I can keep it before my wife takes it as her own.

Silly man...

It's hers already.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 08:08:26 PM »

Silly man...

It's hers already.

Likely so.  Only thing of mine that has stayed mine are my tools and most of my firearms.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »
I have an anker unit that chargeomy phone about 4 times. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  So far so good. I do wish that I could charge the pack while also charging my phone, but it doesn't allow that.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »
Likely so.  Only thing of mine that has stayed mine are my tools and most of my firearms.   :lol:

That's called "throwing you a bone."