Author Topic: S&W model 15 price check  (Read 719 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
S&W model 15 price check
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
Hey everyone, I'll be selling my Smith Model 15 here in southern California soon, and I would like some input on what is a fair price. It was made in 1958 according to my research, serial number is 3312xx. Click the link for a picture gallery. I would appreciate any input on what a fair price would be to ask for it.

http://imgur.com/a/WH8nO

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: S&W model 15 price check
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
With the holster wear, use marks, 1950's vintage (You don't have the box, or any original S&W factory papers do you? ) about 90%+ finish on the bluing...

2" snubbies seem to go for more than the 4", and factory nickel commands a bit more too. 

Don't have a blue-book, but averaging out Gunbroker results, not a lot of them have actually sold for the asking price or reserve price, but the bidding seems to peter out around $450 or so on the "hot" auctions that have more than three bids to them.

I would say $400-450 private sale. You could possibly get $500 if you've got a factory box and some papers in there. Gun store would possibly give you $375 for it. Unless there's something unique about the serial number range etc. that I'm not taking into consideration that might matter to a S&W collector.

Probably could have gotten more for it 5 years ago or more right after Safe-T-Hammer bought S&W and the lock became standard, and pre-lock S&W were commanding a premium, and the economy was better.
I promise not to duck.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
No papers or box.  From what I can tell, it's been carried a lot, shot a little.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »
You may want to ask on calguns.net.  Handguns generally go for more in California than in other states.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »
The first pic showing a sideplate screw, the one with the S&W emblem...

The screw looks buggered.  If it isn't, retake that shot.  Buggered screws will ding you on price more than honest wear.

Assuming the screw isn't buggered and it's an artifact of the photo, I agree with AJ on price.

BTW, the 1958 date makes it C&R.  That might make it easier to sell via Gunbroker or forums.

Chris