Author Topic: Runner's World Magazine Promotes Running and Gun Bans  (Read 2359 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Runner's World Magazine Promotes Running and Gun Bans
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
From an NRA/ILA alert email:

Runner's World Promotes Handgun Ban alongside Shoe Reviews, Training Recipes

One of the regrettable consequences of the political class's obsession with gun control legislation (despite the American public not considering guns a significant problem) is that it encourages people and publications that otherwise aren't political into sharing their oblivious opinions on the matter. Such is the case with a November 5th column on the website of Runner's World magazine. Nestled on a front page that includes an article on "How Pumpkins Can Help Your Running" and a video titled "Power Yoga for Runners" is a piece by track athlete Nick Symmonds calling for a ban on handguns and popular semi-automatic rifles.

Attempting to pander to those who actually value their rights, Symmonds starts off the column by boasting, "I love my Second Amendment right." Symmonds then spends the remainder of the paragraph channeling Bill Clinton and John Kerry by listing his hunting bona fides as pro-Second Amendment credentials.

Later on, Symmonds proposes a legislative "compromise" that would "[ban assault rifles and handguns for everyone except police and military personnel." Under his proposal, Symmonds would graciously "allow responsible citizens to own rifles and shotguns," as "[r]ifles are for big-game animals, [and] shotguns are for birds." Nowhere does Symmonds entertain the notion that firearms have legitimate, constitutionally protected, self-defense applications.

Full story:

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/11/runners-world-promotes-handgun-ban-alongside-shoe-reviews,-training-recipes.aspx
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:10:39 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Runner's World Magazine Promotes Running and Gun Bans
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 11:04:01 PM »
Rhodale press
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:54:31 AM »
Put the metrosexual publications in the trash can and populate your reading area with SWAT, Rifle, Handloader, and Easy Riders.  :P

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
I should write a column since I am having the great internal debate about what gun to buy as I ease back into middle of nowhere trail running. Torn between re-acquiring a P3AT or getting a Smith 342. Wonder if I should pitch it to Rodale?  :rofl:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
Rhodale press

Them?

Oh, Gawd. I stopped paying attention to Rhodale about 30 years ago after reading a how-to article in one of their rags explaining how (not) to do your own built-up (tar-and-gravel) roof. To say that their instructions were "wrong" would be akin to saying the Titanic encountered an ice cube.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
I should write a column since I am having the great internal debate about what gun to buy as I ease back into middle of nowhere trail running. Torn between re-acquiring a P3AT or getting a Smith 342.

I would like some recommendations on this as well, and carry methods.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »
Smith J-frame, alloy > KT P3-AT for running.  Got my Taurus Total Titanium 651 for running, walking, and hiking while sweating like a butcher.  The less steel the better.

Carry methods.
1. Jogging waist pouch, smallest one that will fit snubby & wallet.  Old-school fanny packs are too floppy.  I can't recall where I got mine, but it works handily.
2. Thunderwear.  Works, but I prefer the waist pouch because I can go in/out of the waist pouch for accessories more easily.
3. Belly band.  Requires baggy overshirt and an undershirt is suggested.  ONLY for quick outings, as the wide fabric/skin contact + sweat over time = heat rash.
4. Chest holster.  Better used for cycling & toting my SW1911, but will work under a baggy shirt for a walk or hike.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
Smith J-frame, alloy > KT P3-AT for running.  Got my Taurus Total Titanium 651 for running, walking, and hiking while sweating like a butcher.  The less steel the better.

Yup.  I'm thinking for firsty's expressed purpose, he might need something suitable for feral dogs.  I'd want something more than a p3at or copy.

What's the weight on that 651?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
Yup.  I'm thinking for firsty's expressed purpose, he might need something suitable for feral dogs.  I'd want something more than a p3at or copy.

What's the weight on that 651?

651 Total Ti in .357mag is 17oz.  "Bodyguard" humpback style with shrouded hammer.  If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten .38spl, what with the availability of Buffalo Bore .38spl +P & regular loads that are equivalent to mild .357mag at the muzzle.  SW J-frame airweight in .38spl is 15oz and as cheap or cheaper.  Can get lighter with high-dollar SW titanium jobs. 

I will keep the 651 unless someone makes me an attractive offer, as to only steel bits are the bbl liner and the lockwork.  Very little to rust and that little gets grease (where I can get at it) or CLP (where I can not).  The grease stays and resists moisture.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 09:01:47 AM »
Can anyone explain why I should give a flying flip what Rhodale Press opines?  Tree -- forest -- noise.  Who cares?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 09:59:34 AM »
Can anyone explain why I should give a flying flip what Rhodale Press opines?  Tree -- forest -- noise.  Who cares?

Indeed. I refuse to read what someone who published "An Inconvenient Truth Lie" by Al Gore
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »

Umm, because other voters are reading this fluff, and taking it seriously.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
The author and editors are getting their asses handed to them in the comments.   :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
People still read magazines?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
People still run?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
People still run?

Not me.  Hobble hobble.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.